Review: Giottos MT 9371 Aluminum Tripod

VycorVycor Registered Users Posts: 386 Major grins
edited April 16, 2008 in Accessories
Okay so this is my first review and since its 2:35am and I can't sleep, figured why not. Its not a detailed review, more of what I (an average equipment purchaser with a limited budget) think.

So I picked up a Giottos MT 9371 Aluminum Tripod the other day and overall I'm impressed. I decided to go with Aluminum opposed to Carbon Fiber for a few reasons.

#1) Cost. I saved about $180 going with an aluminum tripod. The weight is only maybe a pound, pound and a half more.

#2) Weight. It weighs a little bit more, which I like. I prefer a heavier, sturdier tripod then something lighter. Carrying the tripod is no biggie. It comes with a nice strap that places the tripod vertical against my back. I forget its there

#3) Availability. It was in stock at my local camera shop

I have some likes, and some dislikes about this tripod. I'll be using this tripod with my Acratech GV2 Ballhead.
acratech-gv2-ballhead.jpg

Out of the bag the tripod had a nice feel to it. Being new, everything was still tight as I moved parts around and dismantled things. I removed my Acratech ballhead from my old tripod legs and began to screw it onto the center post. And this is where I ran into the biggest problem I had. Now, I can't be CERTAIN if i cross-threaded the screw going in, im almost certain I did not. But the screw that comes with this is weird. It has an outter screw that is the standard size, and its mounted on a spring system. Push it down, and a smaller screw appears. This might be where the main flaw I found is. As I tried to screw my ballhead on, i couldn't be 100% certain it was straight, and it seems that quite possibly I stripped something. Although I don't see it, I ended up breaking apart the screw head. Its not exactly a solid screw, as it fits AROUND another screw. So this ended up breaking off inside my ballhead.

Now my Acratech came with a brass screw that converts a smaller screw to a larger one. I put this on the center post and started to screw this in. Same problem, the brass screw broke off inside the ballhead. So looks like I may have cross-threaded something, im not too sure, but this bothered me. Because of the flaw in how the screw worked, I ended up cross-threading the center post and my ballhead (which cost me $350+).

So I ended up using the center post from my old tripod. It seems to screw together just fine. Its not 100% level as i screw it, which may tell me its cross-threaded, but its very secure. My old center post fits into my Giottos tripod just fine.

Giottos ships the MT 9371 with a center post that has a retractable hook wihch I like. Its hidden when you don't need it and pulls out when you do. Being im not using the center post that came with my tripod, as described above, im lucky enough that my old tripod had a center hook, so thats good.
HANGING_s.jpg

The legs are very sturdy and extending the legs is pretty simple. It takes a little more muscle then im used to (my old legs were a snap system, these are a twist system). But I took the tripod to the beach the other day and everything still works smoothly. Giottos encloses the extenstion system in a plastic covering
abc-S.jpg

Something I did not like though, is how to raise/lower the center post. Theres a knob you turn and it proves to be very difficult to turn. This is a big thing I don't like. Its not a deal breaker but it does bother me
B_S.jpg
The knob i'm talking bout is on the upper/left. Its just difficult to turn and even after I tighten it, sometimes its not quite tight enough and im able to force the center post down.

Theres a bubble as you see which is great for making sure my camera is level (although with a ballhead, having a level on the legs doesnt really matter much, my camera is usually not level anyway)

The tripod legs came with a nice bag which fits my legs/ballhead. They include all the hardware to service/tighten down the various components of the tripod.
Milestone_S.jpg

Im not going to go into ALL the details of the tripod, just what I found nice/not so nice.

Overall I like the tripod a lot. It cost me $189.99 from a local retailer, which is great. Less then BHPhoto would have charged me (either way im paying sales tax, both stores are in NY where im located).

I just wish they didnt put such a cheap screw. Their website shows a 1 piece screw which has both sizes on opposite ends
BBBB_S.jpg

Id rather they used this on my model rather then a cheap spring-style system that basically raises a larger screw over a smaller one. I believe this is what caused me to cross-thread my ballhead, which im kind of upset about. Should I change my tripod legs/center post in the future im afraid i'll end up breaking something else.

Comments

• rpcrowerpcrowe Registered Users Posts: 733 Major grins
    edited April 16, 2008
    I used a Giottos Ball Head
    I really like my Giottos 8180 Tripod which isn't distributed anymore. I almost got the Accratech Head but, after reading your post; I am glad I didn't. I chose the Giottos MH-1300 Ball Head which fits on the Giottos Tripod very neatly.

I do have some reservations regarding the Giottos Quick release (MH-657 and MH-655) systems. I am voicing the reservations here for the benefit of those readers who are contemplating the purchase of the Giottos Ball Head MH-1300. This head came with a MH-657 QR System.

Despite the claim that the Giottos MH-657 and MH-655 Quick Release Systems are Arca Swiss Compatible, this is not necessarily the case.

I use the MH-657 on my MH-1300 Giottos Ball Head and a MH-655 for another purpose. I also have a Really Right Stuff Right Angle "L" Canon 30D Camera Plate and a Kirk 3" lens plate. Both of these plates ARE Arca Swiss Compatible.

The RRS plate fits on the MH-657 base just fine but won't, without some modification with a file, fit on the MH-655 base. The Kirk plate fits on neither the MH-657 nor MH-655 bases.

Giottos supplies its own plates with the QR system and they have an L shaped Right Angle Plate available. It is a generic "L" late and doesn't conform to the contours of the 30D like the RRS plate. It is not quite as slick a package as is the RRS unit.

By the way - I also use a Manfrotto 3421 Gimbal on my Giottos 8180 Tripod and I love it with long lenses like my 400mm f/5.6L.

When I shoot with my 400mm f/5.6 lens, I usually hang a holster case with a 350D and the 70-200mm f/4L IS lens from the hook on the center post. If I need a shorter focal length lens, I just reach into the holster; grab the 350D and start shooting - the IS makes shooting hand-held very easy.. Hanging the bag there also keeps it safe from being tripped over or pilfered while I am shooting with the 400mm f/5.6L
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,904 moderator
    edited April 16, 2008
    Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

Others will find it useful thumb.gif
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?