883057082_U3hGF-XL-1.jpg

884908389_aFb74-XL.jpg
Liz A.
_________

Comments

• Wil DavisWil Davis Registered Users Posts: 1,692 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2010
    #1: Yes!
    #2: Well, I'd have swung the camera a bit to the right and got the other stripes more in the frame; I think as is, it is missing something, or perhaps I am… (I'm actually viewing this on a lap-top! ne_nau.gif )

thumb.gif

- Wil

Three days later looking again: God, I don't know what I was on about earlier, but #2 now looks perfect! What I said about #2 now makes no sense at all, (so, what's new?) perhaps it's just a sign of old age! headscratch.gif (sigh… wanders off… drooling…)
    "…………………" - Marcel Marceau
  • bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2010
    #1 no doubt :D
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,893 moderator
    edited June 4, 2010
    I like them both. clap.gif In #1 I wish there was a little more tonal separation of the girl from the rest of the people and the background, but given the clothing I'm not sure there's anything you can do about that. You did a better job of wardrobe coordination in #2. lol3.gif I wonder if 2 would look better cropped square anchored at the right edge. There's not really much happening on the left. Just a thought.
  • lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2010
    Wil Davis wrote: »
    #1: Yes!
    #2: Well, I'd have swung the camera a bit to the right and got the other stripes more in the frame; I think as is, it is missing something, or perhaps I am… (I'm actually viewing this on a lap-top! ne_nau.gif )

thumb.gif

- Wil

Thanks Will,
    I like #1 too.
    #2--I can see how it's missing something. I have recropped it as per Richard's suggestion. Maybe that will help.
    Liz A.
    _________
    edited June 4, 2010
    bfjr wrote: »
    #1 no doubt :D

Thank you Benjamin.
    Liz A.
    _________
    edited June 4, 2010
    Richard wrote: »
    I like them both. clap.gif In #1 I wish there was a little more tonal separation of the girl from the rest of the people and the background, but given the clothing I'm not sure there's anything you can do about that. You did a better job of wardrobe coordination in #2. lol3.gif I wonder if 2 would look better cropped square anchored at the right edge. There's not really much happening on the left. Just a thought.

Hi Richard,
    I made numerous attempts at trying to get the conversion right in number one---this is as close as I could get. Either it was too washed out, or if I bumped up the contrast, I'd lose the little girl's eyes in the shade.ne_nau.gif

I have recropped #2 as per your suggestion.

884908389_aFb74-XL-1.jpg
    The widespread use of squarecropping seems to be going around these daysrolleyes1.gif.

I also have another version--but I havent' worked on it yet--maybe you like this one more. It needs to be straightened.

884908492_rw3AT-XL.jpg
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Captain TurnipCaptain Turnip Registered Users Posts: 30 Big grins
    edited June 5, 2010
    Hi Richard,
    I made numerous attempts at trying to get the conversion right in number one---this is as close as I could get. Either it was too washed out, or if I bumped up the contrast, I'd lose the little girl's eyes in the shade.ne_nau.gif

884908389_aFb74-XL-1.jpg

I love this one. Especially the right pony-tail and the mother's hand - very cool.
    edited June 6, 2010
    Hi Richard,

884908389_aFb74-XL-1.jpg

I love this one. Especially the right pony-tail and the mother's hand - very cool.

Thanks Captain,
    That's what I liked about this shot--capturing that little moment.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Wil DavisWil Davis Registered Users Posts: 1,692 Major grins
    edited June 6, 2010
    BTW - Liz, going back and fixing the original pictures in your posts tends to make any following critiques, suggestions, comments on the originals totally irrelevant (…or even giraffe, for that matter!)

thumb.gif

- Wil
    "…………………" - Marcel Marceau
    edited June 6, 2010
    Wil Davis wrote: »
    BTW - Liz, going back and fixing the original pictures in your posts tends to make any following critiques, suggestions, comments on the originals totally irrelevant (…or even giraffe, for that matter!)

thumb.gif

- Wil

Hi Will,
    I noticed this is the second or maybe third time this has happened.
    I didn't correct the first image--I only went and made another version and I added it to the post--I didin't replace the original image, but yet, there it is, all replaced.

I actually didn't notice it til you pointed it outne_nau.gif.
    Don't know why that happens--but I will be more vigilant next time I repost a corrected image, to make sure it hasn't replaced the original imamge.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,893 moderator
    edited June 7, 2010
    Hi Will,
    I noticed this is the second or maybe third time this has happened.
    I didn't correct the first image--I only went and made another version and I added it to the post--I didin't replace the original image, but yet, there it is, all replaced.

I actually didn't notice it til you pointed it outne_nau.gif.
    Don't know why that happens--but I will be more vigilant next time I repost a corrected image, to make sure it hasn't replaced the original imamge.
    Liz,
    If you use "replace image" in your SmugMug gallery, then the new version will appear on Dgrin automatically for linked images. I suspect that's what happened.

I agree with Wil's point about not replacing images. It makes threads easier to understand if we can see the version people react to, especially for folks who don't participate every day. I find that the best way to manage my stuff is to keep all my Dgrin pics in a separate, unlisted SmugMug gallery. That way I can have all the versions I like without screwing up a public gallery.
    edited June 7, 2010
    Richard wrote: »
    Liz,
    If you use "replace image" in your SmugMug gallery, then the new version will appear on Dgrin automatically for linked images. I suspect that's what happened.

I agree with Wil's point about not replacing images. It makes threads easier to understand if we can see the version people react to, especially for folks who don't participate every day. I find that the best way to manage my stuff is to keep all my Dgrin pics in a separate, unlisted SmugMug gallery. That way I can have all the versions I like without screwing up a public gallery.

Richard,
    I didin't even know there was a "replace image" button.

This is what I do. I crop the original and I add it to the post, without replacing the first image. I guess what I need to do, and what I sometimes do (which explains why this only happens every once in a while) is to make a copy of the image, and edit the copy, and not the original.

Thanks for tips--and sorry about the confusion.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • ChiShutterChiShutter Registered Users Posts: 83 Big grins
    edited June 8, 2010
    Hi Richard,

I also have another version--but I havent' worked on it yet--maybe you like this one more. It needs to be straightened.

884908492_rw3AT-XL.jpg
    I love this one; it's my favorite of all that you've posted in this thread. I especially like how much of the little girl's emotions I can see/interpret (imagine?) in the way she's looking at the water fountain, the way she's holding her body and limbs... excellent.
    edited June 8, 2010
    ChiShutter wrote: »
    I love this one; it's my favorite of all that you've posted in this thread. I especially like how much of the little girl's emotions I can see/interpret (imagine?) in the way she's looking at the water fountain, the way she's holding her body and limbs... excellent.

Thank you:)
    I too like her little body and the way she was holding herself. Glad I posted it, even if it was an afterthought. Sometimes you just never know which shots will resonate.
    Liz A.
    _________