Need Help PLEASE

kdotaylorkdotaylor Registered Users Posts: 1,274 Major grins
edited November 5, 2015 in People
15August_untitled_059-2-X2.jpg

I took some photos this morning, and this is an example of what may of them look like. This was shot with a Nikon D90 with a Tamron 70-200mm 2.8 lens, shot at 70 mm. f/4 1/400 second ISO 400
Why is this blurry? Why is there a purple tint around the skin?
Kate
www.katetaylor.smugmug.com
"You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus." Mark Twain

Comments

• HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2015
    Almost looks like you might have used a flash with camera in auto mode. I see a slight extra image like they moved slightly when the flash fired and the camera tripped. Can't help any more than that. Wish I could help more and interested in what others might say.
  • kdotaylorkdotaylor Registered Users Posts: 1,274 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2015
    Hmmm, no flash...
    Kate
    "You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus." Mark Twain
  • MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2015
    Can you check were your focus point was located? Almost looks like you focused on the leaves just behind the couple and left them OOF.
    edited August 1, 2015
    Focus point was on her eyes...this is what a lot of the photos in this series look like! I'm so puzzled.
    Kate
  • HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2015
    If your using a raw converter program check to see if it has a focus mask in it. It will show you where your camera was focusing.
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,764 moderator
    edited August 1, 2015
    kdotaylor wrote: »
    Focus point was on her eyes...this is what a lot of the photos in this series look like! I'm so puzzled.

Prime focus is definitely and obviously on the foliage in the background. The AF points on most dSLRs are more nebulous than many believe. If you want much more precision for autofocus I'm afraid that only the very top tier cameras offer such, and, even then, it's not 100 percent accurate all of the time.

Live view and 100 percent enlargement also offers corroboration of AF accuracy, at the expense of the time it takes to set up the shot and then check with live view.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
    edited August 2, 2015
    ziggy53 wrote: »
    Prime focus is definitely and obviously on the foliage in the background. The AF points on most dSLRs are more nebulous than many believe. If you want much more precision for autofocus I'm afraid that only the very top tier cameras offer such, and, even then, it's not 100 percent accurate all of the time.

Live view and 100 percent enlargement also offers corroboration of AF accuracy, at the expense of the time it takes to set up the shot and then check with live view.

Yes, but Kate knows how to use her camera. Double check the focus point with Nikon View NX.

I'm not familiar with the D90, but have you recently changed any of your focus settings? Dynamic focus, shape of focus points, focus release? Are you shooting AF-s or AF-c?

I've always shot portraits with single focus point which I move to the desired area and AF-s mode.
    edited August 2, 2015
    Mitchell wrote: »
    Yes, but Kate knows how to use her camera. Double check the focus point with Nikon View NX.

I'm not familiar with the D90, but have you recently changed any of your focus settings? Dynamic focus, shape of focus points, focus release? Are you shooting AF-s or AF-c?

I've always shot portraits with single focus point which I move to the desired area and AF-s mode.

That may be it...I usually shoot with single focus point and move it where I want it, but it was set at AF-C, so focus may have moved?
    Kate
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,764 moderator
    edited August 2, 2015
    That may be it...I usually shoot with single focus point and move it where I want it, but it was set at AF-C, so focus may have moved?

Since the Nikon D90 has only a single cross-type AF point, a lot of folks use focus and recompose technique. In AF-C mode the AF is constantly resampling as you hold down the shutter button in either half-depress or full-depress. That AF mode plus focus-recompose almost certainly caused the problem, because the camera does not retain the original selected focus.

AF-S autofocus is the only mode I can recommend for portraiture, unless trying to capture fast-moving children in play and using a photojournalistic method of shooting (which is really a type of "action" photography.) Even then, be careful of focus-recompose as it can throw off AF accuracy:

Why Focus-Recompose Sucks, How A Commonly-Used AF Technique Causes Focus Errors
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • michaelglennmichaelglenn Registered Users Posts: 442 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2015
    It looks like you have some AF issues going on. Try taking some test shots outside to see if you're having the same problem with the lens. I ended up dropping one of my lenses and the focus looked very similar. After getting it serviced, they replaced a part and the focus was back to normal.

If you have other lenses, test it out as well. Easy way to see if it's truly the lens
    wedding portfolio michaelglennphoto.com
    fashion portfolio michaelglennfashion.com
    edited August 2, 2015
    Thanks, all. I will need to investigate further when I have time
    Kate
  • DKellyCDKellyC Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    edited August 2, 2015
    I agree with those that said the focus point is the plans behind the couple. On the D90, you should be able to view the images again and see exactly where the focal point is.

Best wishes
  • trooperstroopers Registered Users Posts: 317 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2015

That's the cause...AF mode must be set to AF-S when using focus/recompose method.

As for the purple fringing, that's CA. Use LR or PS to remove.
  • QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2015
    I agree with the missed focus..the purple halo is classic chromatic aberation or purple fringing. It looks very bad thought at f/4.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
    edited August 10, 2015
    Can someone explain this chromatic aberation/purple fringing? Here's another really bad one:
    15August_untitled_054-2-XL.jpg

This looks blue and blurry and awful! What am I doing wrong??
    Kate
  • jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2015
    This looks blue and blurry and awful! What am I doing wrong??

For one thing, honestly I wouldn't expect great consistency from a D90 and a budget lens.

In my experience, outer focus points are unreliable with lenses that are soft in the mid-frame to edge areas when wide open. AF happens with the lens wide open. Whenever I use a lens that I know is like this, like my 50/1.4, I just use center point and focus-recompose. I'm well aware of the theory against this, but with such lenses it works better in practice.

A shame, because these are some great captures. Surely you and your business are worth a used D700 and some proper lenses by now, yes? Primes are relatively cheap.
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
    edited August 16, 2015
    For one thing, honestly I wouldn't expect great consistency from a D90 and a budget lens.

In my experience, outer focus points are unreliable with lenses that are soft in the mid-frame to edge areas when wide open. AF happens with the lens wide open. Whenever I use a lens that I know is like this, like my 50/1.4, I just use center point and focus-recompose. I'm well aware of the theory against this, but with such lenses it works better in practice.

A shame, because these are some great captures. Surely you and your business are worth a used D700 and some proper lenses by now, yes? Primes are relatively cheap.
    Thank you, Jack. I took your advice and researched and bought a used D700 which came yesterday. The test shots of the dog look great! I can't wait to use it on people! I will post some photos after my shoot tomorrow eve.
    Kate
    edited August 17, 2015
    That is such a major upgrade. The D700 is my favorite body of all time
    D700, D600
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    edited August 17, 2015
    Thank you, Jack. I took your advice and researched and bought a used D700 which came yesterday. The test shots of the dog look great! I can't wait to use it on people! I will post some photos after my shoot tomorrow eve.

Wow! Glad to hear it. Looking forward to seeing the results.
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
    edited August 18, 2015
    Qarik wrote: »
    That is such a major upgrade. The D700 is my favorite body of all time

I agree. I still love using mine after all these years. Pretty impressive in this era of disposable SLR bodies.

I think a lightly used D700 is the best value out there today.
    edited November 4, 2015
    Best. Advice. Ever.
    I am LOVING this D700.
    Thank you!
    15October_untitled_132-L.jpg
    15October_untitled_017-L.jpg
    15October_untitled_028-L.jpg
    15October_untitled_026-L.jpg
    15September_untitled_013-22-L.jpg
    15September_untitled_038-2-L.jpg
    Kate
    edited November 4, 2015
    Great news!! I'm happy to see you're new to you D700 being put to such good use! Best all around camera I've ever owned.
    edited November 5, 2015
    geez..that was a big jump in image quality! congrats on D700
    D700, D600
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    edited November 5, 2015
    Awesome!! Congratulations! Great set, the picture of the baby sandwich kiss made me Laughing.gif, literally. Thanks for the follow-up.
    -Jack