Options

My turn: My first wedding.

FoquesFoques Registered Users Posts: 1,951 Major grins
edited August 6, 2012 in Weddings
As you may recall from my previous threads, I was asked to shoot a wedding for my good friends. They insisted that I shoot it, saying that it is going to be either me or, likely, nobody at all.

Lessons were learned.
When Matt and a few others said that weddings move fast.. boy, were you not kidding. :huh I did mess up bad with timing.. Trying to accommodate all the requests that were coming to me, I didn't get a chance to get enough shots of the bride and groom.

Definitely need to be more aware of surrounding, and people in the background.. definitely need to be more mindful of the sun. Well, here comes nothing. The day was windy and cloudy.. Sun came out only a few times.. but most of them when I did not need it be out. :(

1)
462-L.jpg

2)
2-L.jpg

3) Bride's mum fixing the dress
15-L.jpg

4)
27-L.jpg

5) The deal with the ring that the ring setting came from Bride's grand mother, and diamond from groom's
32-L.jpg

6) This diamond came from bride's grand mother, and setting from groom's (i have a few versions of the images with variable focus)
42-L.jpg

7) The wedding was Scrabble themed. All men wore cuff links like that; Groom made a gift for all lads - striped purple socks, wallets and cuff links with their initials.
69-L.jpg

8)
82-L.jpg

9)
116-L.jpg

10)
119-L.jpg

11)
128-L.jpg

12) I know.. not a normal view on a bride. It doe fit her personality, though.
131-L.jpg

13)
130-L.jpg

14)
162-L.jpg

15) there were serious rain clouds coming our way when this was taken, there was no sun. however, as the groom saw his bride (I have a pic of that), the sun came out, and hit the patch right next to her.
217-L.jpg

16)
259-L.jpg

17)
262-L.jpg

18)
314-L.jpg

19)
352-L.jpg

20)
371-L.jpg

21)
457-L.jpg

If you're up for looking through more pictures from the wedding you may find them here; the password is Bass.

So.. lay it down on me. how bad did I do..?:scratch
Arseny - the too honest guy.
My Site
My Facebook

Comments

• Options
    QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited June 18, 2012
    great detail shots. I love #20..my favorite. your shots outside are a overexposed imo. I will take look at the gallery later
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Options
    jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    edited June 18, 2012
    I think these are great and although I am not a seasoned wedding photog, to me it does not look like your first wedding, so congrats! I looooove 11. Awesome idea and you executed it beautifully. 10 is a great guys shot too - the classic "Reservoir Dogs" shot. 19 does not work for me at all. On 21 I see what you were going for but I don't think it came out quite right, we're missing too much of his head, but it's still worth keeping. Anyway you should feel confident to offer wedding services going forward and charge accordingly.
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • Options
    edited June 18, 2012
    thank you gents.

Nearly all of them are shot in "jerry Ghionis" style - minimum flash, all natural light.

Qarik,I know.. I seem to be doing that. I should really calibrate my monitors. :\
    My Site
    My Facebook
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited June 18, 2012
    For a first wedding, as a favor for friends???!!?? Holy cow did THEY luck out. These are terrific, Foques - they should be thrilled with them!!!

I love 20 as well, and also 14, although I'd play with processing (a little more contrast, maybe?) and do some skin softening under her eyes.

You should be really pleased thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited June 18, 2012
    Thank you Diva. This means a hell of a lot!
    I will certainly do the adjustments! I was thinking if it was too flat myself.

Here is a dillema with the shoot, though. Bride's dad gave me a check.. Not a large sum, but none the less. I don't know if I should take advantage of that or not. :\
    My Site
    My Facebook
  • Options
    QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited June 18, 2012
    Foques wrote: »

Here is a dillema with the shoot, though. Bride's dad gave me a check.. Not a large sum, but none the less. I don't know if I should take advantage of that or not. :\

I don't see the issue..cash it.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Options
    JamesbjenkinsJamesbjenkins Registered Users Posts: 435 Major grins
    edited June 18, 2012
    Foques wrote: »

My policy is that it's extremely rude to return gifts given for "free" services. Take it, be gracious, enjoy the fruits of your (extremely good for a first wedding) photography!
    Proofing: clients.captured-photos.com
    Facebook: Like Me || Twitter: Follow Me
    Gear: Lots of Nikon bodies & glass, an office full of tools and toys
  • Options
    edited June 18, 2012
    well, when you put it that way.. I like it when you put it that way. :)
    thank you!
    My Site
    My Facebook
  • Options
    VayCayMomVayCayMom Registered Users Posts: 1,870 Major grins
    edited June 19, 2012
    Lovely set! Accept the check, consider it a tip. I agree outside shots are a teeny bit overexposed. Your friends knew what they were doing ! :) Congrats.
    Trudy
    www.CottageInk.smugmug.com

NIKON D700
  • Options
    edited June 19, 2012
    Thank you Trudy. :)
    My Site
    My Facebook
  • Options
    Ed911Ed911 Registered Users Posts: 1,306 Major grins
    edited June 19, 2012
    Nice shooting...especially for your first wedding. I really like 11...and I hope you got a shot of her with her face pointed toward the camera. You've made good use of the natural lighting.
    Remember, no one may want you to take pictures, but they all want to see them.
    Educate yourself like you'll live forever and live like you'll die tomorrow.

Ed
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited June 19, 2012
    My policy is that it's extremely rude to return gifts given for "free" services. Take it, be gracious, enjoy the fruits of your (extremely good for a first wedding) photography!

At the very least, if you hate accepting gift money then you can simply re-invest that $$ into a small product like a canvas print or an affordable photo book. :-)

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • Options
    edited June 20, 2012
    Thank you gents!

Matt, thoughts on the overall images?
    My Site
    My Facebook
  • Options
    amirgamirg Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited August 1, 2012
    6 and 14 are overexposed. also not a fan of 12 but overall you have done well for your first wedding.
  • Options
    TGAllenTGAllen Registered Users Posts: 161 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2012
    I think you did a great job! #11 is my favorite.
  • Options
    KinkajouKinkajou Registered Users Posts: 1,240 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2012
    +1 to everything said so far - awesome job for a first wedding! I can't wait to see where you go with this in the future :)
    Webpage

Spread the love! Go comment on something!
  • Options
    RachAllenPhotoRachAllenPhoto Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
    edited August 2, 2012
    FIRST wedding? You cant make me believe this is your first wedding. These are great shots. A little more processing on some of them and you will be golden! I LOVE LOVE LOVE the detail shots! Great job!
    Allen and Rachel
    http://www.rachelallenphotography.com
    Imagine...
  • Options
    edited August 6, 2012
    thank you very much, all. your kind words mean a lot!
    Amirg, it appears that many of my images spark a bit of an argument - for some those are overexposed, for some they are just right. I tend to think that they are, in fact, overexposed, and am trying to work on it. :) Thank you for looking.
    My Site
    My Facebook