Filenames made more apparent

lancehilllancehill Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
edited September 25, 2012 in SmugMug Support
We are currently a Basic SmugMug member. (We are brand new to SmugMug). We post high school senior photos to our website for seniors to view their images. Most of our clients are confused as to which numbers on the site are the real filenames for each photo. We would like to make this more apparent to our clients. I found some code on the SmugMug site that says we can use it to put the filenames under each picture to make it more apparent as to each pictures filename. What I am wondering is are we only able to customize our site if we are Power SmugMug members. Am I correct? Any response is appreciated!

Comments

• Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited September 13, 2012
    Hi, and welcome to SmugMug and DGrin!!! wave.gif

Adding customization via CSS is a feature included with every account starting at Power, but is not a feature of SmugMug Basic. You can check out this page to help you assess which account is right for you:

http://help.smugmug.com/customer/portal/articles/695839-which-account-is-right-for-me-

and this page presents the features in a check list style:

http://www.smugmug.com/photos/photo-sharing-features/

Hope that helps. Holler with more questions!

ann
    lancehill wrote: »
    We are currently a Basic SmugMug member. (We are brand new to SmugMug). We post high school senior photos to our website for seniors to view their images. Most of our clients are confused as to which numbers on the site are the real filenames for each photo. We would like to make this more apparent to our clients. I found some code on the SmugMug site that says we can use it to put the filenames under each picture to make it more apparent as to each pictures filename. What I am wondering is are we only able to customize our site if we are Power SmugMug members. Am I correct? Any response is appreciated!
  • grannyrobingrannyrobin Registered Users Posts: 134 Major grins
    edited September 13, 2012
    We have a caption/keyword tool whereby you can add more to each caption... including the file name. It's a bulk tool, which I expect will make things easier.

If you go into a gallery, then choose Tools > Many Photos, you'll see that Caption/Keyword is first in the list.

Yes, you would need a power user account to use our customization. I'm just suggesting another way; you may not want to change account levels.

-Robin
  • Pure EnergyPure Energy Registered Users Posts: 180 Major grins
    edited September 14, 2012
    I found some code on the SmugMug site that says we can use it to put the filenames under each picture to make it more apparent as to each pictures filename.

What is the code to do this or the link to properly explain how? How does it look?

I don't want my photo filenames to be keyworded so is this how I can add actual filenames that won't be added to my already large keyword list?
  • Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited September 14, 2012
    What is the code to do this or the link to properly explain how? How does it look?

I don't want my photo filenames to be keyworded so is this how I can add actual filenames that won't be added to my already large keyword list?

Hey Pure

If you do not want filenames to be keywords, go to your account settings and turn that off for your whole site. You will find that setting in

Discovery > Search >

If some of your filenames have already been indexed as keywords, it will take some time for them to drop.

The OP wants to hide the photo x/y text at the top of his gallery, to draw attention to the filename instead.

Hope that helps.
    ann
    edited September 17, 2012
    Ann McRae wrote: »
    The OP wants to hide the photo x/y text at the top of his gallery, to draw attention to the filename instead.

I already have that setting turned off which should be set to "off" as a default for all customers. (Why flood the SM searches with meaningless information?)

Now, how about that code the OP was asking about to hide x/y text at the top of his gallery (i.e. 1 of 120)?
  • rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited September 24, 2012
    Now, how about that code the OP was asking about to hide x/y text at the top of his gallery (i.e. 1 of 120)?
    I would suggest posting in the Dgrin customization forum so the customization helpers may be able to assist.
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • dbvetodbveto Registered Users Posts: 660 Major grins
    I already have that setting turned off which should be set to "off" as a default for all customers. (Why flood the SM searches with meaningless information?)

That is in the smug mug customization area under Collection of javascript customizations
    Dennis
    http://www.realphotoman.com/
    Work in progress
    http://www.realphotoman.net/ Zenfolio 10% off Referral Code: 1KH-5HX-5HU
    dbveto wrote: »
    That is in the smug mug customization area under Collection of javascript customizations

Not seeing which customization you're referring to on the 34 customizations listed. Or is it hidden within the 11 pages of commments?

I am surprised at how many things I want to do are still there. Some seem so obvious that I'm surprised they aren't added into the basic design for all SM customers. It sure would be nice to not have to hunt for any CSS code to add who knows where and be hopeful some extra added or omitted character doesn't screw things up.
  • rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited September 25, 2012
    Not seeing which customization you're referring to on the 34 customizations listed. Or is it hidden within the 11 pages of commments?

Check out this post
    These two CSS lines should do the trick of hiding the image number and navigation:
    #photoNavTop {display: none;}
    #photoNavBottom {display: none;}
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • mishenkamishenka Banned Posts: 470 Major grins
    edited September 25, 2012

To the OP: you do NOT need any customization to display the real file name for each uploaded photo. Go to the gallery settings, under Look & Feel find "Filenames", select Yes. Save your changes. Do not add any captions to the photos. IF no captions are present then the real file name will be displayed.