More Craigslist fun

SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
edited May 5, 2015 in Mind Your Own Business
I'm sorry, I just can't help it. :D

I really wish I had a magic wand and could see the results of trying to hire an experienced wedding photographer with a portfolio for $10.00 per hour. I do feel sorry for the couple.

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

A professional photography company is looking for a seasoned photographer to assist in a wedding in Morgan Hill on Friday May 15 from 1pm till 8pm. Pay is $10.00 per hour.

Qualifications:
- 2+ years of wedding photography
- own their equipment
- able to drive to Morgan Hill
- professional
-great customer service skills

Please email me your portfolio

Comments

• AceCo55AceCo55 Registered Users Posts: 950 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2015
    eek7.gif :oogle :jawdrop
    My opinion does not necessarily make it true. What you do with my opinion is entirely up to you.
    www.acecootephotography.com
  • puzzledpaulpuzzledpaul Registered Users Posts: 1,621 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2015
    Sam wrote: »

... and could see the results ...

Probably far superior to those I'll be handing over to my daughter + SO after their knot tying gig this summer.
    That's assuming they'll have recovered from the pneumonia caught after being dumped in the river (Cam) for the water level shots :)

... I do feel sorry for the couple.

Yep, no question.

pp
  • Tom FosterTom Foster Registered Users Posts: 289 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2015
    $10 per hour? I thought £10 per hour when I read at first and that is already ridiculous enough! Can't imagine they had many takers!
    edited April 24, 2015
    Although to be fair I wouldn't mind doing it too much if I lived locally and I was otherwise free, there was free food/drink, I got to retain my rights to the images I took and all the editing, etc. was done by someone else. Even so it's still nothing in terms of money!
  • SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2015
    Tom Foster wrote: »
    Although to be fair I wouldn't mind doing it too much if I lived locally and I was otherwise free, there was free food/drink, I got to retain my rights to the images I took and all the editing, etc. was done by someone else. Even so it's still nothing in terms of money!

Tom, my first thought reading this was :bash:bash:bash:bash:bash

Then I went to your website and see some really nice images at far from give away print prices.

Next time your in America I will absolutely hire you for $10.00 per hour! If I don't have a job for you I will make one up. You would be too good of a deal to pass up. :D

Food and drink at a wedding for me entails a quick wolf down of a small amount of food and some water / soda to hydrate, (can't eat too much, get all stuffed and sluggish, or drink alcohol for similar reasons). So food / drinks are not an incentive for me.

Next, although the site is about a 1/2 hour from me I calculate my transportation cost at $20.00. Transportation time est 1 1/2 hours. Drive time 1/2 hour each way, arriving at least 1/2 hour before start time. I always carry at least one energy bar and one bottle of water. $2.49. AA batteries $3.00.

Now if they start late, and have delays what started out as a 7 hour shoot plus travel time can end up with a 10 or 12 hour day. They are expecting to pay $70.00 so they may or may not feel they need to pay you while you were standing around not shooting.

So I would be committing to a whole day in the future, and looking at a net pay of $44.51. for at best 7 hours of shooting for a whopping $6.35 per hour.

If this was something I really wanted to do (know them / veteran / some cause ) I would do it for free. But I will not take out 5K to 10K of gear and work for $10.00 per hour.

Sam
    edited April 24, 2015
    You make a fair point, that's kind of how I feel too. I was just almost attempting to play devil's advocate to some extent. It's a ridiculous price but I could potentially see some people agreeing to it if it was the sort of thing they enjoyed doing anyway.
    Something I know I would not do but can see why some might! Not that I agree though... Too much hassle for too small a reward! ;)
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator
    edited April 25, 2015
    Something like this would be perfect for a novice to gain experience and portfolio shots. However, asking for a "seasoned photographer with 2+ years of wedding experience", and who already has a portfolio for $10/hour is simply ludicrous. This is probably the most egregious low-ball gig offer I've ever seen. I would imagine the principal photographer here is quite the newbie them-self and probably severely low-balled the entire gig.
    edited April 25, 2015
    kdog wrote: »
    Something like this would be perfect for a novice to gain experience and portfolio shots. However, asking for a "seasoned photographer with 2+ years of wedding experience", and who already has a portfolio for $10/hour is simply ludicrous. This is probably the most egregious low-ball gig offer I've ever seen. I would imagine the principal photographer here is quite the newbie them-self and probably severely low-balled the entire gig.

Precisely, well said.

Sam
    edited April 25, 2015
    Yeah, true! Skimmed over the 2 years+ part the first time around!
  • TonyCooperTonyCooper Registered Users Posts: 2,276 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2015
    I am not a professional photographer and have never shot a wedding.
    I hired a professional for my daughter's wedding even though I am a
    somewhat experienced photographer. I went to socialize, not work.

The one thing I'm curious about, though, is whether or not taking a
    gig like this would be of interest to a pro who doesn't have any other
    commitment for the day for the contacts.

At any wedding of young people there are always couples there who will
    hire a wedding photographer in the near future. Future business.

Is this not something pros think about?
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,893 moderator
    edited April 26, 2015
    TonyCooper wrote: »
    I think the problem here is that nobody wants to become known as "that great photographer who works for $10/hr." deal.gif
    edited April 26, 2015
    I am not a professional photographer and have never shot a wedding.
    I hired a professional for my daughter's wedding even though I am a
    somewhat experienced photographer. I went to socialize, not work.

Is this not something pros think about?

Good thought......if your looking for booking at $10.00 per hour. :D

Sam
  • TonyCooperTonyCooper Registered Users Posts: 2,276 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2015
    Good thought......if your looking for booking at $10.00 per hour. :D

Sam

This doesn't follow. It is the photographer who placed the ad that is
    the cheapskate. The couple being photographed may be paying top
    rates, and their friends may be willing to pay top rates.

The couple, and their friends, would not have any idea what the
    photographer's assistants are being paid.
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/
  • moose135moose135 Registered Users Posts: 1,413 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2015
    gig like this would be of interest to a pro who doesn't have any other commitment for the day for the contacts.

I don't know how that would help you. I can't see handing out your own business cards to guests - that's tacky for starters, and probably a conflict with the contracted lead photographer, and if guests ask the wedding couple afterwards, they are going to give them the name of the lead, not you.
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator
    edited April 27, 2015
    moose135 wrote: »
    I don't know how that would help you. I can't see handing out your own business cards to guests - that's tacky for starters, and probably a conflict with the contracted lead photographer, and if guests ask the wedding couple afterwards, they are going to give them the name of the lead, not you.
    Yup. That's a common clause in second-shooter contracts. You are there to represent the photography company who hired you and you aren't allowed to promote yourself.

Lots of pros will do second-shooter work as "filler" jobs. But I doubt any of them would work for $10/hr. I certainly wouldn't. It's just not worth the wear and tear on equipment and yourself. :nah Not to mention it's a complete insult.
    edited May 1, 2015
    Yeah, not sure they'd be happy with you advertising yourself at something like that!
    edited May 2, 2015
    Update :D

They upped their offer to $20 to $30 per hour and have two takers.

How do I know? I offered to second shoot for $350.00

Sam
    edited May 5, 2015
    Do you know if they are expecting the second shooter to edit their shots too? That would be the deal maker/breaker for me! Hope the couple gets someone decent doing it. Who knows what the others volunteering will be like?!