The return... of hopefully a much better photographer.

Mercedes BenzMercedes Benz Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
edited May 12, 2015 in The Big Picture
I honestly don't know where to post what, where, since subtitles below threads have changed.

I just wanted to say hey to everyone.:D I used to be on here with a different username years ago, but I didn't like it and couldn't change it to save the world, and I was a lousy photography as well; and my few shots that was on my other username (except two) are missing, and I don't know why.

This new username that I've registered isn't 100% what I want, but I guess it's okay. Every time I tried to make one of the car I drive (Mercedes-Benz, without the dash), it said I could have it, that it wasn't in use by anyone, and when I registered it (repeatedly), it denied me each tme. So I gave up.

Anyway, I have a Canon EOS 30D. I don't know what year/month they first came out nor when mine was assembled and sent to stores, but I've had mine (second-hand) since 2008 and have had a whole lot of lousy shots, but I do have three or so that I like.

A neighbor bought one of them, an 8x10 from me for $10. I was told I could have gotten quite a bit more on Etsy and Pinterest, each, but who knows. I don't even know how to get either site started. lol

But do we still have to put our pictures on places like Flickr or Flickriver to be able to upload them on here, or has Dgrin set it to where we can upload pictures like you can do it on Facebook? I sure hope so. It would be far easier that way.

Anyway, I have a billion questions (minus 999,999,921) on how to put an end to me not having been able to move forward all these years so I can become a good photographer. I'm not expecting to be the best in the world nor the best in my state. I just wanna be really good.

I thank you all in advance.:D
Canon EOS 30D
Canon EF 28-135mm USM 3.5-5.6 IS
Gary Fong's Lightsphere II C3 (clear)
I don't have a Speedlite yet.

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,764 moderator
    edited April 19, 2015
    Start with the link below, in the "Posting Pictures" section.

[thread=18703]DGrin FAQS page[/thread]
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Mercedes BenzMercedes Benz Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
    edited April 19, 2015
    Thank you, Ziggy. It's the same way—having to create an account with some photo site, then copy the image link to embed in here. Besides SmugMug (until I can join it), which do you guys prefer for hosting images? I can't find anyone better than Flickr.
    Canon EOS 30D
  • puzzledpaulpuzzledpaul Registered Users Posts: 1,621 Major grins
    edited April 20, 2015
    ... which do you guys prefer for hosting images? I can't find anyone better than Flickr.

I've used photobucket for quite a while without any particular problems ... until the last time I wanted to upload some pics here ... and whilst it was probably me having a bad hair day / them changing stuff around, and me not being bothered to sort stuff out ... end result was that I used Dgrin's pic (manage) attachment facility.

Provided you stay within the specs of this, you can just upload direct from your HD. This is an easy route if you only want to have one pic / post ... which, imo ... is generally a 'plus point' :)

Whilst I also use Flickr, I could also dump my daubs in galleries within Yola itself, which seems to upgrade the range of options on a regular basis for freebie users (as myself).

There are many other free options available tho ... so it's not necessary to line someone's pockets with ££ / $$ unless there's a real need, imo.

pp
    edited April 20, 2015
    Well, I guess I'll use Flickr for now. I have to create a new account. I hate it though, that you have to create an account and log in using Yahoo. I don't like Yahoo because they insist on a phone number. I don't know why Flickr won't let people sign up using AOL, Gmail and MSN.
    Canon EOS 30D
  • MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited April 20, 2015

This new username that I've registered isn't 100% what I want, but I guess it's okay. Every time I tried to make one of the car I drive (Mercedes-Benz, without the dash), it said I could have it, that it wasn't in use by anyone, and when I registered it (repeatedly), it denied me each tme. So I gave up.

Why all the effort to make you username related to the car you drive? This is a photography site not some auto forum.
    edited April 20, 2015
    My apologies if I bothered anyone over my username. I'm not in here to talk about automobiles, just photography—although I've seen many threads with pictures of cars and such and quite a bit of talk about them. I like my car, but I won't be treating this place like an auto forum.

I just don't use my real name in anything I do or sign up for unless it is the law. I was only trying to get a cool and different name, that's all. Even the registration area said, "Pick a cool username like Schmoo, except that's taken." So I picked one and I got what I wanted. Again, I apologize if this bothered anyone.

Thank you.:D
    Canon EOS 30D
    edited April 21, 2015
    I'm assuming you've read info such as this re direct linking to images hosted on Flickr?

http://www.efrennolasco.com/how-to-get-direct-image-link-in-flickr-new-interface/

Btw, I'd still suggest that using the DGrin 'manage attachment' option for embedding a single image ... if your main aim is to upload an image for CnC purposes ... is a straightforward one and also one that - by definition - is readily available, as a DG member?

pp
  • Brett1000Brett1000 Registered Users Posts: 819 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2015
    Thank you, Ziggy. It's the same way—having to create an account with some photo site, then copy the image link to embed in here. Besides SmugMug (until I can join it), which do you guys prefer for hosting images? I can't find anyone better than Flickr.

Flickr is free and easy and probably the best hosting site unless you're charging clients or want a password section
  • NikonsandVstromsNikonsandVstroms Registered Users Posts: 990 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2015
    Mitchell wrote: »
    Why all the effort to make you username related to the car you drive? This is a photography site not some auto forum.

My user name on other photo forums is one of my old motorcycles. So I get you MB thumb.gif
  • gazoogazoo Registered Users Posts: 17 Big grins
    edited April 25, 2015
    Well, I guess I'll use Flickr for now. I have to create a new account. I hate it though, that you have to create an account and log in using Yahoo. I don't like Yahoo because they insist on a phone number. I don't know why Flickr won't let people sign up using AOL, Gmail and MSN.
    Brett1000 wrote: »
    Flickr is free and easy and probably the best hosting site unless you're charging clients or want a password section

BTW, if you don't want to give Flickr your own number, just get a number through Google Voice and use that.
  • lifeinfocuslifeinfocus Registered Users Posts: 1,461 Major grins
    edited April 25, 2015
    I honestly don't know where to post what, where, since subtitles below threads have changed.

Anyway, I have a billion questions (minus 999,999,921) on how to put an end to me not having been able to move forward all these years so I can become a good photographer. I'm not expecting to be the best in the world nor the best in my state. I just wanna be really good.

I thank you all in advance.:D

If you are not a member of a local camera club, start there. Then take at least photo every day. Look at the photos on dgrin and the critiques. Also check 1x.com.

Phil
    http://www.PhilsImaging.com
    "You don't take a photograph, you make it." ~Ansel Adams
    Phil
    edited April 25, 2015
    If you are not a member of a local camera club, start there. ...

Sounds ok ... but only if you're a 'club' sort of person, I'd have thought?

pp
    edited April 25, 2015
    If you are not a member of a local camera club, start there. ...
    Sounds ok ... but only if you're a 'club' sort of person, I'd have thought?

pp

Most of the folks at the local camera club come and go. Regular and frequent club members are in the minority, unfortunately.

Regardless, a local camera club and local junior college can be valuable resources of people and knowledge.

Personal growth in photography definitely takes individual effort and a "passion" for the science and the art of photography. thumb.gif
    ziggy53
  • MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2015
    It's been a week. How about posting some photos already?
    edited April 28, 2015
    I moved this thread because it simply doesn't belong in the Cameras forum. This forum seems the best fit.
    ziggy53
    edited May 6, 2015
    Sorry, but I couldn't post any pictures because Flickr isn't letting me post the few I had from the past.

Two, I've been busy, and third, I dropped my camera Sunday from tripping over a bush stump.

I had a firm grip on it, but the strap got hung on a branch while I was trying to maintain my balance and yanked it from my hand. I'm so not happy about it.

The camera is a dinosaur anyway and now I need to find another enthusiasts-level model and of course newer than '06.
    Canon EOS 30D
    edited May 12, 2015
    Sorry, but I couldn't post any pictures because Flickr isn't letting me post the few I had from the past.

Don't understand this, since I'd have thought all you have to do is put a link to your photostream page, here on dgrin?

Yes, it'll display all the pics (unless private),rather than individuals - but it's a start, surely?

Certainly works for me / my pics.

pp