FlowermanFlowerman Registered Users Posts: 141 Major grins
    edited June 23, 2010
    Prelude to a fight - might also apply.
    Great shot.
  • Options
    Wil DavisWil Davis Registered Users Posts: 1,692 Major grins
    edited June 23, 2010
    Lovely picture, great job!

…so many cool things going on; great potential!

I like the balance and the tones, and the modeling on the (LH) guy's body is great! (…centre shirt blown out a bit though ne_nau.gif)

…although it's a shame about the trimmed foot!

I can't help thinking that it looks as if the women are available by the hour (just put your money in the slot! eek7.gif)

Serious question though: Were you not worried about their reaction to your taking pictures? I think I'd be somewhat reluctant…

…but then, perhaps that's why you get all the good ones! (…note to self to be bolder)

Nice job!

thumb.gif

- Wil
    "…………………" - Marcel Marceau
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,912 moderator
    edited June 26, 2010
    I don't think the clipped foot matters at all. This one is all about attitude, and it comes through loud and clear. What would the rest of the shoe add to the story?

Nice work. thumb.gif
  • Options
    bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2010
    Can they fight and hold up there pants at same time rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2010
    Really good shot. Lovely conversion. Good framing.

Hey, maybe the are just discussion brake dancing moves.

Virginia

Email
  • Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited June 27, 2010
    nice capture, good conversion. true urban energy

two comments portend prelude to a fight. why?
  • Options
    bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2010
    Angelo wrote: »

Excellent point, Angelo. This is one of those truly ambiguous images into which one can read much, and be completely wrong. They may be discussing a dance move, a bus schedule, or be preparing to fight...who knows?

As to the excellent image...I'd work the tonality and contrast a bit if it was mine - there's a bit of a gray cast to it now.
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • Options
    rainbowrainbow Registered Users Posts: 2,765 Major grins
    edited July 2, 2010
    Flowerman wrote: »
    Prelude to a fight - might also apply.
    Great shot.
    bfjr wrote: »
    Can they fight and hold up there pants at same time rolleyes1.gif

Thanks for looking and commenting.

I held back replying because I wondered what viewers would read into it. Their stances and faces could be read as tense and hostile, but that is actually not what is going on (read on).
  • Options
    edited July 2, 2010
    Flyinggina wrote: »
    Really good shot. Lovely conversion. Good framing.

Hey, maybe the are just discussion brake dancing moves.

Virginia

Bravo, Virginia! They are actually performing street dances together and this is the interlude until they begin their next one, which they are likely discussing here.
  • Options
    edited July 2, 2010
    Wil Davis wrote: »
    Lovely picture, great job!

…so many cool things going on; great potential!

I like the balance and the tones, and the modeling on the (LH) guy's body is great! (…centre shirt blown out a bit though ne_nau.gif)

…although it's a shame about the trimmed foot!

I can't help thinking that it looks as if the women are available by the hour (just put your money in the slot! eek7.gif)

Serious question though: Were you not worried about their reaction to your taking pictures? I think I'd be somewhat reluctant…

…but then, perhaps that's why you get all the good ones! (…note to self to be bolder)

Nice job!

thumb.gif

- Wil
    Richard wrote: »
    I don't think the clipped foot matters at all. This one is all about attitude, and it comes through loud and clear. What would the rest of the shoe add to the story?

Nice work. thumb.gif

I did note the clipped foot upon initial viewing and agree that it would have been better to have it, but also that it is unimportant that it is not there (huh?ne_nau.gif)...

In this case there was little threat to getting close (other than a possible dirty look -- however since this shot shows their friendly faces, that might not have been so good rolleyes1.gif). I have been working at getting close on shots such as these. Often this entails being present for a while with my camera until they learn to ignore me or just being bold and insensitive. This is easier done in tourist areas where cameras are ubiquitous.

Thanks!
  • Options
    edited July 2, 2010
    Angelo wrote: »

Thank you. I like the phrase "true urban energy" used with this shot.
    bdcolen wrote: »
    Excellent point, Angelo. This is one of those truly ambiguous images into which one can read much, and be completely wrong. They may be discussing a dance move, a bus schedule, or be preparing to fight...who knows?

As to the excellent image...I'd work the tonality and contrast a bit if it was mine - there's a bit of a gray cast to it now.

Thanks for the comments. I am still finding my way on the processing. Not sure how you would work the tonality and contrast -- the whites are already blown and the darkest areas are black. As I view many older photography books (including from many "masters"), they lean toward darker and grayer prints. So many of the shots on this forum are so much brighter than I would ever process them.