Link to your gear

Jeremy WinterbergJeremy Winterberg Registered Users Posts: 1,233 Major grins
edited June 5, 2011 in Cameras
So, my list of gear is piling up as I progress, and over at photography-on-the.net forums (canon forums) they have a thread dedicated to everyone's gear they have, to limit the size of signatures. Basically you link to your entry on this thread in your sig.

To do this is very simple.

Step One: Reply to this with what you want in your "gear list". It can have anything from your computer specs, to camera bodies, lenses, or even children I suppose. (Basically anything you want to say in your sig but don't want to take up the room.)

Step Two: Right click on the reply number of your reply, and select "copy shortcut".

Step Three: Go to your control panel by clicking on "You!" in the nav bar, and then edit your signature.

Step Four: Type a name for you link. Something like "Heres my Gear". Select that text, and click on the hyperlink button in the message editing window. (looks like a globe with a chain link in front of it). A window will pop up asking for the URL. hilight http:// by clicking and draging over it, and paste the shortcut you copied earlier (can be done by pressing CTRL (CMD) + V or by going to Edit and paste in your browser's menu, or by right clicking and selecting paste.

Step Five: Save your signature.

And now you have a slick looking gear free signature, and your own custom gear list. Which you can edit at any time!
Jer

Comments

• Jeremy WinterbergJeremy Winterberg Registered Users Posts: 1,233 Major grins
    edited May 13, 2009
    My Gear
    Digital:
    • Canon 5D Mark II
    Film:
    • Canon EOS Elan 7 Gripped
    Lenses:
    • Canon 135mm f/2L USM[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif][/FONT]
    • Canon 50mm f/1.4 USM
    Support:
    • Manfrotto 190XPROB Tripod Legs
    • Promaster SystemPro Junior Ball Head
    • Promaster SystemPro Monopod NS
    Lighting:
    • Canon 580EXII
    • Canon CP-E4 Battery Pack (for 580EXII)
    • 20 Pack O' Gels
    • Eclipse 45" Photogenic Umbrella
    • (3x) 7' Promaster Light Stands
    • Promaster Reflector Holder (adapter for light stand)
    • Cactus v4 Wireless Flash Trigger
    • (3x) Cactus v4 Wireless Flash Receivers
    Computers:
    • Adobe CS5 Master Collection
    • 15" MacBook Pro 2.66GHz, 4GB DDR3 RAM, 320GB 5400rpm HDD, Snow Leopard 10.6.3
    • 32" Samsung 1080p HDTV, 8GB Ram, 2.5GHz Intel Quad Core, 1.3TB HD, nVidia Geforce 8800GT, Antec 900 Case with blue LED Lights, Windows 7
    • Intuos 4 Medium Wacom Tablet
    Scanner:
    • Epson Perfection v500 Photo
    Jer
  • Cygnus StudiosCygnus Studios Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited May 13, 2009
    Funny you bring this up today. I just did this yesterday. My sig line was becoming a section all on its own. :D
    Steve

Website
  • Manfr3dManfr3d Registered Users Posts: 2,008 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2009
    Why would I care to tell everyone what my kit is? And how would that help
    anybody else except the marketing department?

For example I've just seen on digital-photography-school that the site polls
    their visitors/users about which computer program they use, which computer
    they have, which camera brand they have, which lenses they are going to
    buy, which ones they owned etc. It's clear that they will use this data commercial (to get adds, sponsors, ...).

I'm not saying this is happening here, but with the dummy 5 step instructions above it reminds me of it.
    Arr the grief :-) but maybe someone can enlighten me why participating in these show-us-your-data-polls makes sense. ne_nau.gif
    “To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
    ― Edward Weston
    edited May 15, 2009
    Manfr3d wrote:

Some potential clients may view your gear list (or want you to list your gear) to determine if you have the necessary gear to handle a particular job.
    A lot of commercial clients now seem to be doing this, especially real estate companies.
    Keep in mind that today more than ever photographers are competing for jobs with every tom, dick and harry who happens to buy a dslr. These people walk out of the store with a kit lens and believe they can bid for any job on the planet.
    Steve

Website
  • Manfr3dManfr3d Registered Users Posts: 2,008 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2009
    A professional photographer has a website with photos. I never imagined that a clients that pays actually money for a job goes and digs in some forums to see if that photographer has the glass.

Besides people hire photographers because of their artistic and professional abilities (= what kind of pictures are in their portfolio) and not by how much gear they have (= how long their signature line is).
    “To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
    ― Edward Weston
    edited May 15, 2009
    Manfr3d wrote:
    Besides people hire photographers because of their artistic and professional abilities (= what kind of pictures are in their portfolio) and not by how much gear they have (= how long their signature line is).

I agree that it should be this way, but I see and hear a lot of just this kind of thing. Somebodies brother in law or friend has this idea of what professional gear is supposed to be, or what brand it is supposed to be.
    Any good photographer knows that it is the person behind the equipment that makes the image good, the equipment just makes the job easier.
    I have actually read ads that specify a specific camera system. I get a good laugh about it and move on, but this is happening more frequently.

If it isn't happening in your area, be thankful. Having to explain to someone that one specific system isn't the only company that makes pro equipment is a waste of time.
    Just the other night I had a person tell me the pros only use medium format. It took all I had not to laugh in this persons face.
    Steve

Website
    edited May 15, 2009
    umm... this isn't a poll... i don't know where you got that at all... I don't care what gear you have. This is mearly a convenience to everyone. Signatures get jammed up with stuff (gear) that shouldn't be there. This is a way to make your signature smaller so its easier and less annoying to read threads. And people that do want to see what gear you have... or what you have for sale... or anything random you want in your sig but don't want to take up the space... they can view your post on here.

The "5 step dummy" process... Is for those that are not very good with computers... I know there has to be a few on here. I figured I could save time by explaining the whole process for those that are still stuck back in Large Format Camera times (not saying that those are bad cameras cause they're amazing and I'm not saying old people do not know how to use computers cause alot of you do! just a figure of speach)

If anything this thread gets good use for myself. I wanted to do this to free up space in my signature, and so I started a thread so that EVERYONE could do this too if they wanted to. Sorry I was trying to think of others.

If this was a poll it would say... POLL: Noob here looking to see what AMAZING cameraz yous guyz owns lolz rofl...

so, drop the whole... "I dont get why marketers are trying to figure me out" thing, cause this isn't that kind of thing.
    Jer
  • TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2009
    how about just take a picture of our gear?
    here is a good expample:

http://techblog.dallasnews.com/olympics-photo-gear.jpg

problem is mine looks like this:
    http://www.shinyshiny.tv/lego-digital-blue-camera-walkie-talkie-thumb-348x314.jpg
    Aaron Nelson
    edited May 15, 2009
    how about just take a picture of our gear?
    here is a good expample:

http://techblog.dallasnews.com/olympics-photo-gear.jpg

problem is mine looks like this:
    http://www.shinyshiny.tv/lego-digital-blue-camera-walkie-talkie-thumb-348x314.jpg
    HAHAHA thats great. ummm well you can do that if you want... it doesn't HAVE to be a text list. Be creative, come up with funky ways to strut your stuff...
    Jer
  • bhowdybhowdy Registered Users Posts: 658 Major grins
    edited May 17, 2009
    I don't think this is a bad idea. It's up to the individual to add the link in their signature or not.

I read (and occasionally post) at both the Digital Grin and POTN forums, I know that others here do so as well .... don't deny it ... I see you there too! mwink.gif

I find it interesting to look at other's photo galleries, I have actually learned a good bit by studying how other folks compose their images, exif data, etc..

It's fun to look at the gear kits that some folks have .... I have actually seen replies tp topics where a person is debating the merits of a camera or lens, when I check their gear they don't even have the item being discussed!

I realize that having an impressive gear list does not make a person an accomplished photographer .... having an operating room in your home, doesn't make you a surgeon either! (I know .... maybe a bit over the top, but you understand my point)

Just my 2 cents worth. thumb.gif

Bob
    Maryville, TN.

http://bhowdy.smugmug.com/
    edited May 17, 2009
    15524779-Ti.gif
    Jer
  • ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
    edited May 18, 2009
    I think this is a good idea to clean up our signature clutter. I like to look at people's gear lists so I can see if we use the same lens and how they utilize that lens differently or if they use a lens I am considering buying and how they use it, etc.
  • ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2022
    My gear list
    Bodies:
    • Canon EOS R5 + BG-R10 grip
    • Canon EOS 5D Mark III + BG-E11 grip

Flash:
    • Canon Speedlite 580 EX II x2
    • Canon Speedlite 600 EX-RT
    • Canon Speedlite Transmitter ST-E3-RT
    • Canon Speedlite Transmitter ST-E2 IR

Lenses:
    • Sigma 15mm f/2.8 EX DG
    • Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM
    • Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM
    • Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM
    • Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM
    • Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM
    • Canon EF 135mm f/2L USM
    • Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM

Case:
    • Think Tank Airport Security v2
    • Think Tank Airport International v2
  • The MackThe Mack Registered Users Posts: 602 Major grins
    edited May 18, 2009
    Manfr3d wrote:
    anybody else except the marketing department?

For example I've just seen on digital-photography-school that the site polls
    their visitors/users about which computer program they use, which computer
    they have, which camera brand they have, which lenses they are going to
    buy, which ones they owned etc. It's clear that they will use this data commercial (to get adds, sponsors, ...).

I'm not saying this is happening here, but with the dummy 5 step instructions above it reminds me of it.
    Arr the grief :-) but maybe someone can enlighten me why participating in these show-us-your-data-polls makes sense. ne_nau.gif

some people like to
    you don't
    big deal
    they do
    move on.
    edited May 18, 2009
    Camera(s):
    Nikon D200 with MB-D200 Battery Grip
    Nikon D50
    Nikon Coolpix L11

Lenses:
    Nikon 70-200 f/2.8 VR
    Nikon 60mm f/2.8 micro
    Nikon 50 f/1.8
    Nikon 35 f/2
    Tamron 17-50 f/2.8
    Tokina 12-24 f/4

Tripod:
    Manfrotto legs
    Manfrotto head

Monopod:
    Manfrotto 681B

Bags:Cases
    Swiss backpack bag for carry around
    Pelican 1510 w/ lid organizer
    Pelican light stand/tripod bag
    Pelican SD memory card wallet
    Pelican CF memory card wallet
    Pelican 1050
    Pelican 1060
    Pelican 1150
    Pelican 1200
    Pelican 1300

Flash | Strobist gear

Nikon SB-800 x 2
    Impact umbrellas 35" x 2
    Fong dome clear
    Fong dome frosted
    Impact light stands x 2
    Nikon SC-29 flash cord
    Nikon wired D200 remote
    Rosco flash gels
    Cybersync transmitter
    Cybersync crsb+ receiver x 5
    (3) AlienBees B800 Flash Unit, Black w/ 150 watt modeling lamp, bag, 7” parabolic, electrical cord, and bulb protection cover
    (1) 22” Beauty Dish / Matte Pan Reflector.
    (1) Boom Arm Attachment 11lbs.
    (1) 10” x 36” Foldable Stripbox / Softbox w/ Speedring.
    (1) 35” Octagon Softbox 15” deep w/speedring.
    (1) 30” x 60” Giant Softbox 27.5” deep w/speedring.
    (2) Backlight Stand 40” – 3 sections with a 19” max footprint.
    (1) Lightstand 10ft. – 4 sections with 39” max footprint.
    (2) Lightstand 13ft. – Heavy Duty 4 section with 43” max footprint.
    (1) Set of 3 Casters (wheels) for light stand.
    (4) Honeycomb Grid – Set of (4) 10, 20, 30, 40.
    (1) White Shovel Background Reflector.
    (1) 5-in-1 Circular Reflector w/ mounting kit.
    (2) LiteMod Mainframes.
    (2) Barndoors.
    (26) Gels w/ 4 Gel Holders
    (1) Umbrella – Translucent White Shoot-thru 48”.
    (1) Umbrella – Silver/White reversible 32”.
    (1) Remote Trigger / Transmitter – 2.4GHz Battery Powered.
    (1) Remote Receiver – 2.4GHz Battery Powered, up to 400 feet.
    (1) Lightstand Carry Bag.
    (1) Westcott Muslin - Storm Cloud Grey Background 10ft x 24ft.
    (3) Seamless Paper Rolls 9ft x 12yds (Olive Green, Slate Grey, Blue, Black Roll and White Roll

Filters:
    Hoya / Nikon / Tiffen / Cokin P filter system

Hoya 77mm ND 10x
    Hoya 52mm warm
    Hoya 52mm CPL
    Hoya 52mm UV
    Tiffen 55mm UV
    Promaster 67mm MC ND.8x
    Tiffen 72mm ND.6
    Nikon A2 77mm
    Hoya HMC UV 77mm
    Hoya Super Pro1 77 CPL
    Tiffen 77mm Grad ND0.6
    Hoya HMC 77mm ND8
    Cokin CP
    Cokin ND
    Cokin Sunset filter
    B&W 110 3.0 ND filter

Computer | Editing

Custom built 3.5 ghz w/ 1TB HD and top end video card
    CS3
    CS4
    Lightroom 2.0

Memory
    Sandisk Extreme III 8gb CF - x4
    Sandisk Extreme III 4gb CF - x2
    Sandisk Extreme II 2gb SD - x4
    edited May 19, 2009
    sweet... finally some people that get the point of this thread! Success! And thats quite a gear list Eric
    Jer
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,764 moderator
    edited May 19, 2009
    The Mack wrote:
    some people like to
    you don't
    big deal
    they do
    move on.

Please keep it civil folks.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
    edited May 19, 2009
    I thought I did? ne_nau.gif
    edited May 19, 2009
    Any further off-topic posts will be deleted.
    ziggy53
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited May 19, 2009
    bhowdy wrote:
    I have actually seen replies tp topics where a person is debating the merits of a camera or lens, when I check their gear they don't even have the item being discussed!thumb.gif

I am guilty of this.....however it does not mean that I have not borrowed or rented the lens in question......I am also guilty of NOT posting all the gear I own.....but what is posted is my most used gear..........
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

edited May 19, 2009
    ziggy53 wrote:
    Any further off-topic posts will be deleted.
    Thanks ziggy... Eventually I'd like to see this stickied so that it doesn't get lost in the ramblings of dgrin... But right now not enough people are "participating" so its not necessary unless you want to do it.
    Jer
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited May 19, 2009
    Manfr3d wrote:
    A professional photographer has a website with photos. I never imagined that a clients that pays actually money for a job goes and digs in some forums to see if that photographer has the glass.

Besides people hire photographers because of their artistic and professional abilities (= what kind of pictures are in their portfolio) and not by how much gear they have (= how long their signature line is).[IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/ARTSCO%7E1/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot-1.jpg[/IMG]
    This is not always true.....I personally have lost jobs because a prospect only new the name of a camera....some were due to not owning Hassleblad, Canon, & Nikon.....at these times I was shooting with Fuji (AX3), Yashica 124G, RicohFlex(2 1/4sq twin lenses), Contax, and Kiev (in 2 1/4sq and 645 formats) ......all these cameras were very capable of doing what the porspect wanted but someone had said only use a photog that uses such and such....even tho the portfolio I showed the propect was in 24x36" fullcolor, tack sharp and nearly grainless (you could see the pores of the people in the portraits and the pores of the metal product I had shot as well as the pores in the woodgrain products.....so it is not always the ability that people shop for because someone some where said it can only be done with such and such......I have never had my lighting questioned......

This is why I am having such a hard time with my camera brand switch........

above in bold
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• BlurmoreBlurmore Registered Users Posts: 992 Major grins
    edited May 19, 2009
    just saw ziggy's post...uh oops.
  • W.W. WebsterW.W. Webster Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Major grins
    edited May 19, 2009
    The Mack wrote:
    Memory
    Sandisk Extreme II 2gb SD - x4
    That's one impressive gear list, but !'ve never heard of these. Do you mean "Ultra II" by any chance?
    edited May 19, 2009
    Thanks ziggy... Eventually I'd like to see this stickied so that it doesn't get lost in the ramblings of dgrin... But right now not enough people are "participating" so its not necessary unless you want to do it.

While I agree that the "Signature" area is not the best place for an equipment list, at the Digital Grin we would prefer that you add your equipment list to your "Profile" under the heading of "Equipment".

While there is not much opportunity for a formatted list, you can certainly put the basics there. That way, someone reading your post can check your equipment against any questions relating to additional equipment in order to formulate an appropriate reply.

I see that you, Jeremy, have done that and I thank you for doing it.

If you think that a more elaborate equipment listing is a good idea, I'm fine with that, but I'm not sure it needs a separate sticky. It would probably be added to an existing sticky like "How to do Most Anything", but that's not my area of responsibility.
    ziggy53
    edited May 19, 2009
    ziggy53 wrote:
    I see that you, Jeremy, have done that and I thank you for doing it.

If you think that a more elaborate equipment listing is a good idea, I'm fine with that, but I'm not sure it needs a separate sticky. It would probably be added to an existing sticky like "How to do Most Anything", but that's not my area of responsibility.

Ok, sounds good. Just wanted to put it out there what I was thinking. Yeah, I think a more detailed equipment list is needed, especially when people are seeking advice on doing something such as a photoshoot for a company (came up in another thread).

I didn't know what exact equipment he had, coulding find it anywhere (he didn't have anything listed in his sig, profile or anywhere), so I just started giving him advice on what I would do with what I have and it turns out he had most of the same equipment I was talking about. But I had no clue.

Also in your profile, there isn't a whole lot of room to list your gear, you can put maybe 1-2 bodies and lenses... not much more than that.ne_nau.gif

just food for thought...
    Jer
    edited June 12, 2009
    bump? I think people may have forgotten about this thread... thought I'd give it another shot for others to join in on the non cluttered signatures act of 2009.
    Jer
  • ProfessionalProfessional Registered Users Posts: 278 Major grins
    edited June 16, 2009
    Bodies
    Hasselblad H3DII 39mp (Couldn't be happier, so what more i need?)
    EOS 1Ds Mark III
    Canon EOS 1D Mark III COLOR=Blue]Blue Dot[/COLOR
    Canon EOS 1Ds Mark II
    Canon EOS 5D

Canon EOS 1D MarkII N
    Canon EOS 30D
    Canon EOS 350D (w/BG-E3)
    Nikon CoolPix 8800

Lenses
    Canon EF 300mm f2.8L IS USM
    Canon EF 70-200mm f2.8L IS USM
    Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM
    Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L USM
    Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L USM
    Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM
    Canon EF-s 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM
    Canon EF 135mm f/2.0L USM
    Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM
    Canon EF 28-90mm f/4-5.6 II (For Sale)
    Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM
    Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM
    Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II
    Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 II[kit lens]

Sigma 12-24mm F4.5-5.6 EX DG ASP. HSM
    Sigma 17-35mm F2.8-4 EX DG ASP. HSM (Sold)
    Sigma 70-300mm F4-5.6 APO DG Macro (Sold)
    Sigma 8mm F4 EX DG Circular Fisheye

Accessories
    Canon Extender EF 1.4xII
    Canon Extender EF 2xII
    Canon Filter UV[1x] 58mm
    Canon Flash Speedlite 580EX
    Canon Remote Controller RC-1
    Canon Extension Tubes 12, 25 II
    Gitzo GT5540
    Gitzo GT1540T
    Manfrotto 190XPROB Tripod + 804RC2 Head
    Manfrotto 679B Monopod
    Manfrotto 322RC2 Head
    Epson P-4000
    Epson Stylus Pro 3800
    Quantum Battery Turbo for flash 580EX + CZ cable
    Hoya ND Filter 77mm
    Hoya Softening Filter 77mm [broken]
    Cokin UV 77mm
    Cokin P-holder + adaptor ring [77mm]
    B+W 77mm Kassm. MRC CPL
    Hitech GND filters soft edge [0.3, 0.6, 0.9, 1.2] (P-series)
    Hitech GND filters [0.9sft, 1.2sft&hrd] Z-Pro
    Marumi UV Filter 58mm
    Marumai Circualr Polarizer Filter 58mm
    Hensel Lightings 2x 1000Ws Expert Pro Plus kit [1 softbox + 1 Unmbrella + 2 stands + 1 Bag]
    3x Hensel Expert Pro Plus 500Ws

Apple MacBook Pro, 2.4GHZ,4GB RAM, 160GB HD 7200rpm, 17" High Res. wide screen[Matte] 10.4 OSX [not looking for upgrading to Leopard yet].

Many books, and some other accessories.

When i will be free i will write more about my gear, need 4 pages to write down them all.

Wish List
    Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS USM
    Canon EF 500mm f/4L IS USM
    Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS USM
    Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM
    Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM
    Canon EF 35mm L
    Canon TS 24mm L
    edited June 16, 2009
    @Professional How do you like the 804RC2 head? I have the same 190XPROB tripod legs as yours, was thinking about that head but got an off-brand version of it because it was way cheaper. which reminds me.. time to update my gear list :D

thanks for participating, and I must say... thats quite a list of gear you have there!
    Jer
    edited July 11, 2009
    giving her a good ole bumb...
    Jer