Colonial Parkway "Bike Day"

ThelensspotThelensspot Registered Users Posts: 2,041 Major grins
edited May 3, 2015 in Street and Documentary
Today was "Bike Day" on the Colonial Parkway between Jamestown and Williamsburg Va. The very popular route connecting the historic areas of Jamestown, Williamsburg and Yorktown was closed to all car traffic from Jamestown to Williamsburg today. As my wife and I are recently retired to this area we decided to pull the bikes out and join in the fun. This is a very scenic route along the James River here in tidewater Va.

DSC_2511-8-XL.jpg

Some really colorful outfits and bikes were participating.

DSC_2442-8-XL.jpg

DSC_2464-8-XL.jpg

DSC_2444-8-XL.jpg

DSC_2465-8-XL.jpg

A nice farm with llamas was on the route.

DSC_2456-8-XL.jpg

Of course they just watched.

DSC_2469-8-XL.jpg

My wife taking a break along the way on the James.

DSC_2460-8-XL.jpg

A nice rest area was provided along the route.

DSC_2484-8-XL.jpg

A very prepared cyclist.

DSC_2506-8-XL.jpg

A nice colorful group posing for someone.

DSC_2478-8-XL.jpg

This young lady had one of the more interesting cycles there.

DSC_2489-8-XL.jpg

Now THIS is a rest stop in my book!!!

DSC_2497-8-XL.jpg

These guys made Dad supply all the pulling power. Some really smart folks in my book!

DSC_2499-8-L.jpg

Oh!!!...thank goodness they thought of me.

DSC_2493-8-XL.jpg

My 1996 Jamis Aragon. Someday I'll get a kick stand!

DSC_2510-8-XL.jpg

And the wife (Cathy)...(the order of the pictures does not denote priorities!) :D

DSC_2502-8-XL.jpg
"Photography is partly art and partly science. Really good photography adds discipline, sacrifice and a never ending pursuit of photographic excellence"...ziggy53

Comments

• denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,220 moderator
    edited May 2, 2015
    What a great idea!

I enjoyed watching over your shoulder, love the cycling action shots.

--- Denise
  • ThelensspotThelensspot Registered Users Posts: 2,041 Major grins
    edited May 2, 2015
    What a great idea!

I enjoyed watching over your shoulder, love the cycling action shots.

--- Denise

Thanks Denise. It always helps me to have your feedback!

I'm wondering if this thread would be more appropriate in "Other Cool Shots" or "People" as it may not fit the genre which most others might expect in this forum. I would have no hard feelings if a moderator felt that move to be appropriate.
    "Photography is partly art and partly science. Really good photography adds discipline, sacrifice and a never ending pursuit of photographic excellence"...ziggy53

• David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,167 moderator
    edited May 2, 2015
    This is a great set of photos. Looks like a wonderful weather day too. When we drove that section of road last year we weren't on it long before we mentioned to each other what a great cycling road, route and scenery that would be.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • EaracheEarache Registered Users Posts: 3,533 Major grins
    edited May 3, 2015
    Looks like a really fun day Wayne... bikes and photography (my two favorite pastimes)...
    I'm riding in the morning - thanks for the inspiration!
    Beautiful shots, and the thread is just fine here.
    Eric ~ Smugmug
    edited May 3, 2015
    David_S85 wrote: »
    This is a great set of photos. Looks like a wonderful weather day too. When we drove that section of road last year we weren't on it long before we mentioned to each other what a great cycling road, route and scenery that would be.

David you are so right! On our first evening as residents here we rode bikes on the parkway and even with some car traffic it's a great experience!
    Earache wrote: »
    Looks like a really fun day Wayne... bikes and photography (my two favorite pastimes)...
    I'm riding in the morning - thanks for the inspiration!
    Beautiful shots, and the thread is just fine here.

Eric, I am a new believer in cycling! The shots are not that unique but it was a wonderful experience yesterday seeing all the smiles and people really having fun! It is a beautiful location.

• CavalierCavalier Registered Users Posts: 3,030 Major grins
    edited May 3, 2015
    Thanks for taking us on the ride with you, Wayne. Great action shots, people interest, and humor along the way. And a lovely shot of Cathy. thumb.gifclap
    edited May 3, 2015
    Cavalier wrote: »
    Thanks for taking us on the ride with you, Wayne. Great action shots, people interest, and humor along the way. And a lovely shot of Cathy. thumb.gifclap

Jo, thanks. Always much appreciated!
    And Cathy says hi!