5D Mark III - First 24 Hours Review (post yours here!)

18910111214»

Comments

• Brett1000Brett1000 Registered Users Posts: 819 Major grins
    edited October 10, 2012
    dwphotoski wrote: »
    How does the 5D Mark III do with shooting sports? Is the autofocus fast and accurate? How about the FPS? I have the 5D Mark II and find it slower with focusing for sports than my eos 1D. Looking to upgrade my eos 1d and appreciate your thoughts. The new EOS 1dX looks very nice and fast but I am seeing if I can get great, fast results with the 5d Mark III.

I've seen plenty of nice sports pics on FM, POTN, etc. in the 5D3 section. Of course a 1DX would be better but at over $6K it's out of my league
  • billythekbillythek Registered Users Posts: 104 Major grins
    edited October 10, 2012
    I love DPP. It does not suck. Another valuable feature of it is the Dynamic Lens Optimizer. I did a little demonstration here:

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=219478

I had eliminated DPP from my workflow, but things like DLO are forcing me to reconsider. I still don't like the idea of having to work with a TIFF in Lightroom, though, but it does allow considerable adjustment.

I don't know why Canon doesn't work with Adobe to make these features available in ACR. Seems to me Canon is much better off if their images look better in the industry standard tools. After all, Canon sells cameras, not software. Someone needs to remind their management of that!
    - Bill
  • jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    edited October 10, 2012
    billythek wrote: »
    I had eliminated DPP from my workflow, but things like DLO are forcing me to reconsider. I still don't like the idea of having to work with a TIFF in Lightroom, though, but it does allow considerable adjustment.

I don't know why Canon doesn't work with Adobe to make these features available in ACR. Seems to me Canon is much better off if their images look better in the industry standard tools. After all, Canon sells cameras, not software. Someone needs to remind their management of that!

Yeah that would seem reasonable, wouldn't it. I can't imagine anyone is swayed to Canon or Nikon by the bundled software.

However I really like DPP and I really DO NOT like Lightroom. I know the output is fine, and maybe even better in some cases, but I've tried LR a few times and I find it 100% unintuitive. I feel like I need to take a class on it, and I am a friggen whiz on the computer, normally. I'll be bummed if DPP goes away.
    dwphotoski wrote: »
    How does the 5D Mark III do with shooting sports? Is the autofocus fast and accurate? How about the FPS? I have the 5D Mark II and find it slower with focusing for sports than my eos 1D. Looking to upgrade my eos 1d and appreciate your thoughts. The new EOS 1dX looks very nice and fast but I am seeing if I can get great, fast results with the 5d Mark III.

5D3 is AWESOME for sports. The AF rules. 6fps is on the slow side, but 8fps on the 7D isn't that much better, so the only other Canons worth considering are the 1D4 or 1DX. I don't find the FPS to be a big deal, I get more satisfaction out of timing my shots anyway, rather than just "spraying and praying".

The only issue with the 5D3 is that suddenly your 70-200 becomes rather short. But if you just wait for the action to come to you, you can get some really striking results. In everyday shooting I don't always see the Full Frame magic happening, but in sports I think it really makes a difference. I'm hesitant to get a 1.4x TC, because f/2.8 on FF is really something special.

soccer1.jpg
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • macwestmacwest Registered Users Posts: 33 Big grins
    edited October 17, 2012
    after the thrid 800 e
    I owned both the 5d3 and the 800e I just sent my 3rd 800e purchased (10/7) back to crutchfield for focus issues. When using anything but the center point the focus was very soft left or right with the center point images were tack sharp . Observations with both cameras, I shoot a lot of sunrises its what I like to do The 5d3 colors are wonderful right out of the Camera it was a lot of work with the Nikon to get what I call a golden look to the photos they looked very yellow to me but that is just my taste, I am not fond of shooting in Raw I have one day off a week Sunday that I can go out and shoot and I don't like post processing images. I did buy Capture Nx and it is a wonderful product. Low Light focus with both cameras when shooting sunrises it is a low light situation obviously and the Nikon had trouble locking on low contrast objects in low light the 5d3 did not, I mean very dark just before the dawn. Love the shutter sound of the Nikon, Had trouble removing the battery on the Nikon both have a very solid feel . Go out and try both before you buy these are just my opinions based on using both. One thing though why Nikon still has 800s that in October are suffering from the focus issue is a little disturbing.I used both cameras with 24-70 2.8s from Canon and Nikon I also had the 70- 200mm vr 2.8 on the Nikon . I just ordered the new 24-70 version 2 Canon but had to pay a premium to find one in stock from digatalrev. Cant wait to use it. Mac