2»

Comments

• zippyzipzippyzip Registered Users Posts: 19 Big grins
    edited August 26, 2016
    Sailboat on Watauga Lake in Tennessee
    Beautiful sailboat at sunset
  • JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    edited August 27, 2016
    This is a great subject! Since I cannot officially participate, please do not consider my images for judging. However, I have hundreds of photos of ships and boats and would like to just show and tell if you all don't mind.

1. Egyptian grave yard for ships

2. Trawler without Water, Chugiak, Alaska

3. Does size matter?

• travelwaystravelways Registered Users Posts: 7,854 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2016
    Love your last one Joyce! iloveyou.gif
    Tatiana - Seeing the world through my camera
    TravelwaysPhotos.com ...... Facebook
    VegasGreatAttractions.com
    Travelways.com
  • pegellipegelli Registered Users Posts: 8,756 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2016
    Another great mini-challenge where my problem was selecting from the 100's of pictures I have of ships and boats
    But here they are:

1: No wind?
    PEG_NEX6_2_02568_20150720.jpg

2: Impressive bow
    PEG_NEX6_2_4663_20160530.jpg

3: Rowing through the Amsterdam canals
    PEG_A6000_1_5732_20160421-2.jpg
    Pieter, aka pegelli
    My SmugMug
  • DeuceFourDeuceFour Registered Users Posts: 350 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2016
    Here is mine! Sony a6000 | 18-200mm f/3.5-6.3
    1.) USS Carl Vinson
    i-mMzpVTQ-XL.jpg
    2.) Underway
    i-tzX2DZ8-XL.jpg
    3.) Freedom
    i-THKZCz7-XL.jpg
  • Meta4Meta4 Registered Users Posts: 200 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2016
    Mini Challenge #232: Ships and Boats
    Time's up - game over for the ships and boats mini challenge.

As Ratty said to Mole in Kenneth Grahame's The Wind in the Willows, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.
    I subscribe to that philosophy too, I lived aboard a yacht for several years and always like looking at boats of all kinds.

This challenge attracted lots of good entries showing a variety of watercraft in a diverse range of environments.
    The photos that I've picked as my favourites are:
    1. Earache - Before Dawn ~ San Diego Bay
    Before%20Dawn-X2.jpg
    This is the image that makes my eye want to spend time taking in all the details.
    The subject, composition and lighting al come together to create a magical, memorable image.
    Definitely worth getting up early to catch this one.

2. Pegelli - Rowing through Amsterdam Canals
    i-pLkLJQJ-XL.jpg

The sight line into the distance and the red inside the boat draw the eyes immediately to this image.
    Composition is just right and the image is loaded with interesting details ofrowers, moored boats, parked cars and bicycles.
    This shot instantly brings back memories of Amsterdammers taking to the cancals every weekend in amazing variety of boats.

3. Travelways - Delores Ann
    cape-sable-island-nova-scotia-18-X2.jpg

Not the prettiest boat but an honest working boat with loads of character that comes through in this picture.
    The yellow hull and cluster of pink and red mooring buoys pull the viewer's gaze and the reflection just reinforces the whole effect.

Thanks everyone for sharing your images and congratulations Earache on coming up with my favourite this time.
  • travelwaystravelways Registered Users Posts: 7,854 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2016
    Thank you Meta, for choosing my old lady as one of your favorites :)
    Tatiana - Seeing the world through my camera
    TravelwaysPhotos.com ...... Facebook
    VegasGreatAttractions.com
    Travelways.com
  • sapphire73sapphire73 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 1,942 moderator
    edited September 5, 2016
    Congratulations to Earache for that gorgeous, winning photo of San Diego bay! Congrats as well to Pegelli and Travelways for 2nd and 3rd place wins. Thank you Meta4 for running this mini challenge. Lots of great entries. clap.gif
  • EaracheEarache Registered Users Posts: 3,533 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2016
    Just got a message from JAG, and read the news... thanks Meta4, for the selection!
    This was an especially good-looking group of entries by all... so many fine photographs... thus, I'm surprised to be your top pick, thanks again!
    Pieter and Tatiana, your images are both so rich and colorful... great work!

I'll have a new theme in mind, and I'll get it posted tomorrow... cheers all!
    Eric ~ Smugmug
  • sarasphotossarasphotos Registered Users Posts: 3,822 Major grins
    edited September 6, 2016
    Eric, Pieter and Tatiana, congratulations on your winning photos! Looking forward to the next challenge, Eric.
  • pegellipegelli Registered Users Posts: 8,756 Major grins
    edited September 6, 2016
    Oops I missed the results, Honoured to be included in the top picks with so many great entries! Eric, congrats with the win and Tatiana with the other top pick. It seems smaller boats were favourite :)
    Pieter, aka pegelli
    My SmugMug