camera/lens belts....? Which one do you recommend?

haringharing Registered Users Posts: 281 Major grins
edited August 30, 2015 in Accessories
I would like to keep my lenses on my belt while I am shooting. I have found 4 belts I like.
Do you have any of these? Which one would you recommend?

- I like the wider/thicker belsts hoping that they don't hurt your back... The thin ones may hurt my back... Any thoughts?
- Also, I would like to use any pouches for the belts... Some only accept their own brand pouches which is very limiting...

1. Lowepro S&F Deluxe Technical Belt (L/XL) B&H # LOSFDTBLX MFR # LP36285

2. Lowepro S&F Light Utility Belt

3. Think Tank Photo Pro Speed Belt V2.0 (Medium / Large, Black)
4. Think Tank Photo Steroid Speed Belt V2.0 (Medium / Large, Black)

5. Think Tank Thin Skin Belt V2.0 - L-XL-XXL

Thanks!

Comments

• yendikenoyendikeno Registered Users Posts: 214 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2015
    I use the Think Tank speed Belt together with some of the Skin pouches. Works well for me.
    Regards,
    AZFred
  • MomaZunkMomaZunk Registered Users Posts: 421 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2015
    Same here, I use the think tank photo pro with the regular pouches and the skins. I swap them out depending on what I am shooting.

The belt rides low enough that it does not hurt my back. There is also the harness that you can attach if you have a heavy load.

I tried the Lowepro and the belt was too wide for me, and seemed less functional compared to the think tank. In fact, I could send it to you for the cost of shipping if you are interested.
  • haringharing Registered Users Posts: 281 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2015
    MomaZunk wrote: »
    Same here, I use the think tank photo pro with the regular pouches and the skins. I swap them out depending on what I am shooting.

The belt rides low enough that it does not hurt my back. There is also the harness that you can attach if you have a heavy load.

I tried the Lowepro and the belt was too wide for me, and seemed less functional compared to the think tank. In fact, I could send it to you for the cost of shipping if you are interested.

Thanks so much! Do you also shoot weddings with it? I am a wedding photographer and need it for 3-6 hours. Do you think the harness looks strange on a woman at weddings?
    edited July 21, 2015
    I have not worn the harness, as I have enough hip to keep the belt up. I also use the OpTECH harness for 2 cameras and I think a harness with the belt would be too much for me.
    I shoot sports and am on my feet for long hours. I get tired in my legs, but not in my back.

Flattering? Nope
    My sister calls it my bat belt, and it is not flattering, but it is such a comfort to not have to sit anything down while shooting.
    Here is a pic of me with a fully loaded belt:
    I have everything that I need with just a slide of a pouch. I keep one end of the speed belt locked, so when I take it off everything does not slide off. Everything else just slides around as I need it.
    It can get a bit bulky when fully loaded up, so I will load only what I need.
    Here is what I use:
    - All My Other Stuff pouch with all my gadgets: batteries/cards/tripod hexkey/remote/filters/small umbrella/flashlight/bubble level/lens cloth / small DIY roll of gaffer's tape / X-rite color checker (yes, I have all of this in this small bag)
    - MM Audio Recorder Pouch: for my phone/notepad/pens/cards/car keys/lens caps/band aids
    - Skin body bag: catch all for another body / light meter / water bottle / 24-70mm or 14-24 mm lens / pocket wizards (not at the same time)
    - Lightning fast: speed light with base plate and rosco filter pack, another DIY roll of gaffers tape
    - skin75 pop down when I may need a place for my 70-200mm or just good water storage

I started my think tank collection 6 years ago, so some of these pouches have been replaced with new models, but I hope you get the feel for my system. I keep very little accessories stuff in my main camera bags, as I have that stuff on my belt.

I have the lens changers 25 and 35. Unless you need padding for travel (which is what I use these for sometimes), stick with the skin versions for less bulk, and the skins seem to be more versatile.

At events, I have my main bag with my backup gear and lighting stuff stashed, and what I need on my belt for shooting.

Probably more info than you were looking for, but I was on a roll. :-)
    Here is a pic of me with it fully loaded:
    15%252520-%2525201.jpg
    edited July 21, 2015
    I have not worn the harness, as I have enough hip to keep the belt up. I also use the OpTECH harness for 2 cameras and I think a harness with the belt would be too much for me.
    I shoot sports and am on my feet for long hours. I get tired in my legs, but not in my back.

Flattering? Nope
    My sister calls it my bat belt, and it is not flattering, but it is such a comfort to not have to sit anything down while shooting.
    I have everything that I need with just a slide of a pouch. I keep one end of the speed belt locked, so when I take it off everything does not slide off. Everything else just slides around as I need it.
    Here is what I use:
    - All My Other Stuff pouch with all my gadgets: batteries/cards/tripod hexkey/remote/filters/small umbrella/flashlight/bubble level/lens cloth / small DIY roll of gaffer's tape / X-rite color checker (yes, I have all of this in this small bag)
    - MM Audio Recorder Pouch: for my phone/notepad/pens/cards/car keys/lens caps/band aids
    - Skin body bag: catch all for another body / light meter / water bottle / 24-70mm or 14-24 mm lens / pocket wizards (not at the same time)
    - Lightning fast: speed light with base plate and rosco filter pack, another DIY roll of gaffers tape
    - skin75 pop down when I may need a place for my 70-200mm or just good water storage

I started my think tank collection 6 years ago, so some of these pouches have been replaced with new models, but I hope you get the feel for my system. I keep very little accessories stuff in my main camera bags, as I have that stuff on my belt.

I have the lens changers 25 and 35. Unless you need padding for travel (which is what I use these for sometimes), stick with the skin versions for less bulk, and the skins seem to be more versatile.

At events, I have my main bag with my backup gear and lighting stuff stashed, and what I need on my belt for shooting.

15%252520-%2525201.jpg
    Thanks soooooooooooooooooooooo much for your help!!!!
    edited July 22, 2015
    Awesome work btw...love the color
    edited July 23, 2015
    Thanks so much!
  • anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2015

Flattering? Nope
    Here is what I use:

15%252520-%2525201.jpg

That's the tallest tripod I've ever seen!!!
    "I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site
    edited August 30, 2015
    Yep...I like a tall tripod for real estate and large group shots. The really right stuff TVC-34L. The 4 series goes higher I believe.
  • anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2015
    Yep...I like a tall tripod for real estate and large group shots. The really right stuff TVC-34L. The 4 series goes higher I believe.
    I own an RRS tripod but the 2 series. Great tripod. On par, if not better than Gitzo.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
    "I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site