HELP! Umbrella/ flash / pocketwizard

levelsixtysevenlevelsixtyseven Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
edited March 30, 2011 in Accessories
I'm a Nikon user and shooing with a D90. I just bought a basic set of umbrellas and can't fiddle with it because I don't have a pocketwizard yet. (I don't want to deal with cords) I know B&H photos has some pocketwizards but there's so much different kinds of pocketwizards I get easily confused. Can someone help me find the right pocketwizard to use?

Also I have one external flash for my D90, an SB600. Will all Nikon flashes work on an umbrella? Sorry I'm a newb at these things.

Comments

• angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited March 27, 2011
    I'm a Nikon user and shooing with a D90. I just bought a basic set of umbrellas and can't fiddle with it because I don't have a pocketwizard yet. (I don't want to deal with cords) I know B&H photos has some pocketwizards but there's so much different kinds of pocketwizards I get easily confused. Can someone help me find the right pocketwizard to use?

Also I have one external flash for my D90, an SB600. Will all Nikon flashes work on an umbrella? Sorry I'm a newb at these things.

You need two things.

1. To open that lovely well written manual: D90 & SB600 too.

2. And see how wonderful Commander mode is. Pocket wizards not needed!

Just curious, what happens when you get to levelsixtyeight?:D
    tom wise
  • levelsixtysevenlevelsixtyseven Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    edited March 27, 2011
    Commander mode? Elaboration?? Or should I just google this..

Aha, 67 is the highest level! No 68 no 69. There's a hidden meaning but none that I will tell.
  • BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited March 27, 2011
    My hunch is that Tom is alluding to a method that you already have all the tools you need, you just have to configure them. There are many configuration choices that can be done, so looking at the manual will help you figure out what will work best for you.
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
  • sbi1sbi1 Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited March 27, 2011
    To be honest....not sure if the D90 will do Commander mode with the pop flash on the camera?? My D300 will do it....no Pocketwizards needs for off camera flash. I use my SB900 off camera all the time with the pop up "commanding" the activity of the OCF. Look it up in your manual. S/b in the Flash section of the manual.
  • Dan7312Dan7312 Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited March 27, 2011
    Try the commander on your camera. If you are working in doors there well may be enough reflection from the walls to even shoot throught the umbrella.

If the opitical link doesn't work in your envirornment and you need the iTTL then the PocketWizard mini/flex are the ones you want. You will want the AC3 controller too, if you go the PW route.

But don't give up on cords! You can probably get by with a single cord to just one of your flashes set up as a master. See http://ocfgear.com for cords and info on how to get a lot of milage out of them.

• divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited March 27, 2011
    +1 Angevin!

1. Read the camera manual and learn how to use the built-in trigger (assuming the d90 has one - I'm not a Nikon shooter but Tom is, so I'll assume he's right thumb.gif) And yup, as Nikon-owner, you probably do need to google allll about the Nikon built-in Creative Lighting System, which is one of their big sales pitches over Canon, so there's lots about it out there. You've already got what you need to get started!

2. If you haven't already done so, get to www.strobist.com and read all the info in Lighting 101 - it may not be immediately relevant, but the principles will answer a lot of questions before you even know to ask them. Fabulous stuff thumb.gif
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,762 moderator
    edited March 27, 2011
    Here is a rather nice tutorial from Nikon on which cameras have a built-in commander mode and how it is set up:

http://support.nikonusa.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/11938/~/how-to-use-the-built-in-speedlight-in-commander-mode-to-control-remote

I believe you would use a similar technique using the PocketWizard MiniTT1 Transmitter and FlexTT5 Transceiver, so it would be good to learn the Nikon wireless first.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
    edited March 27, 2011
    divamum wrote: »
    +1 Angevin!

1. Read the camera manual and learn how to use the built-in trigger (assuming the d90 has one - I'm not a Nikon shooter but Tom is, so I'll assume he's right thumb.gif) And yup, as Nikon-owner, you probably do need to google allll about the Nikon built-in Creative Lighting System, which is one of their big sales pitches over Canon, so there's lots about it out there. You've already got what you need to get started!

2. If you haven't already done so, get to www.strobist.com and read all the info in Lighting 101 - it may not be immediately relevant, but the principles will answer a lot of questions before you even know to ask them. Fabulous stuff thumb.gif

D90 of course has a Commander mode and both those manuals I suggested to read are really full of all of the nifty data that we may forget to tell you about. You must, must read. asking is just fine, but without reading and shooting you are really wasting yours and my time.

I have had better luck with Nikon's on camera control ( called commander) than Canon folks have had with theirs. So forgo other purchases until you find the limitations that the commander mode will surely have.
    tom wise
  • levelsixtysevenlevelsixtyseven Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    edited March 27, 2011
    thanks a ton angevin1. I read up on commander mode and also read some tutorials online. I thought it would work wirelessly however it won't work!

I have no clue what i'm doing wrong.
    For my flash I held Zoom and the - button for a few seconds.
    Changed the setting to ON by pushing mode
    Then pressed Zoom and the - button to see a new screen
    changed my channel to 3 and group B by Mode and + and -

Went to my D90 went to menu and got on Custom Setting Menu
    selected e
    then selected e2
    selected commander mode
    and put in Built in Flash Mode --- Comp. 1/32
    Group A mode M Comp 1/8
    Group B mode TTL Comp +1.0
    Channel 3

Held up my flash clicked my camera to see if it would work but didn't fire off a flash. Am I on the wrong track?
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited March 27, 2011
    CLS is wireless ..... wireless TTL .....Wire Less Manual....... it is just a matter of learning to use it...... personally I am older school and can work better with flashes and all in manual with a simple $20 16 channel RF (radio Frequency) wireless flash triggers and a flash meter.......

1- turn camera on

2- Press Menu button on back of camera

3- go to csm e2

4- choose commandeer mode

5- Press multiselector to the right to Navagate between Built-in, Group A, Group B and Channel
    <<<<<<<< Built in --- (no ttl no comp) Group A (TTL no comp) Group B (ttl - no comp) Channel 1 >>>>

6- Press multi selector up and down to change values in mode and compensation boxes
    <<<<<< again - Group A - Mode = TTL Comp leave blank >>>>>>

7- press OK button

8- pop up the flash by pressing the flash button camera body

9- set shutter speed sync to normal or slow+rear
    <<<<<< Start with "normal" >>>>>>>>

10- Make sure Remote flashes are set to same channel and groups
    <<<<<<< Group A Channel 1 >>>>>

11- take picture....

The numbered instruction are straight out of The Nikon Creative Lighting Book by Mkie Hagen which you should get....
    The <<<< >>>>> are my suggestions for you to set camera and flash at to begin with

Good Luck.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

edited March 28, 2011
    thanks a ton angevin1. I read up on commander mode and also read some tutorials online. I thought it would work wirelessly however it won't work!

I have no clue what i'm doing wrong.
    For my flash I held Zoom and the - button for a few seconds.
    Changed the setting to ON by pushing mode
    Then pressed Zoom and the - button to see a new screen
    changed my channel to 3 and group B by Mode and + and -

Went to my D90 went to menu and got on Custom Setting Menu
    selected e
    then selected e2
    selected commander mode
    and put in Built in Flash Mode --- Comp. 1/32
    Group A mode M Comp 1/8
    Group B mode TTL Comp +1.0
    Channel 3

Held up my flash clicked my camera to see if it would work but didn't fire off a flash. Am I on the wrong track?

I am certain your trouble is momentary and you'll have it!

MAKE certain to hit the OK button after changin settings otherwise it will not take or change!
    tom wise
  • ZerodogZerodog Registered Users Posts: 1,480 Major grins
    edited March 30, 2011
    The flash needs to be set to receive the info from the camera. Make sure you are on the right channel and group. Also make sure the flash is set to remote. And yes you do need to open your pop up flash on your camera. The pop up can be turned off in your commander menu. It will fire but not effect your shot or be seen in the image. It is a preflash.