Retarded Smugmug "Site Actions"

Damon016Damon016 Registered Users Posts: 124 Major grins
edited November 26, 2011 in SmugMug Support
So I delete a sub-catergory in Sumter Equestrian Center (Shows) Sub-Categories

so it then places EVERY PHOTO gallery into
Sumter Equestrian Center (Shows) Galleries

IF I DELETE A sub-CATEGORY THAT MEANS I WANT IT ALL GONE, NOT REMOVED AND PLACED ELSEWHERE! This is RETARDED! Now, how do I (in one swoop) delete all of those? Why am I PAYING to do MORE WORK!? This is crap!

DELETE means DELETE, not move to another f@#$% spot in the gallery!
:puke1:bs

co#$% developer should be :beatwax:thwak:hung

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2011
    Deleting a subcat does just what you describe - I'm sorry that it upset you so much :(

We are revamping our tools and hope to have some cool new ways to do this action.
  • Damon016Damon016 Registered Users Posts: 124 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2011
    Andy wrote: »
    Deleting a subcat does just what you describe - I'm sorry that it upset you so much :(

We are revamping our tools and hope to have some cool new ways to do this action.

But it should clear all contents in that category. Zenfolio, Fotki, every other side out there (you delete) it (deletes...)

Please tell me how much sense it makes to be able to upload 100 folders worth of photos but only be able to delete one at a time Andy? Why isn't there a feature to "Check off like you do watermark" and hit delete? Why do I have to go into each individual one and delete. Do you know how cumbersome (retarded) that is?

If you go here: http://eyecanshoot.smugmug.com/SumterEquestrianCenterShows

Then (just below) when you open the page you see the 3 sub-categories. Then you have ALLLLLLLLLL below that. How do I delete those in one swoop.. (please refer to first segment of this thread where I asked that as well)
    edited May 11, 2011
    edited May 11, 2011
    Damon016 wrote: »
    But it should clear all contents in that category. Zenfolio, Fotki, every other side out there (you delete) it (deletes...)

Please tell me how much sense it makes to be able to upload 100 folders worth of photos but only be able to delete one at a time Andy? Why isn't there a feature to "Check off like you do watermark" and hit delete? Why do I have to go into each individual one and delete. Do you know how cumbersome (retarded) that is?

If you go here: http://eyecanshoot.smugmug.com/SumterEquestrianCenterShows

Then (just below) when you open the page you see the 3 sub-categories. Then you have ALLLLLLLLLL below that. How do I delete those in one swoop.. (please refer to first segment of this thread where I asked that as well)

Would you like us to delete those galleries for you? Please write our Support Heroes, we're happy to help and do it for you, upon clear precise written instructions to do so, thanks!
    edited May 11, 2011
    Andy wrote: »
    Would you like us to delete those galleries for you? Please write our Support Heroes, we're happy to help and do it for you, upon clear precise written instructions to do so, thanks!

I already wrote, and no one has responded. I do not want the "Catergory deleted" Nor the three below (it's the individuals ALL BELOW THAT) in the

That need to be deleted. Most important is the option to do this our self which could be quickly integrated.

Sumter Equestrian Center (Shows) Sub-Categories
    Sort sub-categories: arrange

Sumter May 15-16 2010 : 69 galleries with 2316 photos

Sumter 4H Show (Apr 30, 2011) : 83 galleries with 2666 photos

Sumter 4H Show (April 24th, 2010) : 73 galleries with 3016 photos

(Those ABOVE kept)

THESE BELOW DELETED... YES, Please, THANK YOU! (And please add option) for us to do it our selves!

Sort galleries: arrange
    folder-1::rider-10 : Settings

folder-1::rider-10 edit
    11. Out of the slammer - Lauren H. : Settings

11. Out of the slammer - Lauren H. edit
    19. B. Tafelski : Settings

19. B. Tafelski edit
    13. Alicia I. : Settings

13. Alicia I. edit
    20. B. Tafelski (other) : Settings

20. B. Tafelski (other) edit
    22. Kayleigh M. : Settings

22. Kayleigh M. edit
    23. Cari L. : Settings

23. Cari L. edit
    12. Hanna H. : Settings

12. Hanna H. edit
    folder-1::rider-26 : Settings

folder-1::rider-26 edit
    28. Buckskin (Hernando) : Settings

28. Buckskin (Hernando) edit
    folder-1::rider-31 : Settings

folder-1::rider-31 edit
    folder-1::rider-34 : Settings

folder-1::rider-34 edit
    36. Chelsea M. : Settings

36. Chelsea M. edit
    37. Carli P. : Settings

37. Carli P. edit
    folder-1::rider-38 : Settings

folder-1::rider-38 edit
    folder-1::rider-41 : Settings

folder-1::rider-41 edit
    43. Emily A. : Settings

43. Emily A. edit
    folder-1::rider-45 : Settings

folder-1::rider-45 edit
    folder-1::rider-46 : Settings

folder-1::rider-46 edit
    folder-1::rider-47 : Settings

folder-1::rider-47 edit
    48. Kristin L. : Settings

48. Kristin L. edit
    folder-1::rider-50 : Settings

folder-1::rider-50 edit
    folder-1::rider-51 : Settings

folder-1::rider-51 edit
    52. Abigail T. : Settings

52. Abigail T. edit
    folder-1::rider-54 : Settings

folder-1::rider-54 edit
    folder-1::rider-57 : Settings

folder-1::rider-57 edit
    Bailey M. : Settings

Bailey M. edit
    folder-1::rider-8 : Settings

folder-1::rider-8 edit
    rider-1-18-3-38-62 : Settings

rider-1-18-3-38-62 edit
    rider-62-199::rider-100 : Settings

rider-62-199::rider-100 edit
    rider-62-199::rider-181 : Settings

rider-62-199::rider-181 edit
    rider-62-199::rider-199 : Settings

rider-62-199::rider-199 edit
    rider-62-199::rider-62 : Settings

rider-62-199::rider-62 edit
    rider-62-199::rider-63 : Settings

rider-62-199::rider-63 edit
    rider-62-199::rider-65 : Settings

rider-62-199::rider-65 edit
    rider-62-199::rider-67 : Settings

rider-62-199::rider-67 edit
    rider-62-199::rider-68 : Settings

rider-62-199::rider-68 edit
    rider-62-199::rider-69 : Settings

rider-62-199::rider-69 edit
    rider-62-199::rider-70 : Settings

rider-62-199::rider-70 edit
    rider-62-199::rider-72 : Settings

rider-62-199::rider-72 edit
    rider-62-199::rider-74 : Settings

rider-62-199::rider-74 edit
    rider-62-199::rider-76 : Settings

rider-62-199::rider-76 edit
    rider-62-199::rider-77 : Settings

rider-62-199::rider-77 edit
    empty gallery Settings

rider-62-199::rider-82 edit
    empty gallery Settings

rider-62-199::rider-84 edit
    empty gallery Settings

rider-62-199::rider-85 edit
    empty gallery Settings

rider-62-199::rider-85-99 edit
    empty gallery Settings

rider-62-199::rider-86 edit
    empty gallery Settings

rider-62-199::rider-87 edit
    empty gallery Settings

rider-62-199::rider-88 edit
    empty gallery Settings

rider-62-199::rider-90 edit
    empty gallery Settings

rider-62-199::rider-91 edit
    empty gallery Settings

rider-62-199::rider-92 edit
    empty gallery Settings

rider-62-199::rider-96 edit
    empty gallery Settings

rider-62-199::rider-97 edit
    empty gallery Settings

riders-36-14-69-12 edit
    empty gallery Settings

western-class-19 edit
    empty gallery Settings

western-class-20 edit
    empty gallery Settings

western-class-21 edit
    empty gallery Settings

western-class-5 edit
    empty gallery Settings

western-randoms edit
    3663-sumter : Settings

3663-sumter edit
    reserve-gelding : Settings

reserve-gelding edit
    reserve-mare-multip : Settings

reserve-mare-multip edit

Deleted!
  • jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2011
    I already wrote, and no one has responded. I do not want the "Catergory deleted" Nor the three below (it's the individuals ALL BELOW THAT) in the

That need to be deleted. Most important is the option to do this our self which could be quickly integrated.
    Smugmug does not support an option to delete multiple galleries at once. Categories and sub-categories are not actually containers in the way we think of folders on the hard disk. They are merely attributes on a gallery. So, removing them, just resets the attributes on the galleries that are assigned to them - it does not delete them. I'm not here to argue with you how it should or shouldn't work - just describing how it does work. If you want to delete galleries, you have to delete them one by one.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
    edited May 11, 2011
    I already wrote, and no one has responded.

I replied. No need to post here on dgrin we're handling from the help desk, thank you.
    edited May 12, 2011
    It was explained how it works, but with that being said there needs to be a feature for people whom have massive amounts of galleries (if they need to remove and reupload etc) that allows us to DELETE w/out having to go into the gallery one by one.
    edited May 12, 2011
    It was explained how it works, but with that being said there needs to be a feature for people whom have massive amounts of galleries (if they need to remove and reupload etc) that allows us to DELETE w/out having to go into the gallery one by one.
    Why would you need to remove and reupload? There are ways to upload new while avoiding duplicates or ways to upload and replace existing images.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    edited May 12, 2011
    jfriend wrote: »
    Why would you need to remove and reupload? There are ways to upload new while avoiding duplicates or ways to upload and replace existing images.

In this case it was the arrangement and the way SE uploaded. I don't have time to check 112 galleries and guess... It sucked, but nothing I can do about it =(
    edited May 12, 2011
    In this case it was the arrangement and the way SE uploaded. I don't have time to check 112 galleries and guess... It sucked, but nothing I can do about it =(
    Sounds like you did some sort of mass upload in SE and it didn't go where you wanted it to. If I remember right, I think SE can do gallery deletions too. Might require one of the SE add-ons that costs more $$ (Albums1 Pro Package). As I am not fond of the SE add-on mechanism, I haven't kept track of what they do or bought any.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    edited May 12, 2011
    Sounds like you did some sort of mass upload in SE and it didn't go where you wanted it to. If I remember right, I think SE can do gallery deletions too. Might require one of the SE add-ons that costs more $$ (Albums1 Pro Package). As I am not fond of the SE add-on mechanism so I haven't kept track of what they do or bought any.

It was just the arrangement that was off, then I tried to change it in SM and it would not put them where I saved. I said screw it and started over lol... The folks just have to search out their number in that folder which is a pain in the ass!!!
    edited May 12, 2011
    Sounds like you did some sort of mass upload in SE and it didn't go where you wanted it to. If I remember right, I think SE can do gallery deletions too. Might require one of the SE add-ons that costs more $$ (Albums1 Pro Package). As I am not fond of the SE add-on mechanism so I haven't kept track of what they do or bought any.

Is this true? I was wondering how all these albums got created....
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2011
    S*E trial has all the Pro Features enabled. Select as many albums as you want, click right-mouse button and choose "Delete" from the context menu. You'll get a "trial warning", but that's about it.
    Oh, and btw, you can rearrange the albums (and images) by simply dragging them to a new place, no need to reupload at all.
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
    edited May 12, 2011
    FYI, Damon - I've just had a long talk with our product and sorcery team about this need - for easier deletions. Thanks for the awesome feedback!
    edited November 23, 2011
    Cool.
  • SamirDSamirD Registered Users Posts: 3,474 Major grins
    edited November 24, 2011
    I've maybe got a 'mass delete' function working. It's barely working if it is. I hired a developer who stopped working on it and just gave me the code he had. If you want to test it out, PM me and I'll send you the link.
    Pictures and Videos of the Huntsville Car Scene: www.huntsvillecarscene.com
    Want faster uploading? Vote for FTP!
    edited November 24, 2011
    lol Samir... Thanks but "barely" isn't going to cut it =/ Especially if it messes something else up in the process. It's not that hard for them to do here, just won't do it. Look at the time frame!ne_nau.gif
    edited November 24, 2011
    lol Samir... Thanks but "barely" isn't going to cut it =/ Especially if it messes something else up in the process. It's not that hard for them to do here, just won't do it. Look at the time frame!ne_nau.gif
    Do you use LR3? Hero Sebastian suggested that in your other thread. If you need a one-time delete, our Heroes can help, we'll be happy to delete galleries for you we just need a precise list and send it to us http://help.smugmug.com
  • SamirDSamirD Registered Users Posts: 3,474 Major grins
    edited November 24, 2011
    Well, I remember it working fine even as we were going back and forth during the development process, but who knows what they gave me in the end. I just haven't had time to test it. I'm PM'ing you link.

The UI asks for each album url and then shows you what its about to delete before it does. If it doesn't work, it won't delete anything. I had 4 different functions I had them code. I know all of them don't work, but I need to find out exactly where they failed so I can fix their code. I've thought about opening these tools up as an alpha and let people start playing with them, but I don't have time to fix the errors found, so that's not a good debug method.

Developing anything is tough, and a feature like this for SM requires a UI as well as the back-end code. If it was easy, I think they would have done it by now, especially since there's demand since they have a workaround at support. And I think the only reason SM support can do it is because of the same 3rd party tools suggested above.
    Pictures and Videos of the Huntsville Car Scene: www.huntsvillecarscene.com
    Want faster uploading? Vote for FTP!
  • frugalafrugala Registered Users Posts: 29 Big grins
    edited November 26, 2011
    FTP tools can sync your hard drive to your Smugmug account. I just setup the following according to spoofs post, and the Fling client has options to automatically sync a folder structure on your hard drive onto your smugmug account. And full sync mode means it will delete files/galleries off smugmug that don't align with your hard drive.

www.smugftp.com
    this handy little feature allows ftp into your smug mug galleries. You would need an FTP client, such as filezilla, but I found one that works better called Fling File Transfer: http://www.nchsoftware.com/ftp/index.html Fling can be configured to monitor a local folder then update the smug mug gallery. You can even specify the time between scans. Filezilla cannot do this. So far this has been working like a charm!