The Event Marketing Help Thread

Comments

• dbvetodbveto Registered Users Posts: 660 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2010
    I to want to create an event that anybody can visit and register to save favorites but I want to have it listed like an album and be able to see it. The events I have created the font color over ride mine and change to colors that I can't read.
    Dennis
    http://www.realphotoman.com/
    Work in progress
    http://www.realphotoman.net/ Zenfolio 10% off Referral Code: 1KH-5HX-5HU
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2010
    dbveto wrote: »
    I to want to create an event that anybody can visit and register to save favorites but I want to have it listed like an album and be able to see it. The events I have created the font color over ride mine and change to colors that I can't read.
    Link to the event please? ear.gif
  • MarloweMarlowe Registered Users Posts: 219 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2010
    Hi, I'm a little unsure about what is made available to particpants and registered guests; I checked out one registered guest's gallery, and under "tools" then "gallery settings" I found that "original" photo size was enabled by default. Does this mean this guest had access to the original? Or, are the settings such as watermark, max photo size viewable etc always inherited from the original gallery of each photo chosen as a favorite? Just a bit startled when I realized I may have given away 6 full size images!
    Jon
  • SheafSheaf Registered Users, SmugMug Product Team Posts: 775 SmugMug Employee
    edited June 30, 2010
    Marlowe wrote: »
    Hi, I'm a little unsure about what is made available to particpants and registered guests; I checked out one registered guest's gallery, and under "tools" then "gallery settings" I found that "original" photo size was enabled by default. Does this mean this guest had access to the original? Or, are the settings such as watermark, max photo size viewable etc always inherited from the original gallery of each photo chosen as a favorite? Just a bit startled when I realized I may have given away 6 full size images!
    Jon

The photos are just collected from their original galleries, which means they inherit the same properties, including watermarks, size restrictions, etc.
    SmugMug Product Manager
    edited June 30, 2010
    Andy wrote: »
    Link to the event please? ear.gif
    It does not matter now. After contacting the support crew I was basically told to use the Web developer plug in to find out which elements I need to change, so I have spent the last two hours going through and testing to find out how to make the page readable.

Instead of going through photos to upgrade to the event I have spent the time doing this. I understand now that I should just figure it out myself instead of contacting supportheadscratch.gif
    Dennis
    Work in progress
    edited July 2, 2010
    I understand now that I should just figure it out myself instead of contacting supportheadscratch.gif

No, but we don't do advanced customizing from the help desk, I'm so sorry. We do that on the customizing forum here on Dgrin, and if you just post & ask the question there, we and our helpers happily help. Been doing it this way for 8 + years and many many happy customizers. Sorry for the confusion!
    edited July 2, 2010
    No, but we don't do advanced customizing from the help desk, I'm so sorry. We do that on the customizing forum here on Dgrin, and if you just post & ask the question there, we and our helpers happily help. Been doing it this way for 8 + years and many many happy customizers. Sorry for the confusion!
    When I implemented the event page it was virtually unreadable because the background and fonts were different than the rest of my site. In the past I have received code snippets from the help desk. My main point was why does the event page override my site settings?
    Dennis
    Work in progress
    edited July 2, 2010
    When I implemented the event page it was virtually unreadable because the background and fonts were different than the rest of my site. In the past I have received code snippets from the help desk. My main point was why does the event page override my site settings?
    I'll certainly help :) Post a link to your event in the customizing forum and let me have a look, thanks!
  • bendruckerphotobendruckerphoto Registered Users Posts: 579 Major grins
    edited July 2, 2010
    edited July 2, 2010
    Try using the !important tag in your custom CSS.
    What is the !important tag and how do you use it?
    Ok I found out how the important tag is used. I just need to find what element changes the font.
    Dennis
    Work in progress
    edited July 2, 2010
    What is the !important tag and how do you use it?
    Ok I found out how the important tag is used. I just need to find what element changes the font.

We answered in your other thread thumb.gif
    edited July 2, 2010
    We answered in your other thread thumb.gif
    Sorry I just clicked the link in my post notification and I did not realize it was this post.
    Dennis
    Work in progress
  • liflanderliflander Registered Users Posts: 339 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2010
    Sorry if these have been covered....

1- Can I track who visits my event page like I can with a share email from a regular gallery?

2- Can I arrange the elements on my event page? I want to put the galleries above the slideshow.

3- Can I send a share link from an event page that's nice and pretty with background color and a photo like the email that gets sent from a regular gallery? The emails sent from event pages seem to be plain text.

Thanks,
    Mark
    edited July 8, 2010
    Re: The Event Marketing Help Thread
    Annyone? Bueller?

LiflanderPhotography.com
    edited July 8, 2010
    liflander wrote: »
    Sorry if these have been covered....

1- Can I track who visits my event page like I can with a share email from a regular gallery?

2- Can I arrange the elements on my event page? I want to put the galleries above the slideshow.

3- Can I send a share link from an event page that's nice and pretty with background color and a photo like the email that gets sent from a regular gallery? The emails sent from event pages seem to be plain text.

Thanks,
    Mark

Easy answer. No, no, and no. :D
    edited July 8, 2010
    Thanks, Ben. I hope these features get implemented.

And thanks to the SmugMug team for all your great efforts!

Cheers.
    Easy answer. No, no, and no. :D
    edited July 9, 2010
    featured event not showing up as featured
    I am trying to feature my saved events on my galleries page, but they are not showing up. I have a couple of galleries featured, and they show up fine.

One of my featured events:
    http://www.liflanderphotography.com/event/Ryans-Bat-Mitzvah <!-- <input id="guestLinkURL" type="text" class="text-input-link" value="http://www.liflanderphotography.com/event/Ryans-Bat-Mitzvah&quot; /> -->

My featured galleries on my gallery page (which is not my homepage because I only have a slideshow on my homepage):
    http://www.liflanderphotography.com/galleries

Any help is appreciated.
    edited July 9, 2010
    You should probably post this in the customization forum. Since the separate galleries page is a javascript workaround, you may need to do something additional to have the featured events appear. If I knew what it was, I'd post it here. But since there may be a bit of a dialog to get an answer, it's probably best to create a new thread and let someone who knows what they're doing help you out.
    edited July 9, 2010
    Re: The Event Marketing Help Thread
    Ben, thanks again. I'll head over to the customization forum.
    Cheers.

LiflanderPhotography.com
  • tmanchestertmanchester Registered Users Posts: 95 Big grins
    edited September 3, 2010
    I'd love to be able to simply download the names and emails of all who register for an event in one CSV or XLS file. That way, I can use them in future emails to publicize similar events. I'll post this in feature requests, but is there any idea if this is being considered?
    edited September 4, 2010
    I'd love to be able to simply download the names and emails of all who register for an event in one CSV or XLS file. That way, I can use them in future emails to publicize similar events. I'll post this in feature requests, but is there any idea if this is being considered?

+1. tmanchster, have you already posted this in the feedback forum? Rather than duplicate your request, I'd like to vote for yours.

Edit: Found it. http://feedback.smugmug.com/forums/17723-smugmug/suggestions/1035001-provide-download-of-all-who-register-for-an-event-?ref=title for all those who want to vote for it.
    edited October 1, 2010
    +1. c'mon smugmug. improve the marketing features! this is a basic function of any decent email program. i get email blasts from photoshelter photographers, and i imagine the sales i might get if smugmug had similar features.
  • haynesmahaynesma Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited October 20, 2010
    I'm sorry, but after reading the info on events and then 9 pages of replies on this forum (including problems that have been fixed), I am confused about events now.

I am new to SM and am trying to figure out how to organize my events/galleries, etc. I like the benefits of events, and want to use it for tagging and all.

Is there a currently valid tutorial somewhere that goes through an example on how to organize and use all of this?

I am a wedding photog and would like to organize things like events, and then have galleries for each event (such as getting ready, ceremony, reception, ...)

For example, I would like to have all of my events listed on my homepage. But from what I see I can only list up to 4 featured events on my homepage.

I am sure these issues have been posted over and over again. The forum just has me wrapped around the axle.

Just a point in the right direction would be very helpful.

Thanks in advance.

Mark
  • gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2010
    haynesma wrote: »
    I'm sorry, but after reading the info on events and then 9 pages of replies on this forum (including problems that have been fixed), I am confused about events now.

I am new to SM and am trying to figure out how to organize my events/galleries, etc. I like the benefits of events, and want to use it for tagging and all.

Is there a currently valid tutorial somewhere that goes through an example on how to organize and use all of this?

I am a wedding photog and would like to organize things like events, and then have galleries for each event (such as getting ready, ceremony, reception, ...)

For example, I would like to have all of my events listed on my homepage. But from what I see I can only list up to 4 featured events on my homepage.

I am sure these issues have been posted over and over again. The forum just has me wrapped around the axle.

Just a point in the right direction would be very helpful.

Thanks in advance.

Mark
    Hi Mark and welcome to Dgrin! There is a help page for Events here if you have not seen it yet:

http://www.smugmug.com/help/event-marketing

Lets start with some basics. You first need to upload your photos to Galleries. Those Galleries can be organized with Categories and Subcategories.

Categories can be a little confusing sometimes. Here's a brief overview:

Categories>Subcategories>Galleries>Photos
    Categories>Galleries>Photos

Categories can contain Subcategories and Galleries.
    Subcategories only contain Galleries
    Galleries only contain photos

Photos can only be held inside galleries.

To create, modify, and delete categories and subcategories go to Control Panel>Customize and then click on Categories or Subcategories.
    To move galleries between Categories and Subcategories go to your gallery>Gallery Tools>Customize Gallery. There you can change the Categories under the green heading Essentials. You can change Subcategories under the green heading Extras.

Categories and Subcategories are great to Organize your shoots or any time you need some extra organization. Here's an examples:

Weddings (Category)
    Name of Couple (Sub-category)
    Getting Ready (Gallery)
    Ceremony (Gallery)
    Formals (Gallery)
    Reception (Gallery)

Here's some more info on Categories and Subcategories: http://www.smugmug.com/help/upload-photo

Once you have your photos uploaded into Galleries you can add those Galleries to an Event. Take a look at this demo site for an example of a Wedding Event http://andydemo.smugmug.com/event/Deshaw-Skow

For now you cannot automatically list all of your Events on your Homepage. You could use html to add a list or even thumbnails with text to display all your Events in your Bio box on your Homepage. That would be a manual work around to get all your Events displayed on your Homepage.
    Nick
    SmugMug Technical Account Manager
    Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
    nickwphoto
  • haynesmahaynesma Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited October 20, 2010
    Nick,

Wow, thanks. For the most part, that was exactly the summary I was asking for.

I had seen the event tutorial, both written and video, and that did not answer some of my questions.

But you did. The thing I am going to have to do now is to find examples of how to list events with thumbnails on the homepage. I will go to the customization forum for that.

Thanks again Nick. Big help.
  • schliaschlia Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    edited October 29, 2010
    Is there a way to create an email template and use it in all Events? I can only seem to use a template in the event that it was created.
  • thegrepperthegrepper Registered Users Posts: 25 Big grins
    edited October 29, 2010
    Help!

This my be a far out request but here goes. Events work perfectly for marketing prints but I'd like to find a way to leverage my customer's favorite images for a Wedding Album. Here's what I'm thinking. After shooting a wedding, I provide my customer with a link to their event. After they pick their favorites and order prints, I'd also like to use their favorite list to create a custom album. But I somehow need to capture the image names and then flag the original images in my Lightroom catalog (ideally as a custom collection in Lightroom). It would be great if I could click on a button on the event page for my customer and it would somehow synchronize with Lightroom or create a collection file I could somehow import into Lightroom which would identify the favorites. Hopefully this makes sense... Again, it may be way out there but it would be a huge help in terms of workflow. Thanks in advance.
    edited October 30, 2010
    thegrepper wrote: »
    Help!

This my be a far out request but here goes. Events work perfectly for marketing prints but I'd like to find a way to leverage my customer's favorite images for a Wedding Album. Here's what I'm thinking. After shooting a wedding, I provide my customer with a link to their event. After they pick their favorites and order prints, I'd also like to use their favorite list to create a custom album. But I somehow need to capture the image names and then flag the original images in my Lightroom catalog (ideally as a custom collection in Lightroom). It would be great if I could click on a button on the event page for my customer and it would somehow synchronize with Lightroom or create a collection file I could somehow import into Lightroom which would identify the favorites. Hopefully this makes sense... Again, it may be way out there but it would be a huge help in terms of workflow. Thanks in advance.

That would be fantastic if someone could figure some way to hack it together. So far I've just been copying between Lightroom picks and Smugmug favorites manually.
  • thaKingthaKing Registered Users Posts: 478 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2010
    ok, trying to figure out how to utilize Events to it's fullest. Hopefully someone can help me out with some questions. Here's how I've normally handled things:
    • create an unlisted gallery with unedited photos (not ready for purchase)
    • client creates a list of photos they like best and emails me the list
    • i edit photos per list and replace the unedited version with the new version (hiding the photos they did not select)
    So now I want to utilize Events to do the same thing - basically. If I create an event, can it be an unlisted gallery with not purchase available at first? If a visitor (whom I've sent the link to) selects all their favorites, can I replace unedited with new version and hide the ones that were not their "favorites"? By doing what I'm proposing above, does that modify the links or anything if I then make it listed and available for printing? Meaning, the original link they have (the link with unedited photos not ready for print), is that then the same link once I edit photos and make them ready for printing?

I hope I make sense. The events feature is the one thing that is confusing me about SM.

Thanks!
    edited October 31, 2010
    thaKing wrote: »
    ok, trying to figure out how to utilize Events to it's fullest. Hopefully someone can help me out with some questions. Here's how I've normally handled things:
    • create an unlisted gallery with unedited photos (not ready for purchase)
    • client creates a list of photos they like best and emails me the list
    • i edit photos per list and replace the unedited version with the new version (hiding the photos they did not select)
    So now I want to utilize Events to do the same thing - basically. If I create an event, can it be an unlisted gallery with not purchase available at first? If a visitor (whom I've sent the link to) selects all their favorites, can I replace unedited with new version and hide the ones that were not their "favorites"? By doing what I'm proposing above, does that modify the links or anything if I then make it listed and available for printing? Meaning, the original link they have (the link with unedited photos not ready for print), is that then the same link once I edit photos and make them ready for printing?

I hope I make sense. The events feature is the one thing that is confusing me about SM.

Thanks!

Your best bet is probably to continue make a listed gallery in the event, but keeping the event unpublished as well. Have your client select favorites. Call it EventName - Client Selection or whatever you choose. Then, when you're ready to have the event be public, create another gallery as a smart gallery (and associate it with the event), populated by the contents of the favorites gallery that SmugMug has created for your client/event (kept in the Event Favorites category). Remove the Client Selection gallery from the event and make it unlisted if you want, but don't delete it as that is where the actual photos will be stored.

I haven't actually tested this, but it should work. It also offers the added benefit of allowing your clients to tweak what photos are visible. If they remove a photo as a favorite, I think it should instantly disappear. Although you'll have to try this out. It's a bit convoluted if you didn't notice... mwink.gif