Mini Challenge #218 - Glass ... Results

puzzledpaulpuzzledpaul Registered Users Posts: 1,621 Major grins
edited December 24, 2015 in The Dgrin Challenges
Whilst sitting by the computer, staring into space with a faraway look, wondering what topic to choose for this MC, my gaze invariably fell (and focussed) on various bits of glass (and plastic) containers a few feet away from me, that I’ve been cutting up for a current project.

In the morning, these items, which lie on a table between me and a window – are backlit by the sun, and a basic ‘brightfield’ setup is created. This offers one way of achieving the necessary edge definition required for successful glass object photography. The result was a range of simple – but splendid (imo) - shapes and contours, derived from objects of lowly origin - eg marmalade / pickle / chutney jars and 2L cider flagons with finger loops ...

I was also intrigued by the subtle difference in colours exhibited by supposedly similar transparent glass via newly cut edges. Additional ’features’, such as defects / distortion or embossed areas generally added even more interest to the final result, as of course, did coloured glass.

This MC was all about exploiting the intrinsic beauty that a glass + (well controlled) light combination can deliver at its most basic level, rather than the (more usual?) results obtained by the material’s use in some sort of complex configuration or environment.

This is hardly the place to start discussing the problems associated with taking decent pics of glass (ware), but I’d recommend *Light Science and Magic’s’ chapter on the subject if anyone’s interested.

As the entries are – for the most part – competent examples of glass in everyday use, in some way or other, and it’s the season of goodwill, I’m going to give everyone an HM.

However, the baton has to be passed on, so :

1st Don Ricklin - Chihuly pic, because of its relative simplicity and the way it’s lit (although – for this topic, I wonder if there’s a tighter crop lurking in there?)
2nd pegelli – refractive
3rd travelways - Chihuly

Btw, I’d never heard of Chiluly before this MC, so I’d also recommend a visit to his site to check out the photography there.

Thanks to all who decided to have a go, and I hope the relevant recipient of your seasonal ‘needs /wants’ letter takes the hint :)

pp

* I have an older (1997,second edition) of this book, but note there are newer editions.
Reviews seem to suggest that it's still a decent book, tho.

Comments

• pegellipegelli Registered Users Posts: 8,756 Major grins
    edited December 23, 2015
    Thanks for the comments and HM, looking forward to the next challenge :ivar
    Pieter, aka pegelli
    My SmugMug
  • DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins
    edited December 23, 2015
    Paul, thank you for the win! So many good ones, including other Chihuly ones. Congrats to the placers. I will get another challenge up by the weekend if not sooner.

Have a Geat Holidays, all.

Don

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk
    Don Ricklin - Gear: Canon EOS 5D Mark III, was Pentax K7
    'I was older then, I'm younger than that now' ....
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
  • grandmaRgrandmaR Registered Users Posts: 1,942 Major grins
    edited December 23, 2015
    I never heard of Chiluly either until my 8 year old granddaughter insisted I go to the exhibition of his work at Fairchild Gardens. But once I found out about him he seemed to be everywhere. :)

100_4404Image029.jpg

x100_4422.JPG

x100_4313.JPG

x100_4324.JPG

It was hard to pick just one.
    “"..an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered." G.K. Chesterton”
  • DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins
    edited December 24, 2015
    The next challenge is up at Mini-Challenge #219 - Facade Stories

Have a Happy Holidays everyone,

Don
    Don Ricklin - Gear: Canon EOS 5D Mark III, was Pentax K7
    'I was older then, I'm younger than that now' ....
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook