Worldwide Photowalk

lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
edited August 1, 2010 in Street and Documentary
Forgive the processing.
I love some, and some make my eyes hurt. I'm still working my way through LR3--I'm like a kid in a candy store--too many options and I ate too much candy, and well this is the end result--need some pepto.

(I just looked at my signature and I've hit over 2,000 posts :huh- how did that happen?

948590107_MTxtm-XL.jpg

946239011_zu487-XL-1.jpg

946239123_RRKHg-XL-1.jpg

948506401_G3ewD-XL-1.jpg

948501035_gmnh9-XL-1.jpg
Liz A.
_________

Comments

• bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2010
    Ok I don't get the "Title" ne_nau.gif

But I do like #2

2000 posts what a baby rolleyes1.gif
  • lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2010
    bfjr wrote: »
    Ok I don't get the "Title" ne_nau.gif

But I do like #2

2000 posts what a baby rolleyes1.gif

Thanks Benjamin,
    The title means that I attended the 3rd annual Scott Kelby worldwide photowalk. All over the world people sign up to be part of it (all take place on the same day) you either meet up with a group you sign up with that is close to you, or you can choose to be a leader of one of the walks.

I joined up with one in Chinatown/Little Italy.

Awais posted some of his in "cool shots" as did Don Ricklin.

It was my first time and I enjoyed it immensely. Nice to see how the same people walking almost the same route see things so differently. Most people concentrated on the buildings, decorations etc--I concentrated on the people :D.

I'll catch up to you yet.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2010
    I like your set, Liz. thumb.gif

Especially the Thai CHi stuff in #4!

Glad you had fun. This as my third year!

Don
    Don Ricklin - Gear: Canon EOS 5D Mark III, was Pentax K7
    'I was older then, I'm younger than that now' ....
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2010
    These are great!
    3 and 5 are my favorites
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • PattiPatti Registered Users Posts: 1,576 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2010
    Enjoyed your series Liz. I think I'd like a bit more black/contrast in them or maybe I associate hi contrast with your great work.

I was sorry to miss this year's walk. It was so much fun last year.
    The use of a camera is similar to that of a knife. You can use it to peel potatoes, or carve a flute. ~ E. Kahlmeyer
    ... I'm still peeling potatoes.

patti hinton photography
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,893 moderator
    edited July 28, 2010
    Nice work, Liz. I like the composition of #3 a lot but I'm not so sure about the desaturated processing. But if you do want that look, you ought to further desaturate the blue shopping bag at the left edge, which seems too strong for the rest.
    edited July 28, 2010
    DonRicklin wrote: »
    I like your set, Liz. thumb.gif

Especially the Thai CHi stuff in #4!

Glad you had fun. This as my third year!

Don

Thank you Don,
    I spent a little too much time watching them and lost my group towards the end. The ones in the back were doing the Tai Chi--the two in the foreground were practice fighting. There was also a funny drunk that kept toasting me with his brown bagged bottle, I wish I could have gotten him in the frame:)

I had fun--I will do it next year too. I am hoping to lead one in Queens, NYC.
    Liz A.
    _________
    edited July 28, 2010
    These are great!
    3 and 5 are my favorites

Thanks Awais--#5 has a little story.
    Although there were photographers everywhere, some in the group gathered around the gamblers don't want shots taken. If they waved me away (which happened twice) I would nod and leave or put my camera down and watch. But for this shot the old guy next to me kept elbow checking me--the second time hard and made me lose my focus!
    So I had to elbow check him back and shoot him a dirty look, but I got my shot:)

I'm not one for disrepecting other people and if they don't want to be photographed, I will abide--But the players had no problem with me, just this spectator and well elbow checking isn't asking in my book.
    Liz A.
    _________
    edited July 28, 2010
    Patti wrote: »
    Enjoyed your series Liz. I think I'd like a bit more black/contrast in them or maybe I associate hi contrast with your great work.

I was sorry to miss this year's walk. It was so much fun last year.

I almost didn't make it myself Patti and only signed up 3 days before the walk. It was my first.

My goal with LR3 is to learn how to process in high contrast but also try not to blow too much of the whites and also not lose the shadows. It's a work in progress. I hope I can figure it out. Thank you for the high compliment. So far I've been aggrevated with my processing attempts in LR3, but I hope I will eventually figure it out.
    Liz A.
    _________
    edited July 28, 2010
    Richard wrote: »
    Nice work, Liz. I like the composition of #3 a lot but I'm not so sure about the desaturated processing. But if you do want that look, you ought to further desaturate the blue shopping bag at the left edge, which seems too strong for the rest.

Thank you Richard. It was an experiment. I could not even tell you how I got the final image. I liked it so I kept it, but the bag bothered me too.
    I thought about solving that by cropping her out, but I like the building on top of her too much. I have not yet figured out how to just desaturate on one little area and not the entire shot.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • PattiPatti Registered Users Posts: 1,576 Major grins
    edited July 28, 2010
    I almost didn't make it myself Patti and only signed up 3 days before the walk. It was my first.

My goal with LR3 is to learn how to process in high contrast but also try not to blow too much of the whites and also not lose the shadows. It's a work in progress. I hope I can figure it out. Thank you for the high compliment. So far I've been aggrevated with my processing attempts in LR3, but I hope I will eventually figure it out.

I haven't moved up from LR2 - tried the beta of LR3 and didn't like the new import process. Not sure the changes are worth it to my rigid brain. Laughing.gif
    The use of a camera is similar to that of a knife. You can use it to peel potatoes, or carve a flute. ~ E. Kahlmeyer
    ... I'm still peeling potatoes.

patti hinton photography
  • BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2010
    I am on the fence on some of the processing but I think #3 comes together well.
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
  • misterbmisterb Banned Posts: 601 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2010
    I think the processing seems a bit "muddy" and lacks zing.

I looked on the interweb to find a good example of B&W.. and found one that you should relate to: a subway car.

subwaycarinterior-22.jpg
    edited August 1, 2010
    Patti--it continues to drive me insane!

Bradford Benn--I am playing with LR3 and finding my way around it. I'm glad #3 works for you.

Misterb. That is sweet processing of b&w, wish I new the workflow to get there. Again, I will eventually figuer out LR3 and every tool that is available to me and go back to my regular style of processing in high contrast, I just hope to work out some kinks.
    Liz A.
    _________