Options

A Stunning BMW

black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,321 Major grins
edited September 6, 2014 in Other Cool Shots
This gorgeous car is a 1959 BMW 507. In 1954, the U.S. importer for BMW, Max Hoffman, encouraged BMW to produce this car to challenge the 300 SL just introduced by Mercedes. In 1955, the prototype 507 was shown at a big New York show held at the Waldorf-Astoria. Late in 1956, the car entered formal production.

An anticipated selling price of $5,000 was adjusted upward to over $10,000 by the time it reached the market. Production cost for the car had been grossly under-estimated. The high price stunted sales and only 252 of these jewels were produced. What had been intended to bring glory to the BMW line, almost took the company into bankruptcy. They lost money on every 507 made. However, it was immediately judged to be one of the most beautiful cars ever made....attracting many well-heeled buyers, like Elvis Presley.

These cars are highly sought after in today's collector car market. Their bold performance and styling, along with their rarity, have sent their pricing through the roof.

Amelia%202013%2011%20150-X3.jpg

Amelia%202013%2011%20147-x3.jpg
I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.

Comments

• Options
    StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2014
    Gorgeous indeed!
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,906 moderator
    edited September 1, 2014
    I have never seen a 507. Beautiful car! And the resemblance to the Z4 is pretty amazing.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    edited September 1, 2014
    Stumblebum wrote: »
    Gorgeous indeed!

One of my all-time favorites. Thanks for the visit.

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • Options
    edited September 1, 2014
    ian408 wrote: »
    I have never seen a 507. Beautiful car! And the resemblance to the Z4 is pretty amazing.

About 10 years ago, a gal I know found one in a garage in Savannah, GA. It had been sorely neglected. After about a year, she got the car fairly well sorted out....mechanically. Cosmetically, it needed quite a bit. She tired of the money drain and unloaded it ( an all too common story in the collector car world ). I think it went to a guy in Scotland.

Tom
  • Options
    moose135moose135 Registered Users Posts: 1,417 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2014
    That's beautiful, Tom!
  • Options
    edited September 1, 2014
    moose135 wrote: »
    That's beautiful, Tom!

Boy, John, that would make a super Blue Ridge Parkway cruiser, wouldn't it?

See you,

Tom
  • Options
    EaracheEarache Registered Users Posts: 3,533 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2014
    That one looks darn fun to drive, just about anywhere!
    Super images Tom - love the guy's face behind the windscreen.

Had a '74 2002 - drove the crap out of it... loved the car - hated my repair bills.
    Eric ~ Smugmug
  • Options
    edited September 1, 2014
    Earache wrote: »
    That one looks darn fun to drive, just about anywhere!
    Super images Tom - love the guy's face behind the windscreen.

Had a '74 2002 - drove the crap out of it... loved the car - hated my repair bills.

I had my first experience with BMWs when my college roommate bought a ' 1600 ' in '63. I don't know how that car survived the pair of us. After college, he drifted off into a whole range of European iron. In '73, he got a 2002tii. Now THAT was a car.

In '74, I bought a Pontiac Trans Am SD 455. He and I got into running a few Gymkhana pylon races together. It was embarrassing....he could wax my fanny every time. All my power didn't help a bit.

I, myself, got the BMW bug in '82. I bought a 320i that became a mule for my hot rod tendencies. I had it lowered slightly, firmed up the suspension, and slapped a big Garret turbocharger on it. After some initial teething problems were worked out, that thing was an absolute stormer. It was Lapis blue and I put some gold BBS wheels on it. Damn, it was gorgeous.

In the following years, I had a couple of 5 series BMWs before I left the brand. Their niggling service requirements wore me out.

See you, buddy,

Tom
  • Options
    JeroenJeroen Registered Users Posts: 447 Major grins
    edited September 6, 2014
    It is a real beauty indeed!

I was infected with the BMW virus in the early '80s when my father bought a 1979 525i. I drive a 1985 E30 320i :)