Airshow at DeKalb Peachtree Airport 2015: In Air

CCoopCCoop Registered Users Posts: 511 Major grins
edited June 4, 2015 in Other Cool Shots
An exciting show at the Good Neighbor Day 2015 at the DeKalb Peachtree Airport in Atlanta. Here are some shots "in the air" with exposure info. I wanted to have some propeller blur so I kept the shutter speed to 1/250 to 1/500, aperture in midrange for sharpness and depth of field, ISO 200 to 400 to limit noise, with polarizing filter, "panning mode" stabilization. All this on my Canon 70 D with Sigma 50-150 f/2.8 OS. These are all at near 100% crops.
I had a blast shooting and doing minor edits in LR4. As always I welcome your critique and suggestions ...
--Carter

1/320;f/9 IMG_1767-2-X2.jpg

1/500; f/5.6 IMG_1816-2-X2.jpg

1/320; f/5.6 IMG_1907-2-X2.jpg

#4 1/400; f/10 IMG_1941-2-X2.jpg

1/250; f/11 IMG_1994-2-X2.jpg

1/320; f/7.1 IMG_2077-2-X2.jpg

Comments

• StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2015
    #2, #3 and #5 for me are real nice! Comp and light are solid!
    Of course I can't know what challenges you were facing in terms of location and gear, but it might help to crank up the shutter some.....and you can open aperture wide as at that distance DOF is not an issue. It also lets you expose to the right a tad and lets you bring it back in post.
    Cheers!
  • ThelensspotThelensspot Registered Users Posts: 2,041 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2015
    The Corsair and "Quicksilver" the P51 shots for me!!! Quicksilver is out of Lewisburg, WVa. and is a 16yr
    renovation effort! I met the pilot at a small airshow where I used to live. He was the ONLY act but well worth being there to see it.

Thanks Carter!!!
    "Photography is partly art and partly science. Really good photography adds discipline, sacrifice and a never ending pursuit of photographic excellence"...ziggy53

• CCoopCCoop Registered Users Posts: 511 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2015
    <<#2, #3 and #5 for me are real nice! Comp and light are solid!
    Of course I can't know what challenges you were facing in terms of location and gear, but it might help to crank up the shutter some.....and you can open aperture wide as at that distance DOF is not an issue. It also lets you expose to the right a tad and lets you bring it back in post.
    Cheers!>>

Thanks for the help! I appreciate the suggestion about opening up the aperture more and using a faster shutter speed for a crisper image. I understand you to say that at that distance, the DOF would be adequate. I think I've pushed the limits of my equipment here. These are near 100% crops that may have been better captured with a 400 mm lens, which I don't have! A little grainy, and a little soft for my taste.Thanks for the suggestion!
    edited June 2, 2015
    Stumblebum wrote: »
    #2, #3 and #5 for me are real nice! Comp and light are solid!
    Cheers!

See above. Thanks, Carter
  • moose135moose135 Registered Users Posts: 1,413 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2015
    Good work, Carter, you're on the right track with your settings - I usually keep the shutter at or below 1/320 when shooting props, don't use a filter, polarizing or otherwise, and usually use ISO 100 or 200 when the light is decent. I agree that you are pushing the limits of your equipment - as I mentioned in your other thread, I use the Canon 100-400, and I'm at the long end for these guys. They're small airplanes, and end up a fair distance away while they are performing. It does take some practice, panning with a long lens at a slow shutter speed, but when it works, it's very rewarding.

I've seen Quicksilver a number of times - and have gotten to know Scott (the pilot) a bit, he's a nice guy. I think I saw that Corsair down in Monroe last year, both are really nice birds.
    Stumblebum wrote: »
    Of course I can't know what challenges you were facing in terms of location and gear, but it might help to crank up the shutter some.....and you can open aperture wide as at that distance DOF is not an issue.
    Not if you want nice prop blur! When I'm shooting props, I'll start at 1/320 and play as slow as 1/60. On a sunny day, even with ISO 100, I'm getting apertures all the way into the f/22 range.
    edited June 4, 2015
    The Corsair and "Quicksilver" the P51 shots for me!!! Quicksilver is out of Lewisburg, WVa. and is a 16yr
    renovation effort! I met the pilot at a small airshow where I used to live. He was the ONLY act but well worth being there to see it.

Thanks Carter!!!

Thanks for your comments. I appreciate your identifying these planes--I love them but don't know much about them! Eager to learn more! --Carter
    edited June 4, 2015
    moose135 wrote: »
    Good work, Carter, you're on the right track with your settings - I usually keep the shutter at or below 1/320 when shooting props, don't use a filter, polarizing or otherwise, and usually use ISO 100 or 200 when the light is decent. I agree that you are pushing the limits of your equipment - as I mentioned in your other thread, I use the Canon 100-400, and I'm at the long end for these guys. They're small airplanes, and end up a fair distance away while they are performing. It does take some practice, panning with a long lens at a slow shutter speed, but when it works, it's very rewarding.

I've seen Quicksilver a number of times - and have gotten to know Scott (the pilot) a bit, he's a nice guy. I think I saw that Corsair down in Monroe last year, both are really nice birds.

Not if you want nice prop blur! When I'm shooting props, I'll start at 1/320 and play as slow as 1/60. On a sunny day, even with ISO 100, I'm getting apertures all the way into the f/22 range.

Thanks for the tips ... and for your own pics on your post. Very helpful! --Carter