Bar series

lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
edited May 28, 2010 in Street and Documentary
First time trying to shoot in a very dark envioronment.

879167160_mQqZp-XL.jpg

879214685_3XDNv-XL.jpg

879181790_DpNnw-XL.jpg
Liz A.
_________

Comments

• black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,319 Major grins
    edited May 26, 2010
    Hey Liz,

I think a picture can be considered successful if it elicits an emotional response from the viewer. Shots #1 and #3 cause me to feel a foreboding sense of sadness. I'm not sure why....other than I've never been much on being a bar patron and I generally look on bars as being home to lost souls, at least in the context as you've shown here. I give these shots a big thumbs-up.thumb.gif

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • PattiPatti Registered Users Posts: 1,576 Major grins
    edited May 26, 2010
    #3 holds the emotion for me Liz. The composition and conversion communicate isolation to me.
    The use of a camera is similar to that of a knife. You can use it to peel potatoes, or carve a flute. ~ E. Kahlmeyer
    ... I'm still peeling potatoes.

patti hinton photography
  • BrewsterBrewster Registered Users Posts: 117 Major grins
    edited May 26, 2010
    Liz
    Wow, you nailed it on #3. I can see loneliness, and smell the cigarette smoke and stale beer.
    Excellent work.
  • Jack'll doJack'll do Registered Users Posts: 2,977 Major grins
    edited May 26, 2010
    I agree with the others on #3. Definitely a sad soul. I would have liked to see the crop not so close to his face but that bright spot peeking out from the top left corner may have given you little choice here. #2 is interesting. These two patrons obviously didn't come in together. One watching TV (maybe a ball game, and the other reading a book. Though I don't frequent bars, if my wife is away on business, I sometimes go for dinner and just feel more comfortable eating alone at the bar than at a table. Anyway I don't think I've ever seen anyone reading a book sitting at the bar. #1 would be great if not for the motion blur in the foreground. Long exposure, arm in motion as she goes to take a sip? headscratch.gif

Jack
    (My real name is John but Jack'll do)
  • lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
    edited May 27, 2010
    Hey Liz,

I think a picture can be considered successful if it elicits an emotional response from the viewer. Shots #1 and #3 cause me to feel a foreboding sense of sadness. I'm not sure why....other than I've never been much on being a bar patron and I generally look on bars as being home to lost souls, at least in the context as you've shown here. I give these shots a big thumbs-up.thumb.gif

Tom

Hi Tom,
    Glad it got that kind of response from you. It's the same feeling I had while taking the shots.
    I know in #1 she is a frequent, almost daily, customer, so it seems kind of sad, but it's her home away from home.

I used to bartend, so I remember that "family" feeling with some of my regulars. Sometimes it did strike me as a little sad though.
    Liz A.
    _________
    edited May 27, 2010
    Patti wrote: »
    #3 holds the emotion for me Liz. The composition and conversion communicate isolation to me.

Hi Patti,
    It was pretty dark in that bar, but occasionally the kitchen door would open and there was also the disco lights (bad lighting)--that's where #3 comes in. The door was open so I wanted to take the shot--I had to put my camera on the bar, frame it, and hit the shutter with a 2 second timer and pray she didn't move (if I tried to hold my camera and shoot, they were too blurry).

I know I chopped off a bit of the front, but I'm glad it's still a strong image.
    I think it's her eyes-the blank stare, that makes the image, for me anyway.
    Liz A.
    _________
    edited May 27, 2010
    Brewster wrote: »
    Liz
    Wow, you nailed it on #3. I can see loneliness, and smell the cigarette smoke and stale beer.
    Excellent work.

Thank you Brewster.
    It's a seedy little bar, but has a loyal clientele and a sweet bartender. I think they all feel at home there--he played Frank Sinatra music and made snack baskets for his clients. It was just such an odd combination.
    Liz A.
    _________
    edited May 27, 2010
    Jack'll do wrote: »
    I agree with the others on #3. Definitely a sad soul. I would have liked to see the crop not so close to his face but that bright spot peeking out from the top left corner may have given you little choice here. #2 is interesting. These two patrons obviously didn't come in together. One watching TV (maybe a ball game, and the other reading a book. Though I don't frequent bars, if my wife is away on business, I sometimes go for dinner and just feel more comfortable eating alone at the bar than at a table. Anyway I don't think I've ever seen anyone reading a book sitting at the bar. #1 would be great if not for the motion blur in the foreground. Long exposure, arm in motion as she goes to take a sip? headscratch.gif

Hello Jack,
    I got the feeling there were many lost souls there. They were all in their own worlds-watching tv, reading etc. just like you said. It's a gay bar, and I'm not sure what I expected when going there for the first time, but was surprised by the "lonely" vibe.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • ElectricDreamsElectricDreams Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins
    edited May 27, 2010
    Really good stuff. All of them are well composed but again, #1 and #3 definitely hit the mark on to what you were trying to convey. I also think B&W was the way to go, i think it adds to the lonely and sad tones in the picture. Keep up the good work.
    ELECTRIC DREAMS PHOTOGRAPHY
    By Patrick McPeak

Canon 400D (Rebel XTI)
    18-55 Kit Lens
    75-300 - F/4-5.6 USM
    50mm 1.4

Proud to be a Drexel Dragon.
  • bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited May 27, 2010
    Nice Series, does remind why I'm glad I never got into "Drinkin" :slosh :D
  • FlowermanFlowerman Registered Users Posts: 141 Major grins
    edited May 27, 2010
    Liz: They are all great - definetly tell a different story for each. I for one would like to see the color shots - they may be very grainy and give more mood to each situation.
    No matter what , you certainly nailed it - each shot stands on its own, another great point.
    ED

www.photoman74.smugmug.com
    edited May 28, 2010
    Really good stuff. All of them are well composed but again, #1 and #3 definitely hit the mark on to what you were trying to convey. I also think B&W was the way to go, i think it adds to the lonely and sad tones in the picture. Keep up the good work.

Thanks ElectricDreams--and welcome to the forum clap.gif.
    Liz A.
    _________
    edited May 28, 2010
    bfjr wrote: »
    Nice Series, does remind why I'm glad I never got into "Drinkin" :slosh :D

Well there are happy moments at bars--I just seem to have captured the not so happy ones.

Glad you like it Ben.
    Liz A.
    _________
    edited May 28, 2010
    Flowerman wrote: »
    Liz: They are all great - definetly tell a different story for each. I for one would like to see the color shots - they may be very grainy and give more mood to each situation.
    No matter what , you certainly nailed it - each shot stands on its own, another great point.
    ED

www.photoman74.smugmug.com

Color! bite your tongue! lol.

When I get home I will upload a color version--so you can compare. I wasn't crazy about it--but that's not to say it won't appeal to others.

Thanks for the comment Ed.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • bendruckerphotobendruckerphoto Registered Users Posts: 579 Major grins
    edited May 28, 2010
    Always keep in mind that the eye is attracted to the brightest part of the image. When that's not your subject, the viewer will be distracted from what you're trying to show them.
  • rainbowrainbow Registered Users Posts: 2,765 Major grins
    edited May 28, 2010
    Looks like you nailed the exposure and your processing works really well. I am not thrilled by the framing as all have the people facing the close edge of the frame (obviously, especially #3).

For your consideration:
    #1: cropping the left 1/4, maybe turning it into a portrait orientation.
    #2: crop either the left or the right person out using a square crop.
    #3: square crop, losing the right side