Wedding Photos/Senior????

KazersKazers Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins
edited September 11, 2012 in Weddings
Hello Grinners,

I come to you with a sticky situation with this wedding that I am shooting this weekend. I just received an email from the bride with the itinerary attached, and then "as a side note" she asks me to take some senior photos of her niece who happens to also be a bridesmaid. She let me know that her niece/nieces parents aren't able to afford senior photos on any other occasion and since I am there and already taking photos that she would "gift" her niece the portraits. I am not sure how to handle this situation I don't want to take away from the bride and groom photos and have a "mini" session on the side. I think it is a bit unorthodox for her to request this. On the other hand she is paying for my services for the day...What to do? Tell the bride sure Lets get one or two shots or try to see if she could book something on the side as a "gift" for her niece? Not sure if she would want to pay for another whole session after the big expense of wedding photography?

Thank you for the help in advance.

Kazers :)

Comments

• slpollettslpollett Registered Users Posts: 1,189 Major grins
    edited September 10, 2012
    Wow. That is a toughie. If this were me, I would tell the Bride that I would be happy to try to squeeze in a few 'senior portrait' style shots of her niece on the fly, but the demands of photographing the wedding probably would not allow me to do do much more than that. Suggest setting another time to give her niece the true senior portrait session she deserves. 'Maybe' even offer a discount.

Good luck. I'm sure the Bride means well...it's just that most people really don't understand everything the photographer does.

Sherry
  • KazersKazers Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins
    edited September 11, 2012
    slpollett wrote: »
    Wow. That is a toughie. If this were me, I would tell the Bride that I would be happy to try to squeeze in a few 'senior portrait' style shots of her niece on the fly, but the demands of photographing the wedding probably would not allow me to do do much more than that. Suggest setting another time to give her niece the true senior portrait session she deserves. 'Maybe' even offer a discount.

Good luck. I'm sure the Bride means well...it's just that most people really don't understand everything the photographer does.

Sherry

Well thank you! At the very least I was looking for some advice about what to say in an email to the bride and I couldn't exactly get the wording correct without sounding like I am heartless about her situation. Thanks for the input. :)
  • bmoreshooterbmoreshooter Registered Users Posts: 210 Major grins
    It really would not take much effort to take a couple of shots of the senior and it could mean some extra sales or even another booking if she really likes them. I would explain that a wedding is not the right time or place to try to concentrate on another shoot which normally requires different setting and lighting set up. (just in case you don't produce exactly what she's looking for). Try looking at this as another opportunity instead of a problem.
  • Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    Simply tell her that as long as she makes EXTRA time for it, and doesn't cut into your time for B&G portraits etc, you're happy to oblige.

Honestly, they're just paying you to shoot, what does it matter what you shoot?

It is my dream to show up to a wedding one day and have them say "oh, we cancelled the wedding, but here's fifty commercial products for you to photograph instead, can you set up some lights, tether your laptop, and get this done in 4 hours?" Hahah if only!!!

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum