the dgrin suggestion box

Comments

• ChrisJChrisJ Registered Users Posts: 2,164 Major grins
    edited June 6, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:
    Just click on your name, and from the drop-down menu choose "find more posts by..". :D

Cool! I clicked on "You!" but didn't see the option... never even thought about clicking on my Avatar name!
    Chris
  • ChrisJChrisJ Registered Users Posts: 2,164 Major grins
    edited June 13, 2006
    "New Stuff" doesn't show new Support Messages...
    Title says it... I've been following the statistics issue, and when I click "New Stuff" that thread never shows up (nor any other threads in the Support sections).

I guess this might be by design... Not a big deal, it just doesn't behave as I expected. I can subscribe/bookmark that thread for now.

Please, just keep working on the stats issue instead... :D

P.S. I'm one of the 99% who never looks at my stats...
    Chris
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited June 13, 2006
    ChrisJ wrote:
    Title says it... I've been following the statistics issue, and when I click "New Stuff" that thread never shows up (nor any other threads in the Support sections).

I guess this might be by design...

nod.gif it is by design :)

If you want a link that will give you ALL "new stuff" here it is:

http://www.dgrin.com/search.php?do=getnew

wave.gif
  • photodougphotodoug Registered Users Posts: 870 Major grins
    edited July 14, 2006
    Thumbnail gallery of all uploaded shots
    there are times that I'm just wandering through all the shots uploaded since my last visit. thought it'd be nice to have one place to go to see them all referenced in one thumbnail gallery...suppose clicking on one would lead you to the originating thread.
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited July 14, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    nod.gif it is by design :)

If you want a link that will give you ALL "new stuff" here it is:

http://www.dgrin.com/search.php?do=getnew

wave.gif
    That's not a button, huh? A bookmark? headscratch.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
    edited July 14, 2006
    wxwax wrote:
    That's not a button, huh? A bookmark? headscratch.gif
    nod.gif and if you search back in your memory, this was YOUR IDEA deal.gif

Don't make me find the posts naughty.gif
    edited July 14, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    nod.gif and if you search back in your memory, this was YOUR IDEA deal.gif

Don't make me find the posts naughty.gif
    I know the split was. But I didn't know how to include the "other" material in a search. Thanks! 1drink.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
  • rsi1986rsi1986 Registered Users Posts: 113 Major grins
    edited July 14, 2006
    "In the Studio"
    I am trying to get into studio shooting. I would love to see a "In the Studio" section in the forum. Thanks.
    Stimulating the economy one lens at a time. :super
    Robert A. www.imaginglifestyle.com

edited July 14, 2006
    rsi1986 wrote:
    I am trying to get into studio shooting. I would love to see a "In the Studio" section in the forum. Thanks.
    Thanks for the suggestion - for now, use "technique," modded by fantastic studio expert, Shay Stephens!

deal.gif
    edited July 14, 2006
    Make sure to ask Shay the best time to use harsh light in the studio.
    Sid.
  • justMEjustME Registered Users Posts: 209 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2006
    what camera-lens did you use?
    I apologize if this has been suggested before, I admit I didn't read all the threads.
    It would be great if folks would list what camera they used, and what lens. There are some fantastic shots posted and I'm left wondering what they used. EXIF would be the best.
    Some:(: have thier equipment listed in their profiles but not all.
    Canon EOS 30D & 50D
    Arizona, USA
    http://justineolson.smugmug.com/

..........................................................................................
  • gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2006
    justME wrote:
    I apologize if this has been suggested before, I admit I didn't read all the threads.
    It would be great if folks would list what camera they used, and what lens. There are some fantastic shots posted and I'm left wondering what they used. EXIF would be the best.
    Some:(: have thier equipment listed in their profiles but not all.
    Thats an entirely personal thing. A lot of people dont feel the need to advertise what they own or indeed let the world know of settings used..sort of a personal © if you like for the pro's.

Personally i find it quite odd that people do have all this info ...but hey as i said... its an individual thing.
  • justMEjustME Registered Users Posts: 209 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2006
    I see, thanks Gus. I understand.
    Canon EOS 30D & 50D
    Arizona, USA
    http://justineolson.smugmug.com/

..........................................................................................
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2006
    justME wrote:
    I see, thanks Gus. I understand.

And sometimes people are just lazy, or don't think about it. Feel free to ask to see the EXIF if there's a shot that you have a particular interest in. Most will share it freely, if asked.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • StvStv Registered Users Posts: 28 Big grins
    edited December 4, 2006
    Vacuum
    Andy wrote:
    yep. here's where it goes. let's hear from you ear.gif

Andy, a great site here! However, as a Newbie and let me apologize in advance if I get this wrong or this subject has arisen before, but I feel that this site needs just a tad more connectivity, as in peer to peer communications.

Communications with other members here have a buffer that inhibits direct interactions as one would find in a typical forum type setting.

The ability to directly interact between registered members would promote a greater sense of community within this site, although I can appreciate the privacy issues for some members. Then perhaps maybe a direct open public forum and gallery connected whereby the members set the topics and subject knowledgeable members can pass on their accumulated wisdom and experiences.

Just a thought!
    edited December 4, 2006
    Stv wrote:
    Andy, a great site here! However, as a Newbie and let me apologize in advance if I get this wrong or this subject has arisen before, but I feel that this site needs just a tad more connectivity, as in peer to peer communications.

Communications with other members here have a buffer that inhibits direct interactions as one would find in a typical forum type setting.

The ability to directly interact between registered members would promote a greater sense of community within this site, although I can appreciate the privacy issues for some members. Then perhaps maybe a direct open public forum and gallery connected whereby the members set the topics and subject knowledgeable members can pass on their accumulated wisdom and experiences.

Just a thought!
    Hi, have you seen that you can send a private message to a member? Just checking. Thanks!
  • StvStv Registered Users Posts: 28 Big grins
    edited December 4, 2006
    Well, yes and no ...............
    Andy wrote:
    Hi, have you seen that you can send a private message to a member? Just checking. Thanks!

............. that is I eventually did see "private messages" while I was composing my post, but I failed to see the left hand column on how to actually enable the feature until your reply spurred me on to look deeper. Doh! My bad.

Still feeling my way around here.

........ a reluctant Luddite is me!

Thanx......Stv
    edited December 4, 2006
    Stv wrote:
    ............. that is I eventually did see "private messages" while I was composing my post, but I failed to see the left hand column on how to actually enable the feature until your reply spurred me on to look deeper. Doh! My bad.

Still feeling my way around here.

........ a reluctant Luddite is me!

Thanx......Stv
    No problemo, holler and we will help you, we promise :D
  • gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
    edited December 13, 2006
    Maybe move this thread to Finishing School so the correct people see it. I doubt anyone will notice it in The Big Picture.
    Nick
    SmugMug Technical Account Manager
    Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
    nickwphoto
  • bobcoolbobcool Registered Users Posts: 271 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2007
    Search feature
    Hi Andy,

Unless I'm doing something wrong, the search feature doesn't yield proper results when looking for a phrase. I place the phrase in quotation marks (like in other search engines) and I always get piecemeal words from the phrase and not the phrase itself.

Does Dgrin have a specific way to search for multiple-word queries?
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2007
    You can always use this in google:

site:dgrin.com search words listed here following google syntax
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
    edited January 3, 2007
    bobcool wrote:
    Hi Andy,

Unless I'm doing something wrong, the search feature doesn't yield proper results when looking for a phrase. I place the phrase in quotation marks (like in other search engines) and I always get piecemeal words from the phrase and not the phrase itself.

Does Dgrin have a specific way to search for multiple-word queries?
    well, we don't allow 3-letter words.... try Advanced Search, and then search by thread or posts.

Also, another cool way to search is google site search. Put this in the google search box:

site:www.dgrin.com raw tutorial
  • bobcoolbobcool Registered Users Posts: 271 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2007
    Cool, thanks a lot - I'll try that method. Thanks for the quick reply!
  • DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited January 3, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    site:www.dgrin.com raw tutorial
    very important thing I learned a little while ago - it DOES matter if you put a space after the colon. as in, if you DO put it there, you're not doing the right thing. you want your site directly after the colon, no spaces!
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2007
    Wondering if this would be possible...

I open a thread and read all the comments. I decide to comment too. I take my time to comment, or I write a lot, or I take a break mid-comment and then come back to it. Hit "submit reply." Then...(here's the suggestion)...

A message pops up telling me that another comment has been submitted to this thread since I opened the thread. Would I like to read it first before submitting my reply?

I can choose to read the new comment(s) first and then edit my own accordingly, or I can just submit mine anyway.

I made a comment on something recently and when I had finished, there were 3-4 new comments in the thread before mine, and mine ended up looking like I had either copied other people's ideas (not the case) or not taken the time to read everything before commenting (which wasn't the case either). Anyway, if I had been able to read the new posts, I would have just agreed with what had been newly posted and not have taken the time and space to give the same suggestions.

This is not a big deal...just a luxury item, from my persepective! :D

Elaine
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
    edited January 11, 2007
    Elaine wrote:
    Wondering if this would be possible...

I open a thread and read all the comments. I decide to comment too. I take my time to comment, or I write a lot, or I take a break mid-comment and then come back to it. Hit "submit reply." Then...(here's the suggestion)...

A message pops up telling me that another comment has been submitted to this thread since I opened the thread. Would I like to read it first before submitting my reply?

I can choose to read the new comment(s) first and then edit my own accordingly, or I can just submit mine anyway.

I made a comment on something recently and when I had finished, there were 3-4 new comments in the thread before mine, and mine ended up looking like I had either copied other people's ideas (not the case) or not taken the time to read everything before commenting (which wasn't the case either). Anyway, if I had been able to read the new posts, I would have just agreed with what had been newly posted and not have taken the time and space to give the same suggestions.

This is not a big deal...just a luxury item, from my persepective! :D

Elaine
    it can happen - don't know an automated way around it but what I do, is open the thread in a new window to see if there are other relavent comments before I hit post....
    edited March 14, 2007
    StevenV wrote:
    I imagine that many are like me and, now that we've found the site, have a bookmark set for the forums.

That means that there are menus that we almost never see... which may lead people to forget about tutorials and other dgrin features.

note the inconsistancy...

dgrin.smugmug.com/index.php
    dgrinsmugmugcomindex7op.png

dgrin.smugmug.com/Dgrin Galleries
    dgrinsmugmugcomdgringalleries7.png

dgrin.com/private.php
    dgrincomprivatephp8fv.png

dgrin.com/index.php
    dgrincomindex4un.png
    Getting closer on this thumb.gif the headers are consistent. The dgrin.smgumug site will have different navbar. But the navbars on www.dgrin.com should become more consistent - I'm working on it!
  • Gary GlassGary Glass Registered Users Posts: 744 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2007
    Inbox notifications
    I wish I could be notified when I receive a new message in my dgrin inbox, either by getting an e-mail the same way I do when I watch a dgrin thread, or by subscribing to an RSS feed the same way I do when I watch a smugmug shooter's galleries.
  • DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited March 15, 2007
    Gary Glass wrote:
    I wish I could be notified when I receive a new message in my dgrin inbox, either by getting an e-mail the same way I do when I watch a dgrin thread
    You can!

Go to "You!" > Edit Options... there's a whole "Messaging and Notification" section, there you have the option to enable both email and instant popup notification, if you're logged in.
    thumb.gif
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Gary GlassGary Glass Registered Users Posts: 744 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2007
    DoctorIt wrote:
    You can!

Go to "You!" > Edit Options... there's a whole "Messaging and Notification" section, there you have the option to enable both email and instant popup notification, if you're logged in.
    thumb.gif

Cool. I knew that was there but didn't know it did private messages too. Thanks, Doc.