My D600 field testing: Is it a good DSLR for weddings?

Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
edited November 1, 2012 in Weddings
I just recently posted my field test / review on the new Nikon D600, with an answer to one burning question that I'm sure many of you have: ...Is the D600 qualified for wedding duty?

http://www.slrlounge.com/nikon-d600-review-best-all-around-dslr-ever

While the image quality sure is more than enough for any job, certainly weddings; I found other limitations in autofocus and flash versatility to be the show-stoppers I feared they would be.

Your thoughts? I'm curious to hear from other photographers who may be more hobbyists and part-time wedding shooters, because my only perspective right now is that of a full-time wedding shooter with extremely demanding standards. I felt like the D600 was very close to being usable for me during weddings, and I would have loved to get the image quality, but I just couldn't let go of my D700's versatile controls / customizability, and speed / accuracy.

=Matt=

SLR-lounge-D600-faux-hdr-O.jpg

SLR-lounge-D600-wedding-O.jpg

SLR-lounge-D600-portrait-4-O.jpg

SLR-lounge-D600-low-light-O.jpg
My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum

Comments

• QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2012
    excellent review matt
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • FoquesFoques Registered Users Posts: 1,951 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2012
    bummer.. I suppose i'm going back to saving for a d800 :(
    Arseny - the too honest guy.
    My Site
    My Facebook
  • QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2012
    one question, focusing in the dark..I know you liek to use natual light a lot but did you see focusing issues with the speed light focus assist?
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2012
    Foques wrote: »
    bummer.. I suppose i'm going back to saving for a d800 :(

...Or, if you don't care about video and megapixels, a D700. That's what I'm gonna stick with for the foreseeable future!
  • Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2012
    Qarik wrote: »
    one question, focusing in the dark..I know you liek to use natual light a lot but did you see focusing issues with the speed light focus assist?

With the AF assist beam it does okay, but then again I like to use continuous focus a lot. Either way, I need more AF reliability in low light than the D600 could offer.

=Matt=
  • ARKreationsARKreations Registered Users Posts: 265 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2012
    ...Or, if you don't care about video and megapixels, a D700. That's what I'm gonna stick with for the foreseeable future!

Really nice review, Matt.
    You've nailed every reason I jumped on the D700 as soon as the D800 was announced!
    (Not to mention the complete compatibility with my D300 inventory...)
    Thanks for reassuring my decision!
    Ross - ARKreations Photography
    http://www.arkreations.com
    Nikon D700 | D300 | D80 | SB-800(x2) | SB-600(x2)
    Nikkor Lenses: 14-24 f/2.8 | 24-70 f/2.8 | 50 f/1.8 | 85 f/1.4 | 70-200 f/2.8 VR II | 70-300 VR
    edited October 29, 2012
    from what I gather, d800 has better High ISO performance.. no?

I really could care less about the video - I have a d300s, but I need as good of ISO performance as I can get.. without breaking into the d3s range. headscratch.gif
    My Site
    My Facebook
  • babowcbabowc Registered Users Posts: 510 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2012
    I'm happy with my d800, but the two are different beasts, d600 is a lightweight champ, whereas d800 would be middleweight champ :P
    -Mike Jin
    D800
    16/2.8, f1.4G primes, f2.8 trio, 105/200 macro, SB900.
    It never gets easier, you just get better.
    edited October 29, 2012
    Foques wrote: »
    from what I gather, d800 has better High ISO performance.. no?

I really could care less about the video - I have a d300s, but I need as good of ISO performance as I can get.. without breaking into the d3s range. headscratch.gif

The bottom line for me has been this: The D800 may be slightly better, but 36 megapixels is more of a drawback than the slight, slight difference in ISO 6400 usability. On the D700, ISO 3200 is totally usable and 6400 is usable in a pinch. And that, to me, is why the D700 is worth it for just $1700 compared to the D800. Immense file size savings for my high-volume workflow, and still the best deal out there even with the D800 showing up at $2500 refurbished...

=Matt=
    edited October 29, 2012
    that's a very good point.
    My Site
    My Facebook
  • joshhuntnmjoshhuntnm Registered Users Posts: 1,924 Major grins
    edited November 1, 2012
  • Dr CalohandreDr Calohandre Banned Posts: 213 Major grins
    edited November 1, 2012
    I shoot my D7000 at ISO 1600 and find the noise to be more than acceptable and at 3200 still acceptable with a little more luminance tweeking in ACR. I bought the D7000 to last for five years barring some incredible technological breakthrough, but your review reveals that while there are some nice tricks out there, for a hobbyist like myself, I still have a good three years left in my D7000. I do like your style of review. Thanks!
    edited November 1, 2012
    joshhuntnm wrote: »
    very nice for a Nikon. rolleyes1.gif

...You might find my latest SLR Lounge article just a little depressing... (Or it could mean nothing at all to you, but that's the point of the article haha...)

http://www.slrlounge.com/dxomark-sensor-rankings-nikon-owns-seven-of-top-ten-positions-for-dslrs

=Matt=