Options

5D MKII 1080p MOV + MS Movie Maker = Nice

ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,798 moderator
edited April 27, 2010 in Video
New computer, i5, 750 processor, Windows 7, latest Movie Maker from Microsoft.

I'm finding that the latest Movie Maker, for Vista and 7 only (Windows Live based, Ver 14.0.8091.0730), does have the ability (in Windows 7 anyway) to load Canon 5D MKII 1080p MOV files natively, edit, and save as a Windows WMV format (yeck) in 1080(something), 16:9 format, and the results are smooth and play nicely. I am not seeing posterization or other effects that would seriously degrade the image quality.

Processing is fast and so far, this morning is when I got it loaded and working, it is stable too.

Movie Maker is not really a very complete video editor/processor, lacking multiple tracks, no real color correction (brightness slider), no real sound correction (slider to reduce volume), but for a free software I'm a happy camper. :barb
ziggy53
Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums

Comments

• Options
    PilotBradPilotBrad Registered Users Posts: 339 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2010
    Interesting. Do you know if there has been a recent update? I ask because as of a month or two ago, I couldn't get WLMM (on Win7) to recognize the video files from a T1i or 7D. I seem to recall reading online that many folks were having the same issue, so maybe they fixed it.
  • Options
    edited April 26, 2010
    Check your version number against the one that I just posted. (That's kinda why I included it.)

I have also loaded "ffdShow" and I suppose that could have installed the necessary codec, but I don't think so because ffdShow does not list as an available option for input/output.

Afterward I also installed Sony Vegas Video Pro 9 (trial) and I am really enchanted with it's host of features. It is much slower to process but the output options are much broader and visual quality is better at the higher quality codecs and settings, enough so that playback is stuttery again and the file sizes are enormous. (30 second test video yields 4.5GB file in Sony YUV format, vs 39MB in WMV format and 25.6MB in WMV format from the Movie Maker software for a similar test.)
    ziggy53
  • Options
    edited April 26, 2010
    Thanks Ziggy... I am going to give it a look when I get home tonight.

Ironically, I came to the forums with the intention of seeking advice or a receommendation for simple video editing software. I was leaning toward a version of Vegas, but then I saw your post about WLMM so now I will see if I can get it to work.

That being said, WLMM seemed to work fine for the vids taken with my P&S, but with the 7D I feel the need for a little more power.
  • Options
    edited April 27, 2010
    Same version number, but no joy. I'm going to play around with some codecs.
  • Options
    angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2010
    ziggy53 wrote:
    New computer, i5, 750 processor, Windows 7, latest Movie Maker from Microsoft.

I'm finding that the latest Movie Maker, for Vista and 7 only (Windows Live based, Ver 14.0.8091.0730), does have the ability (in Windows 7 anyway) to load Canon 5D MKII 1080p MOV files natively, edit, and save as a Windows WMV format (yeck) in 1080(something), 16:9 format, and the results are smooth and play nicely. I am not seeing posterization or other effects that would seriously degrade the image quality.

Processing is fast and so far, this morning is when I got it loaded and working, it is stable too.

Movie Maker is not really a very complete video editor/processor, lacking multiple tracks, no real color correction (brightness slider), no real sound correction (slider to reduce volume), but for a free software I'm a happy camper. wings.gif

CooL!!! Now wheres that video??:D
    tom wise
  • Options
    edited April 27, 2010
    angevin1 wrote:
    CooL!!! Now wheres that video??:D

So far it's nothing worth showing. With this success in editing I am encouraged to go out and shoot something more interesting.

Uploading will be an issue as I don't have very good upload speed. I'll see if I can do better "borrowing" someone else's connection (with permission of course).
    ziggy53