the dgrin suggestion box

Comments

• StevenVStevenV Registered Users Posts: 1,174 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    Getting closer on this thumb.gif the headers are consistent. The dgrin.smgumug site will have different navbar. But the navbars on www.dgrin.com should become more consistent - I'm working on it!

egg-cellent, thanks muchly. I guess I'm unclear on the difference betwen www.dgrin.com and dgrin.smugmug.com from a user or technical perspective, but progress toward consistancy is a good thing. bravo
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2007
    StevenV wrote:
    egg-cellent, thanks muchly. I guess I'm unclear on the difference betwen www.dgrin.com and dgrin.smugmug.com from a user or technical perspective, but progress toward consistancy is a good thing. bravo

www.dgrin.com is a vbulletin-powered forum software.
    http://dgrin.smugmug.com is a SmugMug site

We are striving to make it easy to go back and forth easily.

Thanks!
  • RogersDARogersDA Registered Users Posts: 3,502 Major grins
    edited June 13, 2007
    Just a suggestion, but how about adding a separate forum for macro photography separate from Other Cool Shots?

Macro has become a large portion of the postings there and they tend to move non-macro shots off the front page rather quickly.
    edited June 15, 2007
    RogersDA wrote:
    Just a suggestion, but how about adding a separate forum for macro photography separate from Other Cool Shots?

Macro has become a large portion of the postings there and they tend to move non-macro shots off the front page rather quickly.

Bump - Yes? No? Never in a million years?
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited June 16, 2007
    RogersDA wrote:

I agree....concur....that's a yep me too thinks this way.....
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited June 16, 2007
    RogersDA wrote:
    Bump - Yes? No? Never in a million years?
    Hi, we see everything here - sometimes we may not answer each posting, but know this: I and every single mod on the team read this thread.

Thanks for the posting and suggestion!
  • christulkchristulk Registered Users Posts: 453 Major grins
    edited June 17, 2007
    Nav bar at the botom as well??
    Hello all who know how to do things.

Is there any chance of getting a nav bar (the one telling you which folder you are viewing: Digital Grin Photography Forum>Support>Dgrin etc) placed on the bottom of the screen as well? As ACDC famously said "it's a long way to the top if you want to change the forums" (I may be para-phrasing that a bit :D)

In this "I want in now" generation, scrolling back to the top just takes soooo long. mwink.gif

Thanks
    C&C always welcomed.

Cheers

Chris

http://christulk.smugmug.com

'alot' is two words "a_______lot":D
  • patch29patch29 Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,928 Major grins
    edited June 17, 2007
    christulk wrote:
    Hello all who know how to do things.

Is there any chance of getting a nav bar (the one telling you which folder you are viewing: Digital Grin Photography Forum>Support>Dgrin etc) placed on the bottom of the screen as well? As ACDC famously said "it's a long way to the top if you want to change the forums" (I may be para-phrasing that a bit :D)

In this "I want in now" generation, scrolling back to the top just takes soooo long. mwink.gif

Thanks

On the bottom right should be a "forum jump" dropdown menu which will show your current location and allow you to jump to any forum from the menu. It does not show on the homepage, just forum and thread pages.
  • christulkchristulk Registered Users Posts: 453 Major grins
    edited June 19, 2007
    patch29 wrote:
    On the bottom right should be a "forum jump" dropdown menu which will show your current location and allow you to jump to any forum from the menu. It does not show on the homepage, just forum and thread pages.

Hi Patch,

The jump forum button only takes to another forum, whereas the 'top nav bar' allows you to go back to the forum and pick and choose which posts you want to veiw - it gives you more control I think.

It's not a big deal, just a thought.

Thanks
    C&C always welcomed.

Cheers

Chris

http://christulk.smugmug.com

'alot' is two words "a_______lot":D
  • dbinazdbinaz Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
    edited July 15, 2007
    Can you turn on the option to show subforum links in the parent cats? I didn't even know there was any.

Derek
  • dbinazdbinaz Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
    edited July 15, 2007
    I would like to see the vb templates brought over to other parts of the site. The white on black just kills my eyes, especaily at night.

Derek
  • momof2boysmomof2boys Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited July 22, 2007
    a timely HP suggestion
    With the recent release of the "Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix" movie and the "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows" book, I suggest that you temporarily change the name of our favorite website to "SmugMuggle"!!

sms
    edited August 27, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    Hi, we see everything here - sometimes we may not answer each posting, but know this: I and every single mod on the team read this thread.

Thanks for the posting and suggestion!

clap.gif Thanks to the Smugmug team for doing this.
  • salazarsalazar Registered Users Posts: 392 Major grins
    edited September 28, 2007
    A suggestion. A standard dgrin web page always has three photos across the top, the left one is currently Dgrin Photo of the Year - 2006, the next The Dgrin Challenges Gallery of Winners, the next LPS Qualifier Finalists. If I hover my mouse over the first two nothing shows, the third will indicate the photo is from the "Last Photographer Standing". If you click on any of these photos you end up in the appropriate gallery containing the photo, but not at the photo shown. You can eventually find the photo by searching through the gallery (this can take quite a while), but I've often wondered if you could be directed straight to the actual photo instead, or be given some other information that would make finding it easier.

Or something like that...

Thank you.
    Please feel free to retouch and repost my images. Critique, Suggestions, and Technique tips always welcomed. Thanks for your interest.
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited September 28, 2007
    salazar wrote:
    A suggestion. A standard dgrin web page always has three photos across the top, the left one is currently Dgrin Photo of the Year - 2006, the next The Dgrin Challenges Gallery of Winners, the next LPS Qualifier Finalists. If I hover my mouse over the first two nothing shows, the third will indicate the photo is from the "Last Photographer Standing". If you click on any of these photos you end up in the appropriate gallery containing the photo, but not at the photo shown. You can eventually find the photo by searching through the gallery (this can take quite a while), but I've often wondered if you could be directed straight to the actual photo instead, or be given some other information that would make finding it easier.

Or something like that...

Thank you.

I dunno, but I'll find out!
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
    edited October 9, 2007
    DavidTO wrote:
    I dunno, but I'll find out!

I found out the answer to this one.

Unfortunately, it's no, it's not possible to do that.

Sorry! :D
    Moderator Emeritus
  • SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
    edited October 16, 2007
    Sorry if this is a double post. Didn't search this thread.

Please reference these two vbulletin forums for examples: (just these two since I frequent them)
    http://ubuntuforums.org/
    http://www.illustratortechniques.com/forum/

Just go into any thead. You'll see both multiquote and quick reply functionality.

Any way we can keep up w/ the jonses?

It's pretty easy for long time posters to quickly type
    auntjamima wrote:
    but it's not very user friendly where the average poster that visits here lives and breathes through a GUI. Obvious exceptions noted.

Also the seperation of the stickies on the Ubuntu forum is pretty sweet. I don't have to remember whether this is forum has 10 stickies from Andy or none. (no diss, Andy is just a sticky nut!)

Thanks for your time.

-Jon
  • 1pocket1pocket Registered Users Posts: 298 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2007
    A better option for 'street photography'
    Being a fan of street photography, I have been disappointed in lookiing for it in Dgrin. I know under the "Field & Street" category you include "Street Photography" in the subtitle, but no one seems to use that for street work. In fact, including street work with landscape photography seems to be a very odd combination, in my mind. Ansel Adams with Gary Winograd?? Nah, it just doesn't work! Obviously your members feel the same way, because I have found precious little street work under "Field & Street" -- it seems to get posted under "People".

Why not change the name of the "Field & Street" category to "Landscapes" with something like "Rural & Urban" in the subtitle. It is almost as if whoever laid out the categories way back when thought street photography was all about 'the streets' :D

Or maybe you could combine street photography with a new photojournalism category -- at least that would be a better fit than landscapes...

Thank you for listening. Hey, I promise I will post some of my own humble attempts at street work in such a category if you create it :D
    My humble gallery...
    www.steveboothphotography.com

Pool/Billiards specific...
    www.poolinaction.com
    edited October 24, 2007
    1pocket wrote:
    Being a fan of street photography, I have been disappointed in lookiing for it in Dgrin. I know under the "Field & Street" category you include "Street Photography" in the subtitle, but no one seems to use that for street work. In fact, including street work with landscape photography seems to be a very odd combination, in my mind. Ansel Adams with Gary Winograd?? Nah, it just doesn't work! Obviously your members feel the same way, because I have found precious little street work under "Field & Street" -- it seems to get posted under "People".

Why not change the name of the "Field & Street" category to "Landscapes" with something like "Rural & Urban" in the subtitle. It is almost as if whoever laid out the categories way back when thought street photography was all about 'the streets' :D

Or maybe you could combine street photography with a new photojournalism category -- at least that would be a better fit than landscapes...

Thank you for listening. Hey, I promise I will post some of my own humble attempts at street work in such a category if you create it :D
    What I meant to be proposing, but I seem to have left out the actual suggestion, is that there be a specific new category for "Street Photography" -- or maybe "Street and Photojournalism" combined, that is removed from the landscape work in the "Field & Street" category that you now have.
    My humble gallery...

www.poolinaction.com
  • DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited October 24, 2007
    1pocket wrote:
    What I meant to be proposing...
    Hey 1pocket, we hear you and we consider all suggestions nod.gif

Bear in mind, more is not always better and that's something we strive for here. Making a seperate forum won't encourage more "street" posting, nope, the only way to do that is to post more "street" first... the chicken, or the egg?
    lol3.gif

Looking forward to your posts thumb.gif
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

edited October 24, 2007
    DoctorIt wrote:
    Hey 1pocket, we hear you and we consider all suggestions nod.gif

Bear in mind, more is not always better and that's something we strive for here. Making a seperate forum won't encourage more "street" posting, nope, the only way to do that is to post more "street" first... the chicken, or the egg?
    lol3.gif

Looking forward to your posts thumb.gif
    Don't you think landscapes are an odd placement with street photos and photojournalism, or vice versa?
    My humble gallery...

www.poolinaction.com
  • sitsit Registered Users Posts: 87 Big grins
    edited November 2, 2007
    SloYerRoll wrote:
    Just go into any thead. You'll see both multiquote and quick reply functionality.

Any way we can keep up w/ the jonses?

If quick-reply lets you reply to a post without going to a new page (where the posts are viewed in reverse order), I'm all for it!

I've spent a few days trying out flickr (not for hosting, but just for their community/exploration features) and in contrast to vBulletin, their groups interface is blessedly sparse. There's always a reply box at the bottom of a thread (replies are fast and easy), the text of each reply is not very-wide (making it easy to scan), and only the most minimal of other information directly visible (just a tiny image of the poster, linkiing through to their profile, and the time the message was posted). Any streamlining of the UI to make the content more prominent would be a big draw for me: I browse on a 1024x768 screen...

Thanks!
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,893 moderator
    edited December 13, 2007
    Lately I have been hanging out on another vBulletin-based forum (NotebookReview.com) that has a cool feature which would be helpful on Dgrin. At the end of each post, there are links to similar posts. I don't know whether these links are generated automatically or are put there by moderators--an important question, I realize. NotebookReview is running a newer version of vBulletin (3.6.4), FWIW.

Edit: Hmmm...I just noticed that not all posts have the similar post section, which makes me think it must be created manually. Never mind.

Cheers,
  • AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,008 Major grins
    edited December 17, 2007
    New Stuff
    I there anyway to add the "what's going on" box to the bottom of the "new stuff" page?
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2008
    help?
    am i search ignorant? no need to answer that:D
    anytime i search it seems to not be helpful...

anyway, my main suggestion:

finishing room needs to be broken down.
    threads for LR, for Photoshop, etc...

i want to start a thread, so i try to search first (which ends up kinda so so)
    it would be nice to find topics specific...
    (like LR tutorials)(if there are any)
    Aaron Nelson
  • AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,008 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2008
    help?
    am i search ignorant? no need to answer that:D
    anytime i search it seems to not be helpful...

anyway, my main suggestion:

finishing room needs to be broken down.
    threads for LR, for Photoshop, etc...

i want to start a thread, so i try to search first (which ends up kinda so so)
    it would be nice to find topics specific...
    (like LR tutorials)(if there are any)
    This search seems to work better. Stick this in Google seach box.

site:www.dgrin.com word1 word2

or bookmark this link
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&c2coff=1&q=site%3Awww.dgrin.com&btnG=Search

Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • ShudderzShudderz Registered Users Posts: 346 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2008
    I know someone else has asked before and was told wait and see. I thought since we are about to get to the beginning of wedding season....has anyone reconsidered a wedding category separate from people? or even a sub-category of people? It might be nice to have a category on its own...

A place for people to post pictures...ask questions, etc. For now they seem to end up in the People thread...and yes they are people...but there are also questions being asked, advice being sought. I think wedding photography is such a big subset of this business that it deserves its own category.

One place to house it all would be great. A one stop resource.

Thanks!
    Heather
    www.heatherdunnphotography.com
    My Blog My Facebook Page
    GIVING BACK - How will you give?
    "I look at life outside of the lens and capture the world through it." -Thomas Robinson
  • DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited February 4, 2008
    Shudderz wrote:

One place to house it all would be great. A one stop resource.

Thanks!
    Hi Heather, we listen to all suggestions, definitely. Aside from any reasons we've given in the past, our most experienced wedding photographer (our good friend Shay Stephens) has been forced to take a leave of absence from Dgrin for personal reasons. If we were to do a wedding forum, we'd want to do it right.
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• ShudderzShudderz Registered Users Posts: 346 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2008
    Nilmdts
    I'm not sure if this is where this should go or not....I was wondering if there was a way that SmugMug and/or Dgrin could get involved, something they could offer, etc. with the Non Profit "Now I Lay Me Down To Sleep"?

Even a sticky on dgrin in "people" or somewhere else that would be appropriate that informs dgrin viewers about the service and how to volunteer?

Maybe a "Giving Back" sticky, with a place to list different charitable organizations that photographers can get involved with?

Just my .02
    Heather
    www.heatherdunnphotography.com
    My Blog My Facebook Page
    GIVING BACK - How will you give?
    "I look at life outside of the lens and capture the world through it." -Thomas Robinson
    edited March 7, 2008
    Shudderz wrote:
    I'm not sure if this is where this should go or not....I was wondering if there was a way that SmugMug and/or Dgrin could get involved, something they could offer, etc. with the Non Profit "Now I Lay Me Down To Sleep"?

Even a sticky on dgrin in "people" or somewhere else that would be appropriate that informs dgrin viewers about the service and how to volunteer?

Maybe a "Giving Back" sticky, with a place to list different charitable organizations that photographers can get involved with?

Just my .02

Heather, thanks for the suggestion. Give us some time to huddle on this one, eh?
    Moderator Emeritus