Options

World Cup Alegría!

RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,908 moderator
edited July 13, 2010 in Street and Documentary
That's joy in Spanish.

These pics aren't great, but I think they convey the mood in Madrid last night after Spain won the soccer World Cup for the first time ever.
931937008_piXkV-L.jpg

931936436_cw5Rs-L.jpg

931935920_YYFyx-L.jpg

931935606_PMFGJ-L.jpg
The partying went on all night and today's newspaper headlines present it as the greatest thing that has happened since Columbus discovered America. I'm not a sports fan myself, but I have to say the joy was contagious.

Just thought I would share. Condolences to Ivar :wink.

Comments

• Options
    lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
    edited July 12, 2010
    Richard,
    Thanks for sharing these.
    It was thrilling to win--Paul the Octopus called it afterall:)

#3 really works for me with the people so tiny compared to the poster of their idols.

My little brother is in Spain-got there two days ago, just in time--we have yet to hear from him so I guess he's caught up in the celebration--it must have been incredible! I felt it just a little watching the tv, so I'm glad you shared these.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Options
    bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited July 12, 2010
    Don't know Jack about soccer ne_nau.gif

but I sure know I like all of these thumb.gif
    nice gams :D
  • Options
    Wil DavisWil Davis Registered Users Posts: 1,692 Major grins
    edited July 12, 2010
    Nice!

I love #1 - all those faces! …Bruegel! thumb.gif

- Wil (who was hoping for Ghana, but as it turned out, the best team won! thumb.gif)
    "…………………" - Marcel Marceau
  • Options
    rainbowrainbow Registered Users Posts: 2,765 Major grins
    edited July 12, 2010
    After the game, I wondered and hoped that you would go out and take/post some photos. You did not disappoint!

#1 captures the "alegria" very well. I assume the guy is holding his can out to you for a few coins so that he could buy a jersey...mwink.gif

#3 is very well done. That is one great poster for a backdrop of the fans doing stupid things to celebrate the victory.

Hope the celebration was all good natured and did not break out in mindless violence as the celebrants became intoxicated. Thanks for sharing!
  • Options
    edited July 12, 2010
    Thanks everyone. The celebration was about as peaceful as you could expect when a million drunken people are all on the street. The official party welcoming the team back to Spain is just getting underway and will probably run all night. I had plenty of fun last night, but I think I'll skip it.
  • Options
    ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited July 12, 2010
    I'm not sure I want to reply to this thread lol3.gif

Cool shots, my fav is #1 as well. Glad it turned in to a nice party. Over here nothing really happened afterwards actually. Seems like most people just went home.
  • Options
    SeefutlungSeefutlung Registered Users Posts: 2,781 Major grins
    edited July 12, 2010
    ivar wrote: »

Cool shots, my fav is #1 as well. Glad it turned in to a nice party. Over here nothing really happened afterwards actually. Seems like most people just went home.

Laughing.gif ... Looks like fun Richard ... I think that if the Octopus had called it wrong it would be ceviche by now.

Gary
    My snaps can be found here:
    Unsharp at any Speed
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited July 12, 2010

Sorry IVAR......I was rootin' fer your team.................
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    edited July 13, 2010

Cool shots, my fav is #1 as well. Glad it turned in to a nice party.
    Thanks, Ivar. 1 and 3 are my favorites. The partying is over and the Metro goes on strike tomorrow...back to normal.
    Seefutlung wrote: »
    Laughing.gif ... Looks like fun Richard ... I think that if the Octopus had called it wrong it would be ceviche by now.
    Paul was offered asylum here, but apparently the offer was declined. I suspect a Wall Street investment bank made a better offer. rolleyes1.gif