Options

Remove search page from my site?

YoPawnYoPawn Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
edited September 2, 2015 in SmugMug Support
Hi there,

I was curious if anyone would possibly have a solution to a problem I am having.

If I type /search after my website URL, it brings me to a search page. From there anyone visiting my website can search through the images in all of my galleries. I have galleries that are not public and not linked in my website. People now have access to all of the images through the search bar as a backdoor around some security.

Is there any way to actually remove the search page or remove the search bar on the search page?

Thanks for any help you might have. :D

-YoPawn

Comments

• Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,011 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2015
    You can't keep them from going to the search page. But you can probably hide the search box using CSS.
    Also add a text or html box with words saying something like "Search is disabled on this site".

.sm-page-search .sm-search {display:none}

Just tried this and seems to work.

Will remove this shortly.
    http://mobirds.smugmug.com/search
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    pilotdavepilotdave Registered Users Posts: 785 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2015
    YoPawn wrote: »
    I have galleries that are not public and not linked in my website. People now have access to all of the images through the search bar as a backdoor around some security.

Log out of your site and try searching again. Those non-public results should only come up for you when you're logged in. Visitors won't have access to any of that. If private/unlisted results still appear when you're logged out, then you can panic.

Dave
  • Options
    edited September 1, 2015
    Allen wrote: »
    You can't keep them from going to the search page. But you can probably hide the search box using CSS.
    Also add a text or html box with words saying something like "Search is disabled on this site".

.sm-page-search .sm-search {display:none}

Just tried this and seems to work.

Will remove this shortly.
    http://mobirds.smugmug.com/search

That worked perfectly. Thanks a lot, Allen. I really appreciate your help!
  • Options
    edited September 1, 2015
    That worked perfectly. Thanks a lot, Allen. I really appreciate your help!
    As Dave said, any photos in unlisted or passworded galleries will not show in search results (logged off). So if that is
    all you're trying to hide, the search page change is not necessary. But anyone entering a password for
    a protected gallery will be able to search in those galleries. Same with keywords, they are hidden
    from PW'ed galleries until the gallery PW is entered. One big advantage to this is if there are many family
    galleries behind one PW, the /keyword page will now show the family KW's after the PW is entered.
  • Options
    edited September 2, 2015
    I have a bunch of galleries that are open to friends and family to share and view photos. They are not password locked but also not linked anywhere on my website. I would like to have some soft level of privacy for those images without having to password lock them. The search feature would allow anyone to find files on my website. Yes, I am just being a little paranoid. ne_nau.gif:D

I also want to keep my website site files gallery from being searchable. When I set it to private, some of the images in my website pages go missing.

In the end, I don't need any search function on my website, so I am happy with just removing it all together.

Thanks again for the help!
  • Options
    pilotdavepilotdave Registered Users Posts: 785 Major grins
    edited September 2, 2015
    The search feature would allow anyone to find files on my website. Yes, I am just being a little paranoid. ne_nau.gif:D

Really, try it. Unlisted galleries aren't searchable unless you're logged in. Unless you've discovered a massive security flaw. But luckily you didn't. Hiding the search box with css might make you feel better, but that's doing nothing for your site's security. Making sure your private and unlisted galleries can't be found by searching should make you feel much better.

Dave
  • Options
    edited September 2, 2015
    Don't use "Private", only you logged in and no one else can see into those galleries. Only unlisted with a direct link or
    a password on passworded galleries will keep others out.

Unlisted would not be good if you have many. You'd have to provide a link for every one of them.

Turning off Web Searchable and SmugMug Searchable in gallery settings will also help.
  • Options
    edited September 2, 2015
    I tried adding the search bar back in and trying it logged out on two different machines. I was not able to replicate the results I had yesterday. Yesterday, I made sure all of my unlinked galleries were set to unlisted. I was still able to search through them when logged out on two different machines. Maybe it takes the system a long time to remove galleries from the search?

Everything is all good on all fronts now. Thanks again.