5D3_3102-X2.jpg

5D3_3129-X2.jpg

5D3_3175-X2.jpg

5D3_3214-X2.jpg

5D3_3280-X2.jpg

5D3_3252-X2.jpg

Thanks for looking!
-Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.

Comments

• Options
    PhotogbikerPhotogbiker Registered Users Posts: 351 Major grins
    edited October 15, 2014
    All very good to great. I love #6 where you can make out Falmouth written on her forehead.

Great weather (i.e. sun) usually means harsh shadows but you balanced it just right such as the goalie's face in 3 and 4. Always the hardest part for me.

Nice....
  • Options
    jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    edited October 15, 2014
    Thanks! Although I think you were referring to #10? A good exposure and Lightroom deal with direct sun nicely. I actually prefer direct sun for sports. It's more dramatic and more colorful.
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • Options
    T. BombadilT. Bombadil Registered Users Posts: 286 Major grins
    edited October 15, 2014
    Nice weather this weekend!

These are great!

Lots of determination apparent on such young faces.

You shoot Canon, yes? And, judging from excellent use of dynamic range, I'm guessing raw. Does Lightroom respect/remember/make-use-of camera white balance setting, and if so do you use Auto WB, Daylight?
    (Pretty sure LR has no knowledge of Nikon camera settings in a raw file. Aperture can't make use of them.)
    Bruce

Chooka chooka hoo la ley
    Looka looka koo la ley
  • Options
    lifeinfocuslifeinfocus Registered Users Posts: 1,461 Major grins
    edited October 15, 2014
    Great set. So many young players with excellent shooting form.

The concentration and shooting form on #2 and #10 is perfectly captured!

Phil
    http://www.PhilsImaging.com
    "You don't take a photograph, you make it." ~Ansel Adams
    Phil
  • Options
    lifeinfocuslifeinfocus Registered Users Posts: 1,461 Major grins
    edited October 15, 2014
    These are great!

Lots of determination apparent on such young faces.

You shoot Canon, yes? And, judging from excellent use of dynamic range, I'm guessing raw. Does Lightroom respect/remember/make-use-of camera white balance setting, and if so do you use Auto WB, Daylight?
    (Pretty sure LR has no knowledge of Nikon camera settings in a raw file. Aperture can't make use of them.)

Regarding LR and Nikon settings. From my view it does. Perhaps I am misunderstanding the comment.

Phil
    http://www.PhilsImaging.com
    "You don't take a photograph, you make it." ~Ansel Adams
    Phil
  • Options
    edited October 15, 2014
    Thanks all!

Canon, raw, LR, auto WB in-camera, which LR sees and uses. I'd be surprised if LR doesn't see/use it for Nikon. Maybe you have to do what I do, and that is choose the camera profile at the bottom of the right-side tool palette in the Develop module. I imagine if you leave it in the Adobe profile then it might not see/use the camera WB setting.

I really have no problem with Canon DR. I was shooting in manual and mistakenly grabbed this shot at f/5.6, 1/4000, ISO 200 when I should have been at f/2.8. It was very dark, would have been a throw away in jpeg. Boosted it two stops in LR, can you tell?
    -Jack

• Options
    junglejimjunglejim Registered Users Posts: 108 Major grins
    edited October 15, 2014
    I like the look of concentration on #10 the best!
  • Options
    edited October 20, 2014
    . . .
    Maybe you have to do what I do, and that is choose the camera profile at the bottom of the right-side tool palette in the Develop module. I imagine if you leave it in the Adobe profile then it might not see/use the camera WB setting.

I really have no problem with Canon DR. I was shooting in manual and mistakenly grabbed this shot at f/5.6, 1/4000, ISO 200 when I should have been at f/2.8. It was very dark, would have been a throw away in jpeg. Boosted it two stops in LR, can you tell?

Can not tell. Impressive DR.

I do not have LR, just Apple Aperture (which I love for its intuitive interface and the organization scheme).

Historically, the only software that could make direct use of Nikon camera settings (perhaps not all, WB may be readable) has been Nikon's Capture NX. Their software will do (would do, guess it has been gutted - does not exist in the same way) beautiful renditions of Nikon raw files (and by default will provide the JPG that the camera would have produced with settings currently set).

I think Nikon has an overly-protective view of what should be readable in the raw file (or maybe things are loosening up, which was why I was asking).
    Bruce

Chooka chooka hoo la ley
    Looka looka koo la ley
  • Options
    edited October 20, 2014
    If you don't have LR I'm not sure how you can say what LR can do with Nikon raw files.
    -Jack

• Options
    edited October 21, 2014
    If you don't have LR I'm not sure how you can say what LR can do with Nikon raw files.

I'm not saying what LR can do, I'm asking what LR can do.

The last time I downloaded a trial version of LR, it could not make full use of camera settings from Nikon raw files (the only raw files I had at the time). At that time, Capture NX 2 was the only software that made full use of in-camera settings (I blame Nikon for this). Capture NX had some nice features, but was in other ways undesirable.

I'm wondering if the LR situation has improved.
    Bruce

Chooka chooka hoo la ley
    Looka looka koo la ley