Yosemite Nights

coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
edited June 9, 2010 in Landscapes
I was lucky to be able to spend a large part of last week in Yosemite. This was my second visit, the first was in January under a blanket of fresh snow. I wanted to view the park in spring to see the peak water flow, dogwoods in bloom, moonbows, and to check out Tioga Pass/Glacier Point (which weren't open by the time I left - next time!).

Here are some of my favorite night shots, taken under a full or nearly-full moon.

#1: Upper Yosemite Falls under the stars

882411807_ZS4HV-L.jpg

#2: Moonlight on El Capitan after dusk

882426062_ajMP8-L.jpg

#3: Upper and Lower Yosemite Falls

882449169_KSJuQ-L.jpg

#4: Moonbow from Lower Yosemite Falls (my first real moonbow, I could actually see the spectrum with my naked eye - very cool)

882429333_G7FXC-L.jpg

#5: Partial moonbow of Upper Yosemite Falls - there was too much cloud cover and fog to get a full moonbow any day I was there, I'll have to improve this shot next time.

882427053_Siv92-L.jpg

#6: El Capitan and Horsetail Falls

882430811_6Lo6z-L.jpg

#7: Upper and Lower Yosemite Falls (with a slight moonbow on Lower Yosemite Falls)

882430015_2cCLP-L.jpg

Comments

• rontront Registered Users Posts: 1,473 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2010
    Ron, these are some of the most awesome and interesting pictures I have ever seen of Yosemite!! IMHO, everyone of them is a wall hanger! I really enjoyed looking at these.

Ron
    "The question is not what you look at, but what you see". Henry David Thoreau

http://ront.smugmug.com/
    Nikon D600, Nikon 85 f/1.8G, Nikon 24-120mm f/4, Nikon 70-300, Nikon SB-700, Canon S95
  • rookieshooterrookieshooter Registered Users Posts: 539 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2010
    Very good. All of them are superb.
  • anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2010
    clap.gif #1 and #3 are pretty awesome!
    "The Journey of life is as much in oneself as the roads one travels"

Aaron Newman

Facebook: Capturing Light and Emotion
  • stirinthesaucestirinthesauce Registered Users Posts: 293 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2010
    outstanding!
  • Doug SolisDoug Solis Registered Users Posts: 1,190 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2010
    Heck of a series, it is hard to believe there were taken a night. I really like 2-4, very cool. Love how the long expoure stretches the clouds in #4 & #6
  • dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2010
    Yes! thumb.gif All of those are awesome photos! Very nice work indeed.

Portland, Oregon Photographer Pete Springer
    website blog instagram facebook g+

• CWSkopecCWSkopec Registered Users Posts: 1,325 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2010
    Great stuff, Ron! Love the El Cap & Horsetail Falls shot! clap.gif

Funny story... when I was in Yosemite, I spent almost an hour wandering around, trying to find Horsetail Falls and getting mad at myself for not being able to find a stupid waterfall! Turns out you need to go when there's water to fall to see it! :D
    Chris
    SmugMug QA
    My Photos
  • aguntheragunther Registered Users Posts: 242 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2010
    Moonbows are cool. I never thought of this. Amazing stuff.
  • coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2010
    ront wrote: »
    Ron, these are some of the most awesome and interesting pictures I have ever seen of Yosemite!! IMHO, everyone of them is a wall hanger! I really enjoyed looking at these.

Ron

Thanks Ron, Yosemite is a beautiful place, hard to take a bad photo. Hopefully I'll be able to make it back sometime in the next year.
    Very good. All of them are superb.

Thanks!
    anwmn1 wrote: »
    clap.gif #1 and #3 are pretty awesome!

Thanks, both of those are from Cooks Meadow which offers a great view of both falls. I wanted to do #1 with a moonbow but it was never quite clear enough.
    outstanding!

Thanks!
    Doug Solis wrote: »
    Heck of a series, it is hard to believe there were taken a night. I really like 2-4, very cool. Love how the long expoure stretches the clouds in #4 & #6

Thanks Doug, the clouds didn't help the moonbows, but I like the long exposure effect on the other shots and they made some of the sunsets and sunrises much more interesting.
    dogwood wrote: »
    Yes! thumb.gif All of those are awesome photos! Very nice work indeed.

You'll be happy to know that I have some dogwood photos too from my trip :) I'll post them here in the next few days.
    CWSkopec wrote: »
    Great stuff, Ron! Love the El Cap & Horsetail Falls shot! clap.gif

Funny story... when I was in Yosemite, I spent almost an hour wandering around, trying to find Horsetail Falls and getting mad at myself for not being able to find a stupid waterfall! Turns out you need to go when there's water to fall to see it! :D

Thanks! That shot was just driving around looking for things to shoot after the moonbow time period was over. Amazing how you can just pull off the shoulder of the road and see so many awesome landscape opportunities. And I hear you about Horsetail Falls - when I went in winter I knew it wouldn't be visible but I still though I should detect where it would be at, but I have no idea. Even now, having seen it, if it wasn't running I probably wouldn't be able to locate it. In February it would be easy - just follow the tripods :D
    agunther wrote: »
    Moonbows are cool. I never thought of this. Amazing stuff.

Thanks. There's actually an easily googable website which lists the times when moonbows are visible within Yosemite Valley. The best conditions are when there is peak spray (April, May, or June depending on the year), a bright full or nearly full moon front lighting the falls, and no cloud cover.
  • YosemYosem Registered Users Posts: 24 Big grins
    edited June 4, 2010
    wonderful work on these waterfalls. The milky affect at night really brings out a beautiful look with them. My favorites are the Elcap shot with Ribbon falls and a Lower yosemite image. Great stuff and good job here
  • astrostuastrostu Registered Users Posts: 85 Big grins
    edited June 4, 2010
    Wow ... just, wow ...

Body: Canon 350D, Canon 7D
    Lenses: Canon 35mm f/1.4L, Canon 24-70mm f/2.8L, Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS, Canon 18-55mm f/3.5-4.5, Quantaray 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6, Quantaray 600-1000mm f/9.6-16
    Flashes: Canon 430EX, Canon 580EX II
  • YosemYosem Registered Users Posts: 24 Big grins
    edited June 5, 2010
    I'd love to get some idea of your stats for these shots. Were you at F4 with 200 speed or say 100, and how long of an exposure?
  • NorthernFocusNorthernFocus Registered Users Posts: 1,347 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2010
    Simply awesome clap.gif
    Dan

My Photo Gallery:Northern Focus Photography
    I wish I was half the man that my dog thinks I am...
    edited June 5, 2010
    Yosem wrote: »
    I'd love to get some idea of your stats for these shots. Were you at F4 with 200 speed or say 100, and how long of an exposure?

The moonbows I tried to optimize for short exposure times (wide open, ISO 800 or so).

The full EXIF data is available for all these photos on my Yosemite gallery:

http://photos.coscorrosa.com/Landscapes/Yosemite/
  • dlsdls Registered Users Posts: 385 Major grins
    edited June 7, 2010
    these turned out quite well, ron. the polaris star trails over upper yosemite is dead on, and the moonbows showed up quite nicely, despite the finicky weather. love your moonlit tunnel view (mine didn't turn out as well, i think). but my faves are #4 and #6, with the streaking clouds over lower yo falls and over el cap/horsetail. great stuff.
  • Alpha_PlusAlpha_Plus Registered Users Posts: 253 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2010
    #1, 6, & 7 do it for me.. Fantastic!! thumb.gif
    Karl Lindsay
    Nikon D600
    Samyang 14mm f/2.8 | Nikkor 24mm f/2.8 | Nikkor 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6 | Nikkor 50mm f/1.8
    Induro CT-014 Tripod
    karllindsayphotography.com | Photos on Facebook | 500px
  • dseidmandseidman Registered Users Posts: 824 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2010
    #4 and #7 are the best of this series, in my opinion. This is some awesome night photography.
    edited June 8, 2010
    dls wrote: »
    these turned out quite well, ron. the polaris star trails over upper yosemite is dead on, and the moonbows showed up quite nicely, despite the finicky weather. love your moonlit tunnel view (mine didn't turn out as well, i think). but my faves are #4 and #6, with the streaking clouds over lower yo falls and over el cap/horsetail. great stuff.

It's hard to screw up Yosemite. The full moon basically extends the shooting day another 3 hours (and adversely affects sleep the same amount - but you can sleep later).
    Alpha_Plus wrote: »
    #1, 6, & 7 do it for me.. Fantastic!! thumb.gif

Thanks!
    dseidman wrote: »
    #4 and #7 are the best of this series, in my opinion. This is some awesome night photography.

Hopefully on my next visit there will be more moonbow opportunities, but I was happy to have a few nights with low enough cloud cover to do some interesting shots.
  • ThwackThwack Registered Users Posts: 487 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2010
    Wikipedia disagrees with your location for Horsetail Fall. It's on the east side of El Cap (back side). Your shot above (#6) is on El Cap's west side.

There is a small waterfall on the eastern edge of the rock wall (off the right hand edge of your shot) behind El Cap's face that was still flowing Memorial Day. It had much less water than the waterfall in your shot.

Having stopped at the GPS coords posted somewhere here on DG for shooting Horsetail Fall "lava shots", I'm pretty sure the fall in #6 is not Horsetail (but I've been wrong about many other things so please don't be bashful if you disagree).

Here's a link for an article on Horsetail Fall which also says it's on the east side of El Cap (along with some additional info for folks interested in seeing the lava-effect in person): http://shutterbug.com/techniques/outdoor_travel/1206locations/

I think the waterfall in #6 is Ribbon Fall.

Nice captures regardless!
    edited June 9, 2010
    Thwack wrote: »
    I think the waterfall in #6 is Ribbon Fall.

Nice captures regardless!

You're correct.