Self Portrait with AB800 Strobe

michaelglennmichaelglenn Registered Users Posts: 442 Major grins
edited December 3, 2015 in People
I finally got way out of my comfort zone and tried out some studio lighting. I'm by no means an expert with strobes, but it's definitely fun learning what works and what doesn't. This was shot with an Alien Bee 800 strobe at 1/32 power, f/2.2, ISO 100. I didn't have a test subject so I used myself. I actually hate having my picture taken, but I captured a very natural moment for me here. It's not often I like an image of myself, but this one reminds me of how much I've conquered this year after having a really bad health scare this summer.

i-93BpX5q-XL.jpg
wedding portfolio michaelglennphoto.com
fashion portfolio michaelglennfashion.com

Comments

• SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited November 19, 2015
    OK since no one commented and you left the image up, here goes.

Right side of model a little hot. Poor crop on right sleeve, crop higher or lower. Face seems to have a lot of dirt on it. Axel grease is not beneficial to hair health. One ear much larger than the other. Wrinkled t-shirt. Eyes a little soft. Horrible colored background.

Other than that....great picture! :D

Sam
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2015
    I love seeing you finally attack artificial lighting Michael! As mentioned elsewhere, this is a nice Rembrandt setup - the triangle on your camera right cheek is there even though it's quite soft. And having met you in person, I know that is a very real and great expression from you!

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,765 moderator
    edited November 21, 2015
    Compared to my first attempts at studio lighting, this is genius!

Seriously, you are getting there and it's good to see a natural and relaxed 'you'.

If you only have the single studio strobe, do consider using reflectors and/or slaved battery powered flashes (speedlites/speedlights) for fill light, hair/rim light and background lighting. While there is some extra setup time involved with the extra equipment, the creativity options multiply. thumb.gif

Neil van Niekerk, "a simple lighting setup for home studio photography"
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited November 23, 2015
    I like the shot and exposure, ratio seems to be the rage today in the magazines so good job. From a traditional port background always turn the body a bit, for guys to the main light. Basic fact, it shows the personality of the person so great job.
  • michaelglennmichaelglenn Registered Users Posts: 442 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2015
    !
    Thank you everyone for the comments/critique! I'm still working out a few kinks, but here is a shot from today with two softboxes on each side of me.

i-Wr9MBCh-L.jpg
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited December 2, 2015
    Tres Hurley - looks good for even beauty light. If you pull forward of the background, you'll get some nice light falloff behind you which will give the shot a bit more depth. NOW stop staring straight to camera mugshot style - drop that chin, angle your head and give us that sparkling personality!!! :)
  • michaelglennmichaelglenn Registered Users Posts: 442 Major grins
    edited December 2, 2015
    divamum wrote: »
    Tres Hurley - looks good for even beauty light. If you pull forward of the background, you'll get some nice light falloff behind you which will give the shot a bit more depth. NOW stop staring straight to camera mugshot style - drop that chin, angle your head and give us that sparkling personality!!! :)

Thank you for the advice! I promise less mugshots in the future! This is more for the technical aspects of light. I'll post more once I start using real test subjects.

PS - My mom took this. rolleyes1.gif
  • LightsearcherLightsearcher Registered Users Posts: 202 Major grins
    edited December 3, 2015
    Nice portraits, I like the lighting and background on the second shot .

Marcelo
  • SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited December 3, 2015
    OK,

Warning....I'm on the grumpy side................

Stop mistreating this man. He is asking for advice to improve, so do it.

Micheal, The basic lighting is good. On my monitor your face is overexposed, and a little blotchy. What the H&^% is that brown skid mark down your nose?

Think I am being too harsh? I have a ton of far worse images I could post. OK I don't, only because I deleted them. :D

Keep going, your definitely on the right track!

Sam