Reach for the stars

rainbowrainbow Registered Users Posts: 2,765 Major grins
edited June 9, 2010 in Street and Documentary
893393957_by3vM-XL.jpg

Comments

• RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,893 moderator
    edited June 8, 2010
    This one didn't grab me immediately, but after looking with greater attention it gets interesting. One wonders whether it's some sort of scientific experiment or Doctor Evil trying to destroy the sun. Or? headscratch.gif
  • bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2010
    15524779-Ti.gif and that's Dr. Evil trying to Harness Sun ENERGY to ..............??? :D
  • rainbowrainbow Registered Users Posts: 2,765 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2010
    Richard wrote: »
    This one didn't grab me immediately, but after looking with greater attention it gets interesting. One wonders whether it's some sort of scientific experiment or Doctor Evil trying to destroy the sun. Or? headscratch.gif

This is from an industrial technology class project. The prospective future scientist has just launched his carefully constructed rocket (the white dot to the right of the sun - a hint of structure is visible upon close inspection). The cart holds the air compressor - visible is the launch tube pointing at the rocket.
    edited June 9, 2010
    bfjr wrote: »
    15524779-Ti.gif and that's Dr. Evil trying to Harness Sun ENERGY to ..............??? :D

Not Dr. Evil... BUT every kid who has dreamed of breaking the bonds of earth and soaring to the stars!
    (One of the biggest disappointments from childhood is that we are not zipping around on Jetson flying saucers...)
  • michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2010
    rainbow wrote: »
    This is from an industrial technology class project. The prospective future scientist has just launched his carefully constructed rocket (the white dot to the right of the sun). The cart holds the air compressor - visible is the launch tube pointing at the rocket.

And here I was thinking that you needed to clean up a dust spot. mwink.gif I figured it was a rocket launcher but the lack of smoke confused me. But compressed air clears that up. It would have been wonderful if you'd been able to get the launch when the rocket was closer. Still excellent shot looking straight at the sun.
    edited June 9, 2010
    michswiss wrote: »
    And here I was thinking that you needed to clean up a dust spot. mwink.gif I figured it was a rocket launcher but the lack of smoke confused me. But compressed air clears that up. It would have been wonderful if you'd been able to get the launch when the rocket was closer. Still excellent shot looking straight at the sun.

Agreed -- limitations of using a P & S as right when he launched, I depressed the shutter. Unlike a fuel powered rocket, maximum speed is at launch, so I only got a tiny dot. :cry

BUT I was so pleased with the shot as it captured what I envisioned and in hindsight could not imagine a better angle to take this shot from. The clouds and sun flaring were a bonus.

Thanks!