Which do you prefer and why?

877241515_rqXpx-XL.jpg

877240434_2bYpW-XL.jpg
Oh yeah, none of the above is a perfectly acceptable answer. :wink

Thanks.

Comments

• michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited May 24, 2010
    As a leftie myself I really want to like these. Of the two I prefer the composition of the first as it feels more dynamic. But honestly, neither do much for me. ne_nau.gif
  • lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
    edited May 24, 2010
    michswiss wrote: »
    As a leftie myself I really want to like these. Of the two I prefer the composition of the first as it feels more dynamic. But honestly, neither do much for me. ne_nau.gif

Hi Richard,
    I agree with Jenn's comment above.
    Out of the two images, I like #1 the best, but it also leaves me ne_nau.gif.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,893 moderator
    edited May 26, 2010
    I also prefer #1, but then I like them both. Oh well. lol3.gif Thanks for the feedback.
  • AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited May 26, 2010
    richard

I really like #1 for a host of reasons (but I will point out that absent your title one would not know the word is lefties thanks to the perfect framing of the man's head over the "e")

it's a dynamic composition of four pedestrians (and the female model in the graphic inside the store window) aligned in an almost perfect diagonal line pulling you into the frame.

the man on the mobile takes center stage and is the only subject "moving left" which supports your title.

i could nitpick a few technicals but won't because it's a good picture and very nice "urban art" thumb.gif
  • bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited May 26, 2010
    Several visits and I like #1 (it took a bit :D).
    I simply like it for the one eye stare. While there I start to see more thumb.gif

By the way I'm an Ambi rolleyes1.gif
    edited May 26, 2010
    Thanks, Angelo. I liked it for the energy--the long strides and the arm position of the guy at the back--as well as the comp. You're right that it has some technical problems, mainly blur. I thought the second was better technically but not as strong an image and I thought that posting these together might provoke some discussion of technical vs. other merits, which is something I am still insecure about.
  • gorallygorally Registered Users Posts: 38 Big grins
    edited May 26, 2010
    #1 is better composed between the two. #2 looks like a shot that taken after the moment. The title is irrelavent to the photo. There seems many people carrying DSLR there.
    Ed
  • PattiPatti Registered Users Posts: 1,576 Major grins
    edited May 26, 2010
    The fellow on the cell reminds me of all of us lefties fighting the tide of right handedness in everything we do - like a salmon trying to swim agains the current. I like it.
    The use of a camera is similar to that of a knife. You can use it to peel potatoes, or carve a flute. ~ E. Kahlmeyer
    ... I'm still peeling potatoes.

patti hinton photography
  • Jack'll doJack'll do Registered Users Posts: 2,977 Major grins
    edited May 26, 2010
    15524779-Ti.gif with Patti. The man walking left is also set apart by the difference in his dress. Too bad he wasn't holding the phone in his left hand. :D I don't think the blur detracts here as the positives outweigh that little nit.

Jack
    (My real name is John but Jack'll do)
    edited May 27, 2010
    Thanks for the feedback, Ed, Patti and Jack. I have to say that I chose the title only because of the sign on the store. I did like Mr. Cell Phone going against the traffic but I didn't think of it in left/right terms. Since I'm right-handed myself, I don't think often about the handedness.
  • DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
    edited May 28, 2010
    Easily go with image one. Almost immediately more visually interesting
    than shot 2 and what it has to offer. There's a working balance in the composition
    of image 1 that I don't see in image 2. Also there is a movement flow that I
    take in with more interest at looking at. Everybody is doing something
    different and their hands helping to express that. A quick sum up of my
    impression. :D I do see your waiting for the fellows head to pass in front
    of the letter E.
    Michael
  • FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited May 28, 2010
    DaddyO wrote: »
    I do see your waiting for the fellows head to pass in front
    of the letter E.

Haha. The eternal problem for the srteet photographer. If Richard had waited for the fellow's head to clear the "E" the other fellow's head would have blocked the "L" !

I like #1 for all the reasons others who like it have mentioned.

For me the second one is a miss. While there is a nice triangular flow and sense of movement among the three people, I find the overall composition awkward with some of the head missing on the man looking towards the young woman and his partial body taking up so much of the frame on the right. Also, the second man seems to be looking at his luggage. Would have been better if he had been looking at the woman too. :D

Virginia

Email
    edited May 28, 2010
    Thanks for the comments, Michael and Virginia. I agree completely. thumb.gif