2) Old train rust:
IMGP6728-L.jpg

3) Art panel rust
IMGP7010-L.jpg

4) Four Panel Rust art
IMGP7012-L.jpg

Don
Don Ricklin - Gear: Canon EOS 5D Mark III, was Pentax K7
'I was older then, I'm younger than that now' ....
My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook

Comments

• StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
    edited August 15, 2014
    These are total WOWs in my book!clap.gifclapclap.gif
    #1, #3 and #4!
  • black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,319 Major grins
    edited August 15, 2014
    WHOA!! That is some seriously good stuff, Don. All of them. Man...I'd take that 3rd one, rotate it into a horizontal shot, print it out huge, and hang it with my collection. Seriously good stuff.clap.gif

Take care,

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
    edited August 16, 2014
    Never taken a picture of rust, but how are you guys getting these vivid colors? All the rust I have ever seen has had a single color - muddy brown.
  • David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,167 moderator
    edited August 16, 2014
    EDITORIAL:
    Its a good thing that no one here has done rust shots (like we have), cranked up the saturation to eleven or beyond (like we have), but then dared to do a full color reversal (like a color slide negative) because that would be so intense it could easily melt brain cells into oblivion. Anybody even contemplating that move should reconsider, for the optical health of us all. End editorial. Thank you.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
    edited August 16, 2014
    David_S85 wrote: »
    EDITORIAL:
    Its a good thing that no one here has done rust shots (like we have), cranked up the saturation to eleven or beyond (like we have), but then dared to do a full color reversal (like a color slide negative) because that would be so intense it could easily melt brain cells into oblivion. Anybody even contemplating that move should reconsider, for the optical health of us all. End editorial. Thank you.

Thanks David!thumb.gifbow
  • lifeinfocuslifeinfocus Registered Users Posts: 1,461 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2014
    Oh, where I can get some of that stuff! Beautiful

If I find some, I would edit colors in LR - hue, saturation and luminance. The number of combinations with an image like number 3 would be off the charts.

Phil
    http://www.PhilsImaging.com
    "You don't take a photograph, you make it." ~Ansel Adams
    Phil
  • black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,319 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2014
    Stumblebum wrote: »
    Never taken a picture of rust, but how are you guys getting these vivid colors? All the rust I have ever seen has had a single color - muddy brown.

Truth be told, Taz, we RUST JUNKIES play a game.....I'll call the game " Flying Sliders ". If you play our game, the most important thing to remember is that there are NO RULES.

You start with a chosen image. Don't bother trying to end up with a preconceived outcome. When you start dancing with rust, you can never predict what the final image will look like. You start, in my case, wildly throwing the sliders around.....working with hues, saturation, color channels, etc., etc. Flog the contrast and sharpening controls unmercifully. Rip into any adjustment level you can think of. The more aggressive you are in your manipulations, the more brilliant are the secrets rust will begin to divulge. There are hidden colors and textures in rust that will only surface when you have excelled at playing the game.

Stop the process when you have an image that pleases you. The beauty is that you can attack the same starting image time and time again until happy with the results. As I said, there are no rules in this game. The more you play it, the more exciting it becomes.

Jump on board with us, Taz. With your vision and skills, you can be a real JUNKIE.

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • JuanoJuano Registered Users Posts: 4,878 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2014
    Truth be told, Taz, we RUST JUNKIES play a game.....I'll call the game " Flying Sliders ". If you play our game, the most important thing to remember is that there are NO RULES.

You start with a chosen image. Don't bother trying to end up with a preconceived outcome. When you start dancing with rust, you can never predict what the final image will look like. You start, in my case, wildly throwing the sliders around.....working with hues, saturation, color channels, etc., etc. Flog the contrast and sharpening controls unmercifully. Rip into any adjustment level you can think of. The more aggressive you are in your manipulations, the more brilliant are the secrets rust will begin to divulge. There are hidden colors and textures in rust that will only surface when you have excelled at playing the game.

Stop the process when you have an image that pleases you. The beauty is that you can attack the same starting image time and time again until happy with the results. As I said, there are no rules in this game. The more you play it, the more exciting it becomes.

Jump on board with us, Taz. With your vision and skills, you can be a real JUNKIE.

Tom

Taken from the official guide to become a rust junkie!

Great shots in this series.
    edited August 16, 2014

Tom

Thank Tom! Sounds like great fun!! No rules are the best rules! Cheers!
  • DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2014
    Stumblebum wrote: »
    These are total WOWs in my book!clap.gifclapclap.gif
    #1, #3 and #4!

Thanks, I aim to please, i the Rust Junkie vein! :D
    WHOA!! That is some seriously good stuff, Don. All of them. Man...I'd take that 3rd one, rotate it into a horizontal shot, print it out huge, and hang it with my collection. Seriously good stuff.clap.gif

Take care,

Tom
    Your welcome to buy a print through my Smugmug Gallery! thumb.gif:D

Oh, where I can get some of that stuff! Beautiful

If I find some, I would edit colors in LR - hue, saturation and luminance. The number of combinations with an image like number 3 would be off the charts.

Phil
    I sometimes do more than one riff on a image.

Thanks all!

Don
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
    edited August 16, 2014
    David_S85 wrote: »
    EDITORIAL:
    I have, in fact done just that once or twice. Inversion, that is.

I work solely in Lightroom for these.

Don
  • EaracheEarache Registered Users Posts: 3,533 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2014
    Wow, Wow, Wow, Don!!!
    Love the peek-through in #1!
    #3 and #4 are fantastic!!!
    IMO, you take the Rust-Crusted cake this go-round Don - nice work!!
    Eric ~ Smugmug
    edited August 21, 2014
    Earache wrote: »
    Wow, Wow, Wow, Don!!!
    Love the peek-through in #1!
    #3 and #4 are fantastic!!!
    IMO, you take the Rust-Crusted cake this go-round Don - nice work!!
    Eric,

Thanks for the kind words. Rustalicious shots are my specialty! :Dthumb.gif

Don