Options

China and Hong Kong

rpcrowerpcrowe Registered Users Posts: 733 Major grins
edited June 23, 2010 in Street and Documentary
I love that you concentrated on people... That is what I tried to do during my April 2010 two week tour to Mainland China and Hong Kong. It was pretty difficult since the tour kept running from tourist site to tourist site.. Never stopping to see the very interesting activity on the street between the tourist "traps". Here is a shot of my group passing a yam vendor in Beijing, totally oblivious of the interesting scene they are passing and totally concentrated on following the guide with the little red flag. Speaking about "not smelling the flowers!"

869098951_fUb3x-L.jpg

And here's a shot of another yam vendor without the background of disinterested Americans...

869107340_BDbC7-L.jpg

I played hooky from the tour on my last day and spend it wandering around Shanghai. Best day of the tour!

850270973_xY8pK-L.jpg

I shot with a 17-55mm f/2.8 IS and a 70-200mm f/4L IS lens and carried 550EX and 270EX flashes, both with appropriate Joe Demb Flip-It diffuser reflectors. This combination (although a bit heavy since I was carrying a 30D and a 40D) were just great. However, I did have to boost the ISO up as high as ISO 800 on occasions.

I would love to return to China on my own and just enjoy shooting its people. Weren't they hospitable and friendly! I actually had a man who was shooting with a Canon 5D ask to take my picture while I was shooting a picture of him...

880363694_tsaUM-L.jpg

My shots are at http://rpcrowe.smugmug.com/ just scroll down the page for my China galleries.

Comments

• Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,912 moderator
    edited June 21, 2010
    I moved this to it's own thread so that both sets of pics would receive the attention they deserve.
  • Options
    bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2010
    Playing hooky and wandering got you your best capture, I think thumb.gif

Best day of your tour, indeed :D
  • Options
    rpcrowerpcrowe Registered Users Posts: 733 Major grins
    edited June 23, 2010
    People and sights...
    Some people come home from trips with a collection of photographs of inanimate objects, buildings, trees and other objects without life! I'd rather concentrate on people than on tourist sights. People are the heart of a country... buildings and edifices are only the shell...

1. Although I shot many images the "Eighth Wonder of the World"; the Chin Dynasty Terracotta Soldiers in Xi'an, I also enjoyed shooting these two generations burning incense at the Big Wild Goose Pagoda.
    865285291_oGvPN-L.jpg

2. The view from Victoria Peak is an Icon of Hong Kong but, I also enjoyed shooting this butcher.
    859065145_rTous-L.jpg

3. This noodle maker in a Xi'an restaurant is also part of local culture...
    865287627_LKjFN-L.jpg

4. As is this lacquer inlay artist from that same city...
    865286304_YUeyg-L.jpg

5. And, of course, no China trip would be complete without an image of an elderly street singer and his instrument...
    865293152_VpU3f-L.jpg