Still testing PBase linking...

Jerry CurtisJerry Curtis Registered Users Posts: 170 Major grins
edited April 7, 2005 in Dgrin Forum Support
Maybe this will work... copying URL from the address bar instead of the URL from the picture properties:
http://www.pbase.com/icicle50/image/37653766

I guess this is as good as it gets for now... you can't seem to link directly to the picture, and can't embed it. The only other way is to upload to this site, limited to one picture per post...
-Jerry

Whether you think that you can or that you can't, you are usually right.
- Henry Ford

www.pbase.com/icicle50

Comments

• Jerry CurtisJerry Curtis Registered Users Posts: 170 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2005
    Oops....
    should have posted this in "Theory, techniques, how to"?

Can't delete or move...
    Mod, feel free to move or delete...
    -Jerry

- Henry Ford

www.pbase.com/icicle50
  • Jekyll & HydeJekyll & Hyde Registered Users Posts: 170 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2005
    J: Jerry, you almost got it.

H: All you have to do now is add a .jpg to the end of your url, and the picture will show.
    J&H
    edited April 4, 2005
    Hmmm really? Let's give it a go ;-)
    http://www.pbase.com/icicle50/image/37653766.jpg

By jove, you're right! Still can't embed them, but this is still an improvement!

Thanks, J&H
    -Jerry

- Henry Ford

www.pbase.com/icicle50
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2005

By jove, you're right! Still can't embed them, but this is still an improvement!

Thanks, J&H

pbase gives us trouble linking, i dunno why. you have to embed filename.jpg inbetween [img*] and [/img*] (without the *)

reply to this post and you'll see what i mean.

37653766.jpg

i'm moving this to "dgrin support"
    edited April 4, 2005
    Thanks, Andy...
    so it takes some html code to embed the image. Trying again with another image:
    37810536.jpg
    -Jerry

- Henry Ford

www.pbase.com/icicle50
    edited April 4, 2005
    Whew, finally!
    so it takes some html code to embed the image. Trying again with another image:
    Did I miss this instruction somewhere?
    -Jerry

- Henry Ford

www.pbase.com/icicle50
    edited April 4, 2005
    Did I miss this instruction somewhere?

yeah it's the first post, sticky, in this forum

but, pbase does not always allow direct linking. dunno why, and baldy's supposed to be checking on it....
    edited April 4, 2005
    Dgrin link box...
    That dgrin box to add links seems very cumbersome, Andy. Seems way easier to type the "IMG" html code and paste the URL for the file manually right in the message box...
    -Jerry

- Henry Ford

www.pbase.com/icicle50
    edited April 4, 2005
    That dgrin box to add links seems very cumbersome, Andy. Seems way easier to type the "IMG" html code and paste the URL for the file manually right in the message box...

that's what i do :D

it's just easier for me...and you, too i guess!
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,694 moderator
    edited April 4, 2005
    andy wrote:
    that's what i do :D

it's just easier for me...and you, too i guess!
    Me too.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
    edited April 5, 2005
    One last point...
    the last image I posted disappeared upon screen refresh just as did the ones I posted by inserting the URLs into the link box.

What seems to be the answer is to get the URL from the address bar when the photo is open in PBase (rather than from the "properties" box as we do for dpreview posts), and add the .jpg extension. Then flank the whole URL with the [img*][/img*] html code (without the * of course).
    -Jerry

- Henry Ford

www.pbase.com/icicle50
  • BaldyBaldy Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 2,853 moderator
    edited April 5, 2005
    So I'm not completely clear... Is linking working from PBase now or do I need to contact them to see if they're blocking us?
    edited April 5, 2005
    Hi Baldy...
    Yes, it seems the embedding of an image by linking to an image on PBase can be done if you do it in a particular way. Both sunrise images on the previous page were so done - the first by Andy and the other by me. Originally, I had used the URL from the "properties" box on an open PBase image - which seemed to work at first, but on screen refresh, all that remained was a little red x in the upper left corner.

But... then I used the URL from the address bar of the open image in PBase, instead, which doesn't contain a .jpg extension, so I added one (as suggested by another poster here) and also added the [img*][/img*] code and, behold, it's still there.

Hopefully that's the answer.

This is sorta weird, though, because in the dpreview forum, all you have to do is take the URL from the properties box of the open image (after right clicking on the image), and drop it into the message area and the image is imbedded.

Here's another done as above to test:
    41198476.jpg

And the same image inserted the same way, but with the URL from the "properties" box:

41198476.Moon0025X7.jpg
    -Jerry

- Henry Ford

www.pbase.com/icicle50
    edited April 5, 2005
    another cautionary note...
    It seems if I first paste the URL and then go back and insert the first [img*], it doesn't work.... the first [img*] needs to be typed into the message and the URL pasted in afterward - then the .jpg - then the trailing [/img*] (without the asterisks, of course).

Doesn't make a lot of sense, but seems to be the case...

P.S. I just double tested it again and the above is true. You *must* type in that leading [img*] code before dropping in the URL.
    -Jerry

- Henry Ford

www.pbase.com/icicle50
    edited April 5, 2005
    Baldy wrote:
    So I'm not completely clear... Is linking working from PBase now or do I need to contact them to see if they're blocking us?

it's not working consistently, chris - please do give slug an email and see "what up!"
  • devbobodevbobo Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,339 SmugMug Employee
    edited April 5, 2005
    andy wrote:
    it's not working consistently, chris - please do give slug an email and see "what up!"
    I really don't think it's a case of being blocked, the URL are looked at for the two photos, they are dramatically different...

http://i2.pbase.com/u34/icicle50/large/41198476.Moon0025X7.jpg

http://www.pbase.com/icicle50/image/41198476.jpg

This first one (the one that didn't work), it doesn't even work in the browser if u load it directly (well it didn't initially, seems to work now)

The other thing I found with Pbase was that even though it references a certain server 'i2', the image may not always reside there (or that server may not be online) and it's best to avoid using it and replace it with 'image' instead..

http://image.pbase.com/u34/icicle50/large/41198476.Moon0025X7.jpg

41198476.Moon0025X7.jpg

Cheers,

David
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
    edited April 5, 2005
    Somethings a bit crook at PBase I think, this url was working 10 minutes ago....

http://image.pbase.com/u34/icicle50....Moon0025X7.jpg

then i got....

Forbidden

one minute later, it's working again ne_nau.gif
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
    edited April 5, 2005
    Take my word for it...
    I tried almost every combination, but the one I described in my last post works consistently. Why the other methods don't work... whether it be a PBase glitch or a glitch with this site, I don't know, and I don't know diddly squat about html or java script.

But if you do this: Type in the [img*] without the asterisk, then paste in the url that appears in the address bar of the open image page in Pbase - e.g. http://www.pbase.com/icicle50/image/32749030, then add the .JPG and the trailing [/img*] (without the asterisk), it works!

32749030.jpg

If it works, don't knock it mwink.gif
    -Jerry

- Henry Ford

www.pbase.com/icicle50
  • SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited April 5, 2005
    devbobo wrote:
    Somethings a bit crook at PBase I think, this url was working 10 minutes ago....

http://image.pbase.com/u34/icicle50....Moon0025X7.jpg

then i got....

Forbidden

one minute later, it's working again ne_nau.gif
    baldy wrote:
    Here is why you are having sooo much trouble dlinking to pbase.

Pbase links and direct links should ALWAYS be formulated like this:
    http://www.pbase.com/username/imagenumber.jpg
    or depending on the size:
    http://www.pbase.com/username/imagesize/imagenumber.jpg

You also have to use the proper img tags in when posting to forums.

Anything else will eventually break or be spotty. Pbase faq explains this under linking and this question has been asked and answered many times in pbase forums.

http://www.pbase.com/help/linking

Good day.

-don
    edited April 5, 2005
    andy wrote:
    yeah it's the first post, sticky, in this forum

but, pbase does not always allow direct linking. dunno why, and baldy's supposed to be checking on it....
    Pbase always allows direct links to images in public galleries. Slug turns dlinks off on an account by account request basis, and this is very rare because it disables all links in all galleries at all times. For the past year most people could not even get an email answered at pbase so even putting in a request to turn off dlinking would have been tough for people. The only way slug uses to disable direct links is to disable dlinks to the entire users account. So if a dlink is not working it is probably because you have not used the correct url or appended the .jpg to the end of the image number.

BUT, for the last 5 months some correct pbase direct links have been broken a large portion of the time due to disc failure and an isp move. You will find hundreds of disgruntled posters in the pbase forums during this time. Before this pbase was stable and it seems to becoming that way again as sluggo works out the bugs after the failures and isp move.

Good Day

-don
  • Jekyll & HydeJekyll & Hyde Registered Users Posts: 170 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2005
    J: Jerry, keep experimenting with linking.

H: I'm enjoying your sunsets! clap.gif
    J&H
    edited April 5, 2005
    J: Jerry, keep experimenting with linking.

H: I'm enjoying your sunsets! clap.gif
    J&H
    The sunset is good but there is no more reason to be experimenting with pbase direct linking protocol. I just posted why your links to pbase do not work consistantly, and the proper procedure to make them work. Believe me, with almost 8,ooo,ooo pbase image views I know what I am talking about on this one. That's almost as much traffic as Howard Dean gets, lol. 1drink.gif

Happy shooting.

-don
    edited April 5, 2005
    minoltaman wrote:
    The sunset is good but there is no more reason to be experimenting with pbase direct linking protocol. I just posted why your links do not work and the proper procedure to make them work. Believe me, with almost 8,ooo,ooo pbase image views I know what I am talking about on this one. That's almost as much traffic as Howard Dean. 1drink.gif

Happy shooting.

-don

my my my that's a lot of page views, minoltaman. rolleyes1.gif but you still haven't given us the correct answer, we are not dolts here - we do know how to link an image from pbase. i'm a pbase account owner, can direct link pbase images on any other forum except this one.

it's not user error here minoltaman....
    edited April 5, 2005
    andy wrote:
    my my my that's a lot of page views, minoltaman. but you still haven't given us the correct answer, we are not dolts here - we do know how to link an image from pbase. i'm a pbase account owner, can direct link pbase images on any other forum except this one.

it's not user error here minoltaman....
    Excuse me, I not only gave you the CORRECT ANSWER I linked pbase faq for you.

You guys were using all kinds of non-fixed url's! That is INCORRECT.

I bet I can link pbase images here all night long any day or night using the proper pbase urls...

awaiting reply

-don
    edited April 5, 2005
    testing...this link is good as gold unless pbase actually has a hard disk
    fail or other catostrophic occurence or I take the image down...
    39144534.jpg

-don
    edited April 5, 2005
    minoltaman wrote:
    testing...this link is good as gold unless pbase actually has a hard disk
    fail or other catostrophic occurence or I take the image down...

-don

dunno minoltaman, lots of people have been having trouble with the very method you are describing.
    edited April 5, 2005
    andy wrote:
    dunno minoltaman, lots of people have been having trouble with the very method you are describing.
    Pbase had many discs fail and got hit with a db problem at the same time a few months back. The servers were also being taxed to the limit by a guy getting 400,000 views a day in his tsunmai gallery at the same time the hardware and db problems hit. Then slug decided it was a perfect time to chang isp's which is NO small undertaking as they physically moved equipment from one isp to the other. Restoring backups was a long process with 10's of millions of images and thumbs. Some dlinks never got fixed. Pbase uses seperate servers for dlink images (sorta transparently, I guess) and the whole process is sorta messy with it's redundancy. Almost everyone, everywhere, has had pbase dlink problems of some kind the last 5 months. Much of the time a dlink image was there one minute and gone the next. Sorta like a long slow blinking image. mwink.gif These problems are directly attributed to pbase hardware or system failures and the very long time it has taken them to get things back to completely stable.

If you link the images using the proper url's your links will always work unless pbase is partially broken, which has happend frequently these last two quarters. When pbase has had troubles with a couple specific servers, some of your dlinks worked and others did not because the images are actually stored on different servers.

Hope that clears things up.

-don
    edited April 6, 2005
    minoltaman,

here's an interesting experiment...

34733449.jpg

34733449.DSC03424.jpg

The first uses the 'correct' method, you second one uses the naughty method. Hmmm... could it be that Pbase tells you to use the first method, because the second method breaks some sort of image protection ??

David
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
    edited April 6, 2005
    devbobo wrote:
    minoltaman,

here's an interesting experiment...

34733449.jpg

34733449.DSC03424.jpg

The first uses the 'correct' method, you second one uses the naughty method. Hmmm... could it be that Pbase tells you to use the first method, because the second method breaks some sort of image protection ??

David
    Nope, the second method is not naughty it is just that your image is not always located there. It has worked that way long before password protected galleries were added. Pbase has no other image protection other than "hidden" galleries and images. If you know what you are doing you can add a simple java script to disable ie right click, but that is it.

The problem with the second one where you use this: image.pbase.com/u39

you can consider just a temporary link. Pbase only maintains permanent links when you use pbase/user/picnum.jpg or depending on the size pbase/user/picsize/picnum.jpg.

Your images are placed on many servers at pbase and depending on what is going on at pbase those "secondary" urls do not work or will stop working. Pbase is setup so no links ever break if you use the proper dlinking url.

-don
    edited April 6, 2005
    minoltaman wrote:
    If you know what you are doing you can add a simple java script to disable ie right click, but that is it.
    Don,

Just a word of warning with this...sure it's easy to add, but it can be disabled in matter of seconds.

Cheers,

David
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos