Options

Balancing Rock

roaddog52roaddog52 Registered Users Posts: 1,323 Major grins
edited November 18, 2015 in Other Cool Shots
This image was captured mid-day along the Shafer Canyon Rd, between Moab and the Canyonlands N.P.

The light was very hot and I shot this with a B&W conversion in mind from the start.

C&C welcomed.

IMG_3015-2-L.jpg

Phil
I don't know where I'm going, but I'm going anyway.

Luck happens when preparation meets opportunity!

Comments

• Options
    StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2015
    Its fabulous Phil! If you didn't say it, I wouldn't have been thinking about harshness of light! Looks like clouds were there to help you out because they are really making it pop here!
    What is a shame I have been to Moab/Canyonlands three times, and one of my all time favorite places to visit, but I never saw this rock.
    Must be on some dirt road somewhere.....
    Cheers m8!
  • Options
    ThelensspotThelensspot Registered Users Posts: 2,041 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2015
    Phil, the B&W works well here. I like the small circular shadow under the rock. Brings out the balancing rock aspect of the picture very nicely.

Take care,

Wayne
    "Photography is partly art and partly science. Really good photography adds discipline, sacrifice and a never ending pursuit of photographic excellence"...ziggy53

• Options
    edited November 15, 2015
    Stumblebum wrote: »
    Its fabulous Phil! If you didn't say it, I wouldn't have been thinking about harshness of light! Looks like clouds were there to help you out because they are really making it pop here!
    What is a shame I have been to Moab/Canyonlands three times, and one of my all time favorite places to visit, but I never saw this rock.
    Must be on some dirt road somewhere.....
    Cheers m8!

Thanks Taz. This road starts out as the Potash Rd. just out of town on the left about 1/2 mile after you cross the river. The road follows the river (somewhat) through the Potash mine areas. After a while the road T's, becoming the Shafer Canyon rd to the right and the White Rim rd to the left. The Shafer Canyon rd connects at the top with the Island in the Sky rd between the gate and the visitor center. A great stretch of road for exploring, if you have a vehicle with high clearance.

Phil
    Phil, the B&W works well here. I like the small circular shadow under the rock. Brings out the balancing rock aspect of the picture very nicely.

Take care,

Wayne

Thanks Wayne, your input and observations are always appreciated.

Phil

• Options
    StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2015
    Thanks kindly for the info Phil! When I visit that area again, I shall try to find this! Cheers m8!
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,920 moderator
    edited November 16, 2015
    That's pretty cool. I like it. I'd consider cropping the bit of rock on the left edge to make it even starker.
  • Options
    edited November 16, 2015
    Richard wrote: »
    That's pretty cool. I like it. I'd consider cropping the bit of rock on the left edge to make it even starker.

Thanks Richard. I like your crop suggestion and will probably implement the idea if I print this. I left the rock on the right, because for me, it looks like a profile of a face with pursed lips, blowing the clouds.

Phil

• Options
    CCoopCCoop Registered Users Posts: 511 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2015
    Unique perspective! In the shape of the rock, I see a baby bird! What does this say about me?!? [And wow, I see the face blowing the clouds!! LOVE THIS!!]
  • Options
    edited November 18, 2015
    CCoop wrote: »
    Unique perspective! In the shape of the rock, I see a baby bird! What does this say about me?!? [And wow, I see the face blowing the clouds!! LOVE THIS!!]

Thanks, appreciate you taking the time to view and comment.

Phil