Need advice on stage photography

funpicsfunpics Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
edited November 23, 2015 in Technique
Hello all,
I have done a fair bit of portrait photography but I am new to stage photography. I will be doing one next week for a 8-hr long non-profit cultural event in an 800 seat auditorium. The event is a bunch of 5 minute dance/music shows (some involving kids). I am not sure if I would be able to move freely taking pics without disturbing the audience.

I have couple of questions...
1) What kind of shots are generally preferred for stage shows, closeup of artists or wide (entire group) shots?
2) If my movement is restricted then what would be a good lens choice (I don't want to be changing lens a zillion times and lose a good photo moment).

I have the following gear
Primary gear: Canon 6D with 70-200mm F2.8, 24-105mm F4, 50mm f1.8, 70-300mm F3.5-5.6
backup gear: Canon 60D with 18-135mm

Comments

• SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2015
    funpics wrote: »
    Hello all,
    I have done a fair bit of portrait photography but I am new to stage photography. I will be doing one next week for a 8-hr long non-profit cultural event in an 800 seat auditorium. The event is a bunch of 5 minute dance/music shows (some involving kids). I am not sure if I would be able to move freely taking pics without disturbing the audience.

I have couple of questions...
    1) What kind of shots are generally preferred for stage shows, closeup of artists or wide (entire group) shots?
    2) If my movement is restricted then what would be a good lens choice (I don't want to be changing lens a zillion times and lose a good photo moment).

I have the following gear
    Primary gear: Canon 6D with 70-200mm F2.8, 24-105mm F4, 50mm f1.8, 70-300mm F3.5-5.6
    backup gear: Canon 60D with 18-135mm

Are you being hired to shoot this? Are you the official photographer?

Have you visited the auditorium? Have you asked the people who are putting the event on what they are expecting with regard to photography and what your access is?

That said the 70-200 f2.8 is a good solid lens and your D6 is a good low light performer.

One option is to find a seat in the back of the auditorium and use a tripod. Assuming 200 mm focal length will work. Obviously you want the best shutter speed you can get but sometimes that's not very good, but you can leave the ball head lose so you can follow the performers and time your shot when the movement is ether stopped or at a slower rate.

Many times the lighting will fluctuate all over the place and may have a spot following the action. Try and determine the brightness or what settings will give you a good exposure at the brightest part of the spot and use that. Hopefully that will give you a properly exposed main subject with everything else falling off to the dark.

If you can move around and get closer you may want to consider renting some fast glass. An 85mm 1.4, 50mm 1.4maybe a 135mm 2.0. These will let a lot of light in.

Are they going to have a dress rehearsal? If so that's the time to get great shots!

Sam
  • sarasphotossarasphotos Registered Users Posts: 3,822 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2015
    I'm not a theater photographer but work in a theater and have friends that are theater photogs (and have been photograhped on stage plenty of times...). Sam hits the nail on the head on all of his points, especially the one about shooting a rehearsal when possible - I've even known photographers to watch a "normal" (i.e. w/o costumes or makeup) rehearsal to get an idea what the piece is like. For me, the key asset to being a great theater photographer is the ability to see the moment before it happens - this is true especially for dance. There is no time to react, because by the time you react the moment is gone forever. It's all about anticipation. Also, our photographers often use two different bodies in a shoot so they don't have to change lenses.

As far as your question about closeups vs. wide shots... it depends on who you're shooting for. Most performers I know (including me :D) want pictures of themselves, but not necessarily a close-cropped head shot. Something that shows their attributes as a performer in that show. On the other hand, the scene designer for whom I design a website always wants a perspective wide enough to show his set design.

In case you have time and are interested, here's a link to the website of a theater-photographer friend of mine:

http://www.lioba-schoeneck.de/index.html

Good luck!

Sara
  • funpicsfunpics Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited November 13, 2015
    Thanks Sam for your advice.
    I am the official photographer. More of a volunteer work since it is a non-profit community cause. I have an idea of the Auditorium layout. The problem is the organizers don't have much clue about the access they can give me. I am assuming my ability to move would be fairly restricted since it might block the view of the audience if I do so.

I will take your advice and use 70-200 if I cant walk around. And use the primes if I can move.

Thanks.
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited November 23, 2015
    I do a lot of performance shooting, and what they said nod.gif

Fast long lens - zoom is helpful in this context, although the better light-gathering of a wide-aperture prime is super-useful too - and NO FLASH. Bump up your iso and grab the shot! I find a tripod very limiting; on the rare occasions I use a support, I go with a monopod.

Have fun!

http://www.divatography.com/On-stage