Options

Snow and a carriage

ThelensspotThelensspot Registered Users Posts: 2,041 Major grins
edited January 29, 2016 in Other Cool Shots
DSC_7869-XL.jpg
"Photography is partly art and partly science. Really good photography adds discipline, sacrifice and a never ending pursuit of photographic excellence"...ziggy53

Comments

• Options
    EiaEia Registered Users Posts: 3,627 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2016
    Gorgeous - gorgeous! Looks very authentic, never mind their dedication! . My favorite so far!!! clap.gif
  • Options
    StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2016
    Eia wrote: »
    Gorgeous - gorgeous! Looks very authentic, never mind their dedication! . My favorite so far!!! clap.gif

+1

Joyous!
  • Options
    edited January 18, 2016
    Stumblebum wrote: »
    +1

Joyous!

AnnaMaria, Taz, thank you for the feedback. Much appreciated!

Take care,

Wayne
    "Photography is partly art and partly science. Really good photography adds discipline, sacrifice and a never ending pursuit of photographic excellence"...ziggy53

• Options
    edited January 18, 2016
    Eia wrote: »

Thank you, AnnaMaria!

• Options
    black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,321 Major grins
    edited January 19, 2016
    Terrific shot, Wayne. thumb.gif I would clone out the few stray, overhanging limbs at the top. In fact, I went a bit further than that...I cropped from the top enough to omit all the loose limbs at the top. I also cropped from the right about an inch and from the left about an inch and a half. The effect I was after was to enlarge the main subject...that being the carriage and driver. It's a wonderful scene that you have beautifully captured.

Keep up the good work,

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • Options
    edited January 19, 2016
    Terrific shot, Wayne. thumb.gif I would clone out the few stray, overhanging limbs at the top. In fact, I went a bit further than that...I cropped from the top enough to omit all the loose limbs at the top. I also cropped from the right about an inch and from the left about an inch and a half. The effect I was after was to enlarge the main subject...that being the carriage and driver. It's a wonderful scene that you have beautifully captured.

Keep up the good work,

Tom

Thank you Tom!...your thoughts and recommendations as always are greatly appreciated.

Take care,

Wayne

Here's another shot....just a few seconds earlier which you may like better...

DSC_7868-XL.jpg

• Options
    travelwaystravelways Registered Users Posts: 7,854 Major grins
    edited January 19, 2016
    They are both gorgeous! clap.gif
    Tatiana - Seeing the world through my camera
    TravelwaysPhotos.com ...... Facebook
    VegasGreatAttractions.com
    Travelways.com
  • Options
    sarasphotossarasphotos Registered Users Posts: 3,831 Major grins
    edited January 19, 2016
    Hi Wayne, I like both pictures although for me they envoke completely different moods. For me, shot #1 is more wintry, probably because there is more snow showing on the houses and the entire picture has a bleaker look - even the horses seem to e hanging their heads a bit more. Because of the popping colors (especially the red) I find picture #2 almost cheerful. Interesting, isn't it, what different crops and processing can do for the same scene?

Cheers, Sara
  • Options
    edited January 19, 2016
    Hi Wayne, I like both pictures although for me they envoke completely different moods. For me, shot #1 is more wintry, probably because there is more snow showing on the houses and the entire picture has a bleaker look - even the horses seem to e hanging their heads a bit more. Because of the popping colors (especially the red) I find picture #2 almost cheerful. Interesting, isn't it, what different crops and processing can do for the same scene?

Cheers, Sara

15524779-Ti.gif
    Travelways.com
  • Options
    StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
    edited January 19, 2016
    hi wayne, i like both pictures although for me they envoke completely different moods. For me, shot #1 is more wintry, probably because there is more snow showing on the houses and the entire picture has a bleaker look - even the horses seem to e hanging their heads a bit more. Because of the popping colors (especially the red) i find picture #2 almost cheerful. Interesting, isn't it, what different crops and processing can do for the same scene?

Cheers, sara

+1
  • Options
    EiaEia Registered Users Posts: 3,627 Major grins
    edited January 19, 2016
  • Options
    edited January 19, 2016
    Thanks everyone for the kind comments and taking the time to look at the pictures.

Sara, you are correct on all counts...after looking at the second shot posted, I decided it didn't look as bleak as the weather actually was at the time...so on the first shot I desaturated the colors, and placed a fog haze over the shot...and with layer masking I brought back color slightly to the carriage but only partially removed the "haze" so that one would get the impression that not only was it snowing but that there might be a little fog or mist present and perhaps water on the lens due to the heavy snow (which actually there was to a point).

Thanks again.

Wayne

Here two more more from that same morning in Colonial Williamsburg...this is snow from Sunday morning of this past weekend. It snowed hard but did not accumulate to any great degree. Just made for some interesting shots.

DSC_7861-XL.jpg

DSC_7902-XL.jpg

• Options
    black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,321 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2016
    Wayne...

You hit a goldmine in Williamsburg. I like all the additional shots you've shown. I do prefer the second issue of the original scene just because the main subject is larger...but that's a very subjective position. As Sara pointed out, it's interesting that the variance in the mood projected by the two images can be fairly dramatic. What really counts is that you are honing your photographic skills and we get to enjoy the fruits of your labor.

Take care,

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • Options
    edited January 20, 2016
    They are all wonderful and great processing too!
    Travelways.com
  • Options
    edited January 20, 2016
    Wayne...

You hit a goldmine in Williamsburg. I like all the additional shots you've shown. I do prefer the second issue of the original scene just because the main subject is larger...but that's a very subjective position. As Sara pointed out, it's interesting that the variance in the mood projected by the two images can be fairly dramatic. What really counts is that you are honing your photographic skills and we get to enjoy the fruits of your labor.

Take care,

Tom

Tom...you are very very kind! Much appreciated. I go into Colonial Williamsburg generally everyday...morning or late afternoon to photograph the town. Someday I'll get it right!

Thank you again,

Wayne
    travelways wrote: »
    They are all wonderful and great processing too!

Tatiana, I'm always anxious to get your input. Thank you!

Wayne

• Options
    willard3willard3 Registered Users Posts: 2,580 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2016
    Love the archaic feel and the nice color contrasts from the snow.

Probably need snow tires, Wayne.....if not now , definitely thos week-end.
    It is better to die on you feet than to live on your knees.....Emiliano Zapata
  • Options
    edited January 22, 2016
    willard3 wrote: »
    Love the archaic feel and the nice color contrasts from the snow.

Probably need snow tires, Wayne.....if not now , definitely thos week-end.

It's coming!!!

• Options
    willard3willard3 Registered Users Posts: 2,580 Major grins
    edited January 23, 2016
    I keep coming back to these , Wayne. Love the Raleigh Tavern especially
    It is better to die on you feet than to live on your knees.....Emiliano Zapata
  • Options
    edited January 29, 2016
    willard3 wrote: »
    I keep coming back to these , Wayne. Love the Raleigh Tavern especially

Willard...thank you. They were really fun to shoot as well. Glad you like them.

Take care,

Wayne