edited March 26, 2016 in Finishing School
Lost a lr catalog

Went to the lr back-ups , double clicked, but won't open

Any thoughts ??

Comments

• pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,694 moderator
    edited March 25, 2016
    You only have ONE back up copy???

What do you mean when you say you "lost" a LR catalog? You mean you can't find it on your hard drive, or LR does not seem to find it itself? I have to ask, where do you store your LR catalog? On your boot drivel, on an external drive, or on the drive with all your images?

I wonder if your issue with the back up file is in some way connected with why you can't find your LR catalog. That is why I asked the questions above. If somehow you corrupted your LR catalog and THEN copied that to your back up file, the might explain why neither file seems to be working for you.

You might want to indicate what OS you are using, and how often you use LR and how often you b/u your LR catalog as well.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • cape codcape cod Registered Users Posts: 52 Big grins
    edited March 26, 2016
    To
    Digital Grin Photography Forum
    Message body
    When I went back to 2016 lr nothing came up.

Went to my back ups .. clicked on the most recent .. it appeared it would not unzip .. didn't come up

It gave me an alternative for the other lr catalogs ... they all came up

Catalog is stored on an external hard drive

I back-up everytime I close lr .. went to prior back-up .. same problem

Window's 10

I did read of problems that the lr catalog won't unzip

thanks

Don
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,694 moderator
    edited March 26, 2016
    I am sorry for your difficulties, that sounds quite distressing. It certainly would be to me.

I went to the Adobe LR support page and found issues regarding the catalog not opening after upgrading to Windows 10. Not sure if this is pertinent to your situation, but sounds like it might be -- https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom/kb/error---unexpected-error-opening-catalog--occurs-in-lightroom-af.html

You are right it sounds like a Windows 10 upgrade issue. I would pursue this issue with Adobe as per the link I posted above. If it is helpful, or not, please leave a note here in this thread so others will know if this is a resolution to that issue.

I have not used Windows in over a decade, so I was not aware of this issue with Windows 10 until your question.

I would suggest more than just one back up of your catalog and your image files though, just as a general pattern of dealing with digital information. It is all very fungible.

My catalog ( only one ) and its back up files, and my image files are all on an single external RAID array, which is backed up to a second RAID array, and to a separate hard drive as well. The separate hard drive is kept at a different location.

I am paranoid about digital data, due to past experiences over the years. I would back up to the WEB as well, but my local net access is pretty slow, so I have not done that yet, even though it is on my TO DO list.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • cape codcape cod Registered Users Posts: 52 Big grins
    edited March 26, 2016
    Back up
    Windows 10 may be the issue ..

Added 10 this past fall but never had reason to resurrect a catalog ..

Thanks for the link