16 of an Elephant Hawk Moth caterpillar!

Paul IddonPaul Iddon Registered Users Posts: 5,129 Major grins
edited September 5, 2015 in Holy Macro
I had a great time tracking this amazing caterpillar around the leaves and branches of one of my fuchsia shrubs this evening. It's one of natures largest in the UK, and though not often seen, when you get to see them you can easily appreciate their beauty.

Longish thread over 2 posts, but hopefully you'll enjoy seeing all 16 of this wonderful larva, that hopefully, will now pupate in my garden and appear in the spring as a marvellous moth - though the chances of me seeing that happen are remote!

1200ele01.jpg

1200ele02.jpg

1200ele00.jpg

1200ele03.jpg

1200ele04.jpg

1200ele06.jpg

1200ele08.jpg

1200ele07.jpg

cont....

Link to my personal website: http://www.pauliddon.co.uk

Comments

• Paul IddonPaul Iddon Registered Users Posts: 5,129 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2015
    cont...

1200ele10.jpg

1200ele09.jpg

1200ele12.jpg

1200ele13.jpg

1200ele14.jpg

1200ele11.jpg

1200ele15.jpg

1200ele05.jpg

Hope you enjoyed them :)

Paul.

• IPClarkIPClark Registered Users Posts: 2,355 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2015
    Excellent series Paul. I'd be very pleased if I spotted one of these in my garden.
    edited September 3, 2015
    IPClark wrote: »
    Excellent series Paul. I'd be very pleased if I spotted one of these in my garden.

Thanks Ian m8 :)

Paul

• StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2015
    Awesome series!
  • Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,900 Major grins
    edited September 4, 2015
  • e6filmusere6filmuser Registered Users Posts: 3,376 Major grins
    edited September 4, 2015
    Paul,

You have done a first class job on this. We don't find the default view until after the first half dozen. Great detail and texture.

For several years I would get one, no more, no less, on Willowherb in my garden. It most be five or so years since I saw one (all re-digital) although the food plants were there. I believe they may find Evening Primrose (Willowherb family) acceptable but did not on our plants.

Harold
    edited September 4, 2015
    Stumblebum wrote: »
    Awesome series!
    Wonderful stuff Paul
    Brian v.
    e6filmuser wrote: »
    Paul,

You have done a first class job on this. We don't find the default view until after the first half dozen. Great detail and texture.

For several years I would get one, no more, no less, on Willowherb in my garden. It most be five or so years since I saw one (all re-digital) although the food plants were there. I believe they may find Evening Primrose (Willowherb family) acceptable but did not on our plants.

Harold

Thank you gents.

Willow herb is their preferred food, but in gardens the fuchsia becomes their option. Hopefully it won't spoil my little shrub too much before it settles down for the winter!

Paul.

• e6filmusere6filmuser Registered Users Posts: 3,376 Major grins
    edited September 4, 2015
    wings.gif
    Paul Iddon wrote: »
    Thank you gents.

Willow herb is their preferred food, but in gardens the fuchsia becomes their option. Hopefully it won't spoil my little shrub too much before it settles down for the winter!

Paul.

We have hardy Fuchias, and used to put others out during the summer, but it was always the lone Willowherb, Rosebay of Lesser. So this confirms their preference (sample size of one per annum!).

Harold
  • GOLDENORFEGOLDENORFE Super Moderators Posts: 4,747 moderator
    edited September 5, 2015
    I used to breed this species long time ago :) haven't seen one for a few years though