Chinese Military Police...

rpcrowerpcrowe Registered Users Posts: 733 Major grins
edited June 9, 2010 in Street and Documentary
I was leaving a restaurant in Xi'an China when I came upon this group of young Chinese People's Army Military Police. A fellow tourist put his camera up to shoot and was ordered in no uncertain terms by the officer in charge - "NO CAMERA!".

So I just left my camera hanging on my chest, pointed it towards the group of soldiers and fired a couple of shots while looking off in the opposite direction. This is the only shot that turned out decent.

Apparently, this was a contingent of new Military Police who were reporting as guards to a prison next to the restaurant.

When the group arrived at the prison gates, they were greeted by the outgoing guards who clapped and threw firecrackers. Firecrackers are used in China to frighten off Ghosts. I did not follow the troops down the street to the prison because I didn't want to land in there...

865287295_dPEvH-L.jpg

Comments

• RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,893 moderator
    edited June 8, 2010
    Interesting--they seem to be carrying blankets and wash-basins, not weapons. headscratch.gif
  • Wil DavisWil Davis Registered Users Posts: 1,692 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2010
    You might say that they're "well-equipped"…

…everything including the kitchen sink! rolleyes1.gif

thumb.gif

- Wil

PS: To the OP: great pic, but at one helluva risk! thumb.gif
    "…………………" - Marcel Marceau
  • michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2010
    It is a good image and the OP did the right thing to be discreet.

I've been stared down a few times but still managed to get some shots. Taking pictures in most situations isn't really a problem unless you get on top of them and are just snapping away. These guys are normal people and appreciate some acknowledgement of their work.
  • rpcrowerpcrowe Registered Users Posts: 733 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2010
    Well equipped...
    I think the wash basins as well as their "one size fits no one" uniforms make the picture...