Options

Car Show Rant

TonyCooperTonyCooper Registered Users Posts: 2,276 Major grins
edited March 7, 2016 in Other Cool Shots
Went to a car show today and ended up taking only two photographs.
Hundreds of cars, but all so closely packed together that a shot of any
car was difficult unless it was front- or rear-end only.

What's more, all hoods and trunk lids were up. Signs plastered all
over the cars.

Good for the people who like to look at cars, but not good for photos.

Ended up with this shot of a 1935 Ford Tudor's taillight. Nice paint job.

2016-02-27-3-X3.jpg
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/

Comments

• Options
    StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2016
    This looks like it was taken from star bird side of Star Ship Enterprise, when they obviously turned the lights on for valentines day or something.
  • Options
    black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,321 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2016
    Great piece of work here, Tony. It could make for a very nice wall display.

I understand your frustrations at the show you attended. I've quit going to shows that jam the cars so close together. The really big shows do a better job of spacing the cars but even some of them have gotten so bad that I've dropped them from my itinerary.

Take care,

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2016
    This is the main reason I no longed get interested in going to car shows.

It's all to much for my delicate sensibilities.

Cars packed so close you can barely walk between them, printed signs covering everything up, folks with copious midsections overflowing shorts leading to raged flipflops sitting in folding chairs while presenting immaculate, incredibly detailed autos restored with loving care that are wonders to behold.

Kinda like hanging a Rembrandt in your dimly lit local thrift store.

If they could only spend a fraction of the time and effort on themselves and the presentation....................:cry

Sam
  • Options
    toragstorags Registered Users Posts: 4,615 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2016
    The title got me here...

In my experience, if you want to shoot cars, show up at 8 - 9am while they're setting up

You also get the benefit of early light

BTW... Nice shot.. remove lint before hanging
    Rags
  • Options
    edited February 28, 2016
    torags wrote: »
    The title got me here...

In my experience, if you want to shoot cars, show up at 8 - 9am while they're setting up

You also get the benefit of early light

BTW... Nice shot.. remove lint before hanging

I faced that decison. There was dust on the finish, and in the bright Florida
    sun the dust shows up. The Spot Healing Brush is my friend, but do we
    show the photograph of what was there, or what we want to have been
    there?

Thanks for the comments, though.
  • Options
    The Lazy DestroyerThe Lazy Destroyer Registered Users Posts: 127 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2016
    Great shot.
    I agree a lot of shows are difficult to shoot and some of the Atlanta ones are so packed with people with cameras that it's just an exercise in patience half the time.
    There are always opportunities it just takes a bit more planning or evaluation. Good advice on showing up early when they are setting up, I take most of mine early and late at the shows, and spend the rest of the time looking at cars or getting tight shots like yours above.
    I don't understand the gripe about open hoods and ads, it is a car show after all.
    ____Motoception Photography____
    www.motoception.com
  • Options
    edited February 28, 2016
    Great shot.
    I agree a lot of shows are difficult to shoot and some of the Atlanta ones are so packed with people with cameras that it's just an exercise in patience half the time.
    There are always opportunities it just takes a bit more planning or evaluation. Good advice on showing up early when they are setting up, I take most of mine early and late at the shows, and spend the rest of the time looking at cars or getting tight shots like yours above.
    I don't understand the gripe about open hoods and ads, it is a car show after all.

About open hoods and rear decks...the gripe is purely from a photographic standpoint.

I understand that cars are displayed for the 99.9% of the people who attend the shows
    and want to see what's under the hood, but I'm photographing form, not function.

Hey, it's all about me.
  • Options
    CCoopCCoop Registered Users Posts: 511 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2016
    I like how you were able to pull an abstract from that setting! You were able to see and attend to to beauty of a line, shape, and color, all amid the crowds hype. Working from your quiet center. So glad you posted your 'rant!'

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,696 moderator
    edited March 7, 2016
    I really like the curves and colors in this image.

Car shows can be frustrating, photographically speaking. The proximity of vehicles and crowds leads to lots of unwanted reflections, which can lead to real puzzles to try to solve.

Nice wall hanger!
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    jerryrjerryr Registered Users Posts: 595 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2016
    Great picture !
    Agree with the comments above - too many people which makes it tricky to get those great image.
    I usually get a special pass that lets me in days before the crowds at the Detroit international auto show.