Marketing advice or - am I doing all I can to grow my site?

eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
edited January 11, 2012 in Mind Your Own Business
Since August 2010, I have been concentrating my landscape photography on my new home town in Massachusetts. I have worked hard to maintain an active FB page dedicated to the site and, what started as a weekly blog, has grown to a daily one. I still feel that my reach (as measured by pageviews) is not where it could be. Some specific info:

Site: Wednesdaysinmhd.com - In retrospect, I should have put the full town name in the domain but was worried it would be too long to type at the time

Hosted on a server and run off Wordpress

FB page has 285 likes/fans
Email campaign goes out once weekly and reaches 112 subscribers with 50% open rate but 5% click rate
Pageviews for past month - 7500 (1300 unique visitors)

I have had a much larger FB page (5000+ members) share my content on an intermittent basis with nice spikes in pageviews but few additional FB likes on my page.

I compare myself to a few other daily town-based photo sites - one of which has 1100 likes.

I had a Twitter account that I allowed to lapse as it only had 50 followers.
I maintain a personal G+ account that has 5000 followers at last count (though not sure how many have me in a circle but don't actually see my content).

I have also worked to show my images at the local arts association and am lining up more showings for 2012.

I would greatly appreciate any and all feedback on what I'm missing to attain better reach. If those pageviews seem respectable, I'm okay with plugging along though :dunno

Thanks in advance
E

Comments

• moose135moose135 Registered Users Posts: 1,413 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2011
    I read this last night, Eyal, and was hoping someone who, you know, has a clue would chime in first...:D

I can't really answer your questions about page views and followers, I don't really track that closely on my site. That said, let me ask you a couple of questions - what are you looking to do with your work? Just increase on-line followers, gain more notice in your community, make a few bucks (or a lot of bucks) with your photos? While it may be nice to have a big on-line following, if that doesn't get you what you want, it's not that important. You mention local art shows - that's a better way to get your name know locally. How about a local civic association? You might think about visiting, or joining, to network with business and community leaders, perhaps getting involved with local projects and events.

And let me say, I've been to your site, check out your blog (when I remember!) and "liked" you on FB - you have some terrific work, Eyal, really well done!
  • eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2011
    Thank you Moose for chiming in and for saying that about my site but damn you for asking the tough questions (just kidding iloveyou.gif)

So I guess I'll answer what I'm after with some background. In August of 2010 I decided to focus my landscape work on my new home town. Part of it was the realization that I was driving up and down to other towns for pix of kids jumping off piers when that was happening here as well. Part of it was wanting to explore my new home town in the hopes of no longer getting lost and turned around.

I started the site and figured I would post once a week - if people liked it, all the better. Now, a year and a half later, I have accrued a really nice following and have people in town (as well as a number of my patients) acknowledging my work.

But, at the same time, I realize that (in comparison to similar projects), my reach seems to be less than possible. My means of measurement likely aren't anywhere near ideal but I still feel I am missing something to broaden my viewership.

And what do I actually want to gain out of those viewers? Not necessarily increased sales and 'buckets of money'. In fact, I have been offered commissioned work to shoot specific houses and events but have turned that down. I have a 'job' and do not want my photography passion to be muted by starting to shoot for money. It would be nice to make enough to pay for the planned camera/lens upgrades this year though mwink.gif

More importantly, I just want to know that I have reached as many people who would want to see my work as possible. I think all artists strive for this and most people do too. If not for this 'need', why post on a forum or social site at all?

So in answer to your short, succinct and important question, I hope my long, winded answer offers some insights. Thanks for making me examine this question as it really is a crucial one.
  • FedererPhotoFedererPhoto Registered Users Posts: 312 Major grins
    edited January 9, 2012
    If you aren't motivated by making money... (which is the answer to your question of "Other than getting as many people as possible to see my work... why else would someone post anything online?")

then your options are considerably more fluid. You've "reached" a ton more people than I can ever dream of reaching, already. Part of it is your consistency, your high quality of work, and it's interesting. If you keep that up, and continue to be active on the major nodes (blog, facebook, twitter, g+) people will come... those that like it will stay, those that don't will go... Given you have no monetary reason, that's all you can really hope for. imho.
    Minneapolis Minnesota Wedding Photographer - Check out my Personal Photography site and Professional Photography Blog
    Here is a wedding website I created for a customer as a value-add. Comments appreciated.
    Founding member of The Professional Photography Forum as well.
  • DemianDemian Registered Users Posts: 211 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2012
    Have you been pushing your FB/Web page locally? Your shots are good, but I think stuff like this is most likely to appeal to people familiar with the city.

The Marblehead Historical Society might be a good place to start, if you haven't already.

That's about all I can think of. Good luck :)
  • eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2012
    Thanks for the comments.

I have been pushing the page locally and, after posting my year-end video slideshow, have seen a steady increase in likes. Also modified the URL/permalonk structure a bit and seem to be getting more hits from google now.

I was offere a solo show at the art association for March so I think that will end up having the most effect. Like they say 'slow and steady wins the race'