Options

From last weekend's workshop

bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
edited July 13, 2010 in Street and Documentary
As their main exercise in my July2-5 workshop, students were supposed to spend the 4th producing a 20-30 image story entitled "July 4th In Boston." They could - and did - shoot many hundreds of images, but ultimately it came down to 20-30. Robert Simpson, a Dgrinner, has given me permission to post this link and share his excellent results. And he told me he would welcome feedback.
bd@bdcolenphoto.com
"He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed

Comments

• Options
    Wil DavisWil Davis Registered Users Posts: 1,692 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2010
    Nice job, and I'm so miffed that I wasn't able to attend (other commitments…)

Great gallery!

thumb.gif

- Wil
    "…………………" - Marcel Marceau
  • Options
    edited July 7, 2010
    Wil Davis wrote: »
    Nice job, and I'm so miffed that I wasn't able to attend (other commitments…)

Great gallery!

thumb.gif

- Wil

Next time, Wil mwink.gif
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com

• Options
    BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2010
    Very cool slideshow and project.
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,919 moderator
    edited July 8, 2010
    Nice work, Robert. The sunset shots really appeal to me.
  • Options
    edited July 8, 2010
    Richard wrote: »
    Nice work, Robert. The sunset shots really appeal to me.

Robert did a fantastic job using that 'magic light' just before and at sunset. There were many more very nice shots from this brief time period.clap.gifclap
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com

• Options
    FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited July 9, 2010
    I looked at this early this morning before I had to be off for the day and have remembered it with pleasure since.

Robert did a superb joy capturing the 4th in Boston. I'm betting it was really hard to edit the set, but the result is well worth the effort (and the pain). I enjoyed each photo for itself, but also loved the way it captured the day.

I am in awe of the way Robert covered the territory. Up and down and on both sides of the river.

Great to have the time given for each photo.

A couple of my favorites were weeping willow and boy with flag and the backlit one of the kids in a tree at sunset. The golden light captures are delicious.

And I have to mention that I am probably a pixel or two in the photo taken at 8:08!

Bravo Robert!!!

Virginia

Email
  • Options
    neotech03neotech03 Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited July 13, 2010
    Thanks for the feedback
    Hi Virginia,

Thanks for your comments. It was a wonderful July 4th day! I'm happy that you were able to experience it for yourself.

I really enjoyed my crash course in street photography. I used a bike to stay mobile. My sunset photos were shot on the Boston side of the Esplanade as I walked through all the people.

I recently posted a blog entry on my street photography experience as related to my work in education

-Robert
    Flyinggina wrote: »
    I looked at this early this morning before I had to be off for the day and have remembered it with pleasure since.

Robert did a superb joy capturing the 4th in Boston. I'm betting it was really hard to edit the set, but the result is well worth the effort (and the pain). I enjoyed each photo for itself, but also loved the way it captured the day.

I am in awe of the way Robert covered the territory. Up and down and on both sides of the river.

Great to have the time given for each photo.

A couple of my favorites were weeping willow and boy with flag and the backlit one of the kids in a tree at sunset. The golden light captures are delicious.

And I have to mention that I am probably a pixel or two in the photo taken at 8:08!

Bravo Robert!!!

Virginia