Options

Hermione

ThelensspotThelensspot Registered Users Posts: 2,041 Major grins
edited June 14, 2015 in Other Cool Shots
The replica of the French sailing ship Hermione (pronounced er -me - own) arrived in Yorktown on Friday and spent the weekend. The original Hermione brought General Lafayette to the Colonies in 1780. This replica has an incredible history which you can find here:

http://www.hermione2015.com/#home

I wasn't lucky enough to get tickets to allow me to board her so most of these shots are taken from the beach at Yorktown Park on the York River. C & C's always welcomed!

DSC_3358-8-XL.jpg

DSC_3351-8-XL.jpg

DSC_3366-Edit-8-XL.jpg

DSC_3377-8-XL.jpg

DSC_3381-8-XL.jpg

DSC_3414-8-2-XL.jpg

DSC_3477-8-XL.jpg

Untitled_Panorama1-8-2-X2.jpg
"Photography is partly art and partly science. Really good photography adds discipline, sacrifice and a never ending pursuit of photographic excellence"...ziggy53

Comments

• Options
    StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2015
    I LOVE the last shot!
    Second last is fine too!
    The earlier shots......the bridge messed you up.....confusing the background....
    Excellent! Party on Wayne!!clap.gifivar
  • Options
    edited June 8, 2015
    Hey Taz, Thanks!
    Yeah, I agree with the bridge issue. Unfortunately they docked her practically under the bridge which is the George P. Coleman bridge connecting Yorktown with Gloucester, Va. All the other angles of view were pretty much just taking pictures of her stern with minimal profile.
    It was also rainy and cloudy the day she sailed up the York to dock so I didn't bother.
    The last shot is a panorama consisting of three separate shots "stitched" together with PS.
    "Photography is partly art and partly science. Really good photography adds discipline, sacrifice and a never ending pursuit of photographic excellence"...ziggy53

• Options
    edited June 8, 2015
    Hey Taz, Thanks!
    Yeah, I agree with the bridge issue. Unfortunately they docked her practically under the bridge which is the George P. Coleman bridge connecting Yorktown with Gloucester, Va. All the other angles of view were pretty much just taking pictures of her stern with minimal profile.
    It was also rainy and cloudy the day she sailed up the York to dock so I didn't bother.
    The last shot is a panorama consisting of three separate shots "stitched" together with PS.

Rainy and cloudy is good most of the time....especially if sun rays escape for just a bit....but even if gnarly dark clouds.....gots to go after those!
  • Options
    CornflakeCornflake Registered Users Posts: 3,346 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2015
    I agree about the last two shots. I can see why it was hard to find a good vantage point, but you did well.
  • Options
    edited June 9, 2015
    Cornflake wrote: »
    I agree about the last two shots. I can see why it was hard to find a good vantage point, but you did well.

Don, thanks for looking in and the kind comments! Means a great deal!!!

• Options
    edited June 9, 2015
    Taz, this is another shot of that same bridge (George P. Coleman) that I had taken back in the fall.

DSC_0232-8-2-XL.jpg

• Options
    edited June 9, 2015
    I am looking at it on my crap monitor at work and it is still a WOW!
    Gorgeous blue hour shot!!
    Something I learned from k-dog.....if you remove all kinds of filter.....and shoot with the lens only......the starbursts are cleaner and crisper....so not sure what was the case here.
    Cheers Wayne!!
  • Options
    edited June 10, 2015
    Taz, thanks again. I think I had a UV filter on. I'm pretty sure that was it as far as filters but I will keep in mind Kdog's advice.

Party on Taz! wings.gif

• Options
    bristleconebristlecone Registered Users Posts: 451 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2015
    I'm with Taz regarding the last shot..... very nice.
    -Len
  • Options
    edited June 11, 2015
    I'm with Taz regarding the last shot..... very nice.
    -Len

Len, thanks so much for checking in and your kind comment! The last shot was a last second thought as I was leaving the river "beach". I had been watching Photoshop CC videos on YouTube and decided to try the panorama option. I took three shots overlapping the edge of each shot by about 25% going from left to right...so if you divide the shot into thirds you'll have the three separate pics I took as i was leaving. After I loaded the three shots in the panorama merge option and then used "content aware" fill the picture you see pretty much appeared on the screen! I tweaked it a little with "curves" and that was about the extent of my efforts. Thanks again!

• Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2015
    Nice images! Great color and crispness!

When I saw #1 my first thought was "that has to be the busiest photo I have ever seen."

When I looked at # 5 I thought " why would anyone want a ticket to ship you couldn't see anything because of all the people?"

Sam
  • Options
    edited June 12, 2015
    Sam wrote: »
    Nice images! Great color and crispness!

When I saw #1 my first thought was "that has to be the busiest photo I have ever seen."

When I looked at # 5 I thought " why would anyone want a ticket to ship you couldn't see anything because of all the people?"

Sam

Sam, you're right about the crowd (and also about pic #1). People started lining up at 7 AM for tickets to board the ship. I think the gangplank opened at 9 AM. At first I was disappointed not to be able to get on board and take some perspective shots of the rigging etc. but when I saw the crowd (toe to toe) I figured that getting a descent picture would have been impossible. As Taz had commented earlier, the bridge in the background turned out to be a much bigger distraction in the photo than it appeared to be through the view finder but all I could see at the time was the ship and the rigging. They had a lot of things going on around the area both on the water and around the ship so getting a nice isolated shot was difficult (translated...impossible). Another issue was the fact that it didn't set sail until midnight so getting a shot as it left the dock from that distance was going to be difficult. Maybe a very high ISO and good moonlight would have produced better shots than what I got during the day.

I did see a picture in a local blog taken very early in the morning with the sails illuminated and lantern light showing through the port holes that was just breathtaking. I'm still kicking myself for not thinking of that! :bash

• Options
    chaddchadd Registered Users Posts: 80 Big grins
    edited June 12, 2015
    Hermione? Was the ship named in honor of Hermione Granger?
    The set is awesome by the way.
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2015
    Sam, you're right about the crowd (and also about pic #1). People started lining up at 7 AM for tickets to board the ship. I think the gangplank opened at 9 AM. At first I was disappointed not to be able to get on board and take some perspective shots of the rigging etc. but when I saw the crowd (toe to toe) I figured that getting a descent picture would have been impossible. As Taz had commented earlier, the bridge in the background turned out to be a much bigger distraction in the photo than it appeared to be through the view finder but all I could see at the time was the ship and the rigging. They had a lot of things going on around the area both on the water and around the ship so getting a nice isolated shot was difficult (translated...impossible). Another issue was the fact that it didn't set sail until midnight so getting a shot as it left the dock from that distance was going to be difficult. Maybe a very high ISO and good moonlight would have produced better shots than what I got during the day.

I did see a picture in a local blog taken very early in the morning with the sails illuminated and lantern light showing through the port holes that was just breathtaking. I'm still kicking myself for not thinking of that! :bash

Please note my comments were not intended to be criticisms. I have shot a fair number of events of all types and understand the difficulties. :D

We get what we can.

Sam
  • Options
    edited June 12, 2015
    Sam wrote: »
    Please note my comments were not intended to be criticisms. I have shot a fair number of events of all types and understand the difficulties. :D

We get what we can.

Sam

Sam, I appreciate criticism wherever I can get it here (I usually end up learning something ) but your comments were taken as observations on this end. You can critique my shots anytime! I think my response was more just sharing my regrets about not getting what I really wanted to get when I headed over to view the event.

Don't mind me when that starts happening! I really would like your thoughts on a lot more of my posts!

Thanks again.

• Options
    edited June 12, 2015
    chadd wrote: »
    Hermione? Was the ship named in honor of Hermione Granger?
    The set is awesome by the way.

Chadd, thanks for the kind review. Your opinion means a lot. The pronunciation is different but the spelling is the same as Miss Granger! :D

• Options
    CCoopCCoop Registered Users Posts: 511 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2015
    In addition to "the amazing last shot," I liked the zoom/crop shots of the rigging. Great lines and patterns, captures the feel of the ship. Nice! --CCoop
  • Options
    edited June 14, 2015
    CCoop wrote: »
    In addition to "the amazing last shot," I liked the zoom/crop shots of the rigging. Great lines and patterns, captures the feel of the ship. Nice! --CCoop

Carter, your comments and opinions are always much appreciated. Thanks for taking the time.