edited February 24, 2016 in Other Cool Shots
i-2Svpn2N-X2.jpg
ziggy53
Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,789 moderator
    edited February 23, 2016
    I suppose that a back story might help to explain:

This image is from a very small domicile which is part of my (now deceased) father's property. It was designed as rental property for his parents, to help augment their income. After my father's passing, I, and my siblings, now own the property, and I am the "property manager" of this and other properties (along with a nephew).

The odd, and slightly interesting, thing about this property is that it uses a "cabin heater", more commonly now called a "direct vent heater" or "direct vent furnace". There is no forced air distribution, just a blower on the heater. The rest of the house is heated by the drift of air through the house.

The rear of the house was added later and those rooms get little direct air current at all. Apparently someone had the idea to add some upper vents to the top of a couple of walls to assist in air motion.

In this image, there is an unseen vent to the image left, and two compact fluorescent bulbs beyond that which create some light which passes through the vent, casting the rather unique pattern of light and shadow we can see, inclusive of the second vent. I also included some of the ceiling of this area, which catches a different angle of the pattern of light and shadow.

The angle of the cast pattern is rather odd and unnatural, as it comes in somewhat lower than the center of the left grill, casting light a bit more upward, which is fortuitous for the ceiling pattern.

Altogether this creates, for me anyway, a rather unique circumstance I don't believe that many will ever see in person. That is the imperative behind the image; to share this unique circumstance of exceedingly simple juxtaposed patterns of light, likely not to be duplicated anywhere else.

This somewhat reminds me of "Crepuscular Rays/Sun Beams" or perhaps "Anticrepuscular Rays" (a unique type of "sun beams"), albeit at a very odd angle and from a non-solar source.

As for the image itself, too plebeian?
    ziggy53
  • EiaEia Registered Users Posts: 3,627 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2016
    So the line shadows on the left is from another vent? I was looking at this and thought it odd....with the shadows and all. My Dad passed and I too am in charge of his house.....and it always brings up intereting issues. rolleyes1.gif
    edited February 23, 2016
    Eia wrote: »
    So the line shadows on the left is from another vent? I was looking at this and thought it odd....with the shadows and all. My Dad passed and I too am in charge of his house.....and it always brings up intereting issues. rolleyes1.gif

Yes, the unseen vent on the left is also venting "light" from the other side of the wall. Hence the image title, "Vents".
    ziggy53
  • EiaEia Registered Users Posts: 3,627 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2016
    Got it! That is what I thought looking at it originally. A clever capture. Nice lines that will leave thoughtful people pondering. And a plus for the sentiment. Very good imho.
    edited February 24, 2016
    Eia wrote: »
    ... Nice lines that will leave thoughtful people pondering. ...

Thanks so much, AnnaMaria.
    ziggy53