Options

Almost done on new smug, but .......

david-lowdavid-low Registered Users Posts: 752 Major grins
edited April 21, 2015 in SmugMug Customization
Hi,

I'm on the home run and almost done on the new smug.

In the old, we have option to display

(1) Most popular photo
(2) Recent photo

Seems these 2 options are not available. Am i right or have I miss configuring it.

In the new, there is this BUY button. Mine is not Pro a/c, so I assume it will not appear to public besides me right? Is there a way to get rid?

Tks

Comments

• Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,238 moderator
    edited April 14, 2015
    david-low wrote: »
    In the old, we have option to display

(1) Most popular photo
    (2) Recent photo

Seems these 2 options are not available. Am i right or have I miss configuring it.

In the new, there is this BUY button. Mine is not Pro a/c, so I assume it will not appear to public besides me right? Is there a way to get rid?
    Popular photos are accessed with the URL <your-site-url>/popular. You can add the popular photos to your menu or you can reference this page from anywhere on your site.

For recent photos, create a page and place a multiple photos block on the page. Select from "recent photos".

When I look at your legacy site I see you have the photos by date exposed. That functionality is still available at the url <your site url>/date.

A list of the pages available is in the help at http://news.smugmug.com/2013/07/31/smug-tip-customize-your-404-search-page-and-more/. If you have a Power account or higher you can customize the look of these pages. If you have a basic account the pages exist but can't be customized.

If you have enabled purchasing of your photos then the buy button will appear. This was true on legacy smugmug as well (I just checked your legacy site and the buy button is visible there). If you don't want your photos to be available for sale, edit the gallery settings for your galleries. On the shopping tab set Shopping Cart to OFF.

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited April 15, 2015

For recent photos, create a page and place a multiple photos block on the page. Select from "recent photos".

--- Denise

Tks Denise.

It seems we have no control over the no. of recent photos we like to display whereas the legacy provides the option. Am I correct or I miss something to configure.
  • Options
    edited April 15, 2015
    It seems we have no control over the no. of recent photos we like to display whereas the legacy provides the option. Am I correct or I miss something to configure.
    Click the display tab of the multiple photos block, set Number of Photos to custom and then enter a number.

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited April 15, 2015
    Tks Denise.

I set the Pagination style to scroll. No wonder can't find it.
  • Options
    edited April 16, 2015

If you have enabled purchasing of your photos then the buy button will appear. This was true on legacy smugmug as well (I just checked your legacy site and the buy button is visible there). If you don't want your photos to be available for sale, edit the gallery settings for your galleries. On the shopping tab set Shopping Cart to OFF.

--- Denise

2 questions
    1) When shopping cart is OFF, OWNER BUY. Is there a way to turn that off. Not a big deal but I'll off it if there is an option.
    2) Can we selectively turn off specific photo not for sale instead of a whole gallery as not all photos in the same gallery are meant for sale.

Tks.
  • Options
    edited April 17, 2015
    1) When shopping cart is OFF, OWNER BUY. Is there a way to turn that off. Not a big deal but I'll off it if there is an option.
    2) Can we selectively turn off specific photo not for sale instead of a whole gallery as not all photos in the same gallery are meant for sale.
    Owner buy is only visible to you and only when you are logged in. You could use some CSS to remove it but I would recommend leaving it there. That way if you ever want to purchase your own photos you won't need to remove CSS.

Yes, you can selectively turn off sales of photos in galleries where the photos are for sale. It doesn't seem very straightforward to me; it's possible I don't know the best way to access the tool.

In my case, I have a gallery that includes a few photos contributed by someone else that I didn't want to offer for sale. I created a price list called "not for sale" that didn't include any products. I opened that price list and clicked Edit List. On the top right there is an entry saying THIS PRICELIST IS APPLIED TO with boxes under it for galleries and photos. I clicked the photo box, then navigated to the gallery containing the photos and selected them to add them to that pricelist that didn't have any products.

--- Denise
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,011 Major grins
    edited April 17, 2015
    If I go to a photo in a gallery and click "Customize" > "Gallery Prices" there is a

"This photo currently inherits the gallery's pricelist."

I can change it to any other pricelist that's set up like one for "Not For Sale".
    No need to go to "Edit Price" once it's set up.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    edited April 17, 2015
    Allen wrote: »
    If I go to a photo in a gallery and click "Customize" > "Gallery Prices" there is a

I can change it to any other pricelist that's set up like one for "Not For Sale".
    Thanks Allen - I knew there had to be an easier path!

But oops! This method only works if the gallery is set to smugmug style. In my collage landscape galleries the only way to isolate to the photo is in lightbox - and the customize > gallery prices isn't accessible from there.

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited April 17, 2015
    Allen wrote: »

Allen,

Sorry, don't quite follow.

Customize > Gellery Prices ?
  • Options
    edited April 17, 2015
    Allen,

Sorry, don't quite follow.

Customize > Gellery Prices ?
    The method Allen recommends seems to work with the gallery style set to smugmug - it doesn't work for me with gallery in style collage landscape. So I needed to back into it via the pricelist method I noted above.

It's easier to temporarily set the galley style to smugmug, select the photo, then customize > gallery prices.

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited April 17, 2015
    The method Allen recommends seems to work with the gallery style set to smugmug - it doesn't work for me with gallery in style collage landscape. So I needed to back into it via the pricelist method I noted above.

It's easier to temporarily set the galley style to smugmug, select the photo, then customize > gallery prices.

--- Denise

i purposely set to Smugmug, selected a photo, Customize > can't see gallery price in the menu.
  • Options
    edited April 17, 2015
    i purposely set to Smugmug, selected a photo, Customize > can't see gallery price in the menu.
    What level account do you have?

If you have a Portfolio level account you can only use a single price list; I suspect you would need a Business level account to selectively price photos since that uses 2 price lists - and I don't see a way to disable selling photos at a photo level, only at a gallery level.

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited April 17, 2015

--- Denise
    What level account do you have?

If you have a Portfolio level account you can only use a single price list; I suspect you would need a Business level account to selectively price photos since that uses 2 price lists - and I don't see a way to disable selling photos at a photo level, only at a gallery level.

--- Denise

Mine is Power a/c. So seems like can only set at gallery level as you said. Oh well.

Tks Denise.
  • Options
    edited April 17, 2015
    Mine is Power a/c. So seems like can only set at gallery level as you said.
    You can't set prices with a Power-level account. You can offer your photos for sale or not, but if you allow sales there is no profit paid to you.

To set prices you need either a Portfolio or Business account.

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited April 18, 2015
    You can't set prices with a Power-level account. You can offer your photos for sale or not, but if you allow sales there is no profit paid to you.

To set prices you need either a Portfolio or Business account.

--- Denise

The selling part is something new to me. And this is the funny part. Though I started smug way back in 06, I didn't even take notice there is a buy button cause the icon is so tiny. So I didn't check it out. And for yrs I didn't even know my pics are available for sale. Goes to show making some coffee money is not even in my mind.

With this new SM, it dawn on me with this BUY thing cause it suddenly stands out in big clear button. And to me I thought its an added function. haha.

Having got the new SM running now, actually my next step is to study how the pricing works.
    So are you saying due to my Power a/c or even basic as I came to know now, customer can order prints and all profits go to the printer and smug and nothing for me? If that is the case, what's the point for me to display the BUY button, unless I can accept zero profit and doing the buyer a favour for having my picture at a reduce cost.
  • Options
    edited April 18, 2015
    And any idea for any print ordered under Power a/c will I be notified?
  • Options
    edited April 18, 2015
    Having got the new SM running now, actually my next step is to study how the pricing works.
    So are you saying due to my Power a/c or even basic as I came to know now, customer can order prints and all profits go to the printer and smug and nothing for me? If that is the case, what's the point for me to display the BUY button, unless I can accept zero profit and doing the buyer a favour for having my picture at a reduce cost.

And any idea for any print ordered under Power a/c will I be notified?
    The size of the buy button was increased in new smug because viewers weren't noticing the smaller button.

If you don't want the buy button to show you can turn it off by changing the gallery settings to set Shopping Cart to OFF.

You will not be notified if a print is ordered if you have a Power account.

If you want to make a profit or if you want notification that someone purchased one of your photos then you must upgrade to either a Portfolio or Business account level.

Differences between account types are shown at http://www.smugmug.com/features. See sections titled Commerce, Marketing, and Branding.

Help page on pricing photos (in case you decide to upgrade your account) - http://help.smugmug.com/customer/portal/articles/93345-how-do-i-price-photos-in-order-to-sell-them-

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited April 18, 2015
    Tks Denise.
  • Options
    edited April 18, 2015
    Apology, one question.

Seems like there is no "all gallery" setting to adjust gallery style (means if I want all gallery to have same style) or shopping cart OFF. I have to go to individual gallery and do it under gallery setting. Am I right?
  • Options
    edited April 18, 2015
    Apology, one question.

Seems like there is no "all gallery" setting to adjust gallery style (means if I want all gallery to have same style) or shopping cart OFF. I have to go to individual gallery and do it under gallery setting. Am I right?
    You can adjust the charactistics of all galleries within a folder in the Organizer.

See help pages at http://help.smugmug.com/customer/portal/articles/1240194-how-do-i-change-settings-for-multiple-galleries-at-once- and http://help.smugmug.com/customer/portal/articles/1213254-what-is-the-organizer-.

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited April 18, 2015

Denise, that's great. Tks
  • Options
    edited April 18, 2015
    Denise, that's great. Tks
    David -
    I think you've gone too far in allowing viewing access to your photos - at least those currently showing on your home page.. You should choose any size other than Original as the largest viewing size. Original is the full-sized image.

When I just looked at your home page I see that you have allowed access to the Originals. This enables free downloads of the images. Is this what you really meant to do?

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited April 18, 2015
    Oops, I thought I click only xlarge or something. I go adjust it. Now I went to the other extreme.

Tks for the prompt.
  • Options
    JenuineJenuine Registered Users Posts: 155 SmugMug Employee
    edited April 21, 2015
    Hi David,

There is a bulk setting option for the galleries within a folder. Here are the details on how to do that. http://help.smugmug.com/customer/portal/articles/1240194-how-do-i-change-settings-for-multiple-galleries-at-once-?b_id=1644

Jen,
    Support Hero
    Jen
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    Hero AmandaHero Amanda Registered Users Posts: 64 Big grins
    edited April 21, 2015
    Hello,

You can change this setting for multiple galleries at once. This page will show you how: http://help.smugmug.com/customer/portal/articles/1240194
    All The Best,
    Amanda
    SmugMug Support Hero