The "V" Sign

rpcrowerpcrowe Registered Users Posts: 733 Major grins
edited June 22, 2010 in Street and Documentary
All over China you will see people, especially young people flashing the "V" sign with their fingers when being photographed. I wonder if this might be a residual from the habit of Richard Nixon to flash that sign to photographers and crowds. The Chinese just adore Nixon because of his influence in opening China to the West which has culminated in a freer life and higher standard of living. I shot these images on smoggy afternoon in Shanghai, April 2010.

1. Beautiful gal posing in a park...
851117448_FQAj2-L.jpg

2. No drab Mao suits for these young Chinese...
848648474_Jja4Y-L.jpg

3. Double "V"...
880361446_7tSyL-L.jpg

4. Guy and his gal on the Bund... That's the city of Pudong across the river buried in the smog...
848714590_fiJe2-L.jpg

Comments

• HomerHomer Registered Users Posts: 48 Big grins
    edited June 22, 2010
    I find it interesting how unpopular presidents such as Nixon and LBJ are but how much of a positive effect they have around the world, to civil rights to lives of people on the other side of the world. Great photos.
  • bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2010
    I think #4 is a good one.

I always thought that that was a Vulcan greeting rolleyes1.gif
  • PixoulPixoul Registered Users Posts: 97 Big grins
    edited June 22, 2010
  • michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2010
    I'm doing a comprehensive survey including my work colleagues around the country and will report back to you once I have a definitive answer. I might even consider extending it to the full population. BUT! It might take me a while to poll all 1.3 billion, so don't expect an answer tomorrow. :Drolleyes1.gif

I have a standing bet with a couple of Malaysian friends where I try to get their picture without the V and them not noticing. It's amazing what you can turn into a drinking game. :slosh
  • adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2010
    Like your images!!!
    It does solve the issue of what to do with the hands while posing...mwink.gif
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site