2015 Mid-Atlantic Air Museum WWII Weekend - Reading, PA

moose135moose135 Registered Users Posts: 1,416 Major grins
edited June 16, 2015 in Other Cool Shots
This weekend is the 25th annual World War II Weekend air show at the Mid-Atlantic Air Museum in Reading, PA. I've been in the area just about all of those years, but the air show always falls on the same weekend as the Pocono NASCAR race, and I've never made it to Reading. I'm out in the Poconos again this weekend, but this time, I decided to hit the air show Saturday. In addition to several dozen war birds that fly during the show, they have a large area devoted to WWII reenactors, American, Allied, and Axis. It's a great time, and certainly worth a visit.

1 - P-51C Tuskegee Airmen commemorative.

JM_2015_06_06_MAAM_Reading_005-XL.jpg

2 - One of close to a dozen T-6/SNJs on hand.

JM_2015_06_06_MAAM_Reading_008BW-XL.jpg

3 - The Mid-Atlantic Air Museum is in the process of restoring a P-61 Black Widow fighter. There are four left in existence, the other three in museums. When this restoration is complete, it will be the only airworthy P-61.

JM_2015_06_06_MAAM_Reading_010-XL.jpg

4 - Curtiss Helldiver and Douglas Dauntless getting airborne.

JM_2015_06_06_MAAM_Reading_013-XL.jpg

5 - B-17 Yankee Lady

JM_2015_06_06_MAAM_Reading_011BW-XL.jpg

6 - B-29 Fifi

JM_2015_06_06_MAAM_Reading_035-XL.jpg

7 - C-46 Tinker Belle lives down near me in Monroe, NC but makes the show circuit.

JM_2015_06_06_MAAM_Reading_032-XL.jpg

8 - They even threw guys out the back...crazy, I know!

JM_2015_06_06_MAAM_Reading_033-XL.jpg

9 - FG-2 Corsair

JM_2015_06_06_MAAM_Reading_018-XL.jpg

10 - This was the first time I've seen a Grumman Wildcat outside of a museum. This was only one of several low passes the pilot treated us to.

JM_2015_06_06_MAAM_Reading_019-XL.jpg

Comments

• StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
    edited June 7, 2015
    #2 and #7 are outstanding!
    #8 is cool too!
  • black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,321 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2015
    Great stuff, John. I was glad to read of the Black Widow....one of the best night fighters ever built. I hope I get to see it fly one day.

The shot of the Helldiver and the Dauntless would have pleased Hal Buell. He flew both in the Pacific battles of WW11. I got to know Hal well before he died...at 93 years of age. He was the only pilot ( American or Japanese ) that was present in all five major aircraft carrier conflicts during the war. The book Hal wrote....Dauntless Helldivers....is one of the very best accounts of what the carrier war was really like. If you haven't read it, you should. It's terrific.

Take care,

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • CCoopCCoop Registered Users Posts: 511 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2015
    Love your BW treatment of #2 and #5! Couldn't be better. Makes me want to wash the grease off my hands!!

The shot of the Helldiver and the Dauntless would have pleased Hal Buell. He flew both in the Pacific battles of WW11. I got to know Hal well before he died...at 93 years of age. He was the only pilot ( American or Japanese ) that was present in all five major aircraft carrier conflicts during the war. The book Hal wrote....Dauntless Helldivers....is one of the very best accounts of what the carrier war was really like. If you haven't read it, you should. It's terrific.

Take care,

Tom

Tom--Glad you made the book recommendation. I'll look for it, sounds very interesting! --CCoop
  • moose135moose135 Registered Users Posts: 1,416 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2015
    Thanks! I really appreciate it. Tom, I remember you mentioned Hal Buell before, I'm going to have to get a copy of his book, sounds fascinating.
  • TravelTravel Registered Users Posts: 276 Major grins
    edited June 14, 2015
    What lens were you using? Nice shots!
  • ThelensspotThelensspot Registered Users Posts: 2,041 Major grins
    edited June 14, 2015
    Great stuff, John. I was glad to read of the Black Widow....one of the best night fighters ever built. I hope I get to see it fly one day.

Take care,

Tom

I agree with Tom. One of the best carrier war books I've had the pleasure to read. Dr. Buell's descriptive writing is second to none when it comes to aviation war tales!
    "Photography is partly art and partly science. Really good photography adds discipline, sacrifice and a never ending pursuit of photographic excellence"...ziggy53

edited June 15, 2015
    Travel wrote: »
    What lens were you using? Nice shots!
    Thank you! I'm shooting with a Canon 5D3 and all of the shots (except 2 and 3) were shot with the Canon 100-400 Original Recipe. The other two were with the Canon 24-105.
    edited June 15, 2015
    Inspired by your #2 and #5 (as I already said above), I've converted one of my recent Corsair shots from the "Good Neighbor Day 2015" airshow at DeKalb Peachtree (PDK) airport. I converted to BW using a lightroom preset, added grain, vignetting. I may not come halfway to your standard, but in any case thanks for the inspiration! --CCoop
    IMG_1854-X2.jpg
  • The Lazy DestroyerThe Lazy Destroyer Registered Users Posts: 127 Major grins
    edited June 15, 2015
    Love #2
    Great shots, thanks for sharing!
    ____Motoception Photography____
    www.motoception.com
    edited June 16, 2015
    Nice work, Carter. I have the Nik collection in PS, and use Silver Efex Pro for my conversions. I pretty much play with different presets, adding and tweaking until I get something I like. Each time it's a bit of an adventure, as I don't always remember what I used the last time, but it lets me try different things and get different results.
    edited June 16, 2015
    moose135 wrote: »
    Nice work, Carter. I have the Nik collection in PS, and use Silver Efex Pro for my conversions. I pretty much play with different presets, adding and tweaking until I get something I like. Each time it's a bit of an adventure, as I don't always remember what I used the last time, but it lets me try different things and get different results.
    Thanks for letting me play!